I need help! I dropped my smok stick in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgottaSmokStick

Apr 15, 2018
Four hours ago, around 3:00am I sat my smok Stick Prince on the porch to grab something. The wind wasn't blowing too hard while i was outside, but as soon as I walked back out it felt like it was pouring rain and my vape was blown off. I live on a big hill with lots of brush so it took me a while to find it. But I have it now and it's turned off and I'm not sure what to do. Should I use rice? Alcohol? A blow dryer?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Four hours ago, around 3:00am I sat my smok Stick Prince on the porch to grab something. The wind wasn't blowing too hard while i was outside, but as soon as I walked back out it felt like it was pouring rain and my vape was blown off. I live on a big hill with lots of brush so it took me a while to find it. But I have it now and it's turned off and I'm not sure what to do. Should I use rice? Alcohol? A blow dryer?
If it has a removable battery take it out. One time I dropped a Vision spinner in my aquarium. Turns out it was waterproof to a point. I did put it upside down in a container of rice for 3 days though. It worked well afterwards.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If it has a removable battery take it out. One time I dropped a Vision spinner in my aquarium. Turns out it was waterproof to a point. I did put it upside down in a container of rice for 3 days though. It worked well afterwards.
According to @untar rice is an old wives tale. What works best apparently is to rinse it in 90+% alcohol to literally wash the water off.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
According to @untar rice is an old wives tale. What works best apparently is to rinse it in 90+% alcohol to literally wash the water off.
I kind of thought so. This was new to me until recently, saw a reference to the rice being a myth.... Good info! Thank you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would dry it and wash it thoroughly after removing the battery. Some of it may depend on how wet it got. The suggestion of alcohol is a good one, IMO. You could try the blow dryer setting on low, although I'd be more inclined to let it sit with as much of it "open" as you can, after wiping it down.

I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of it still working, depending on how wet it got and how lucky you are. The tank should be fine, however.

Best of luck!

Anna

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Four hours ago, around 3:00am I sat my Smok Stick Prince on the porch to grab something. The wind wasn't blowing too hard while i was outside, but as soon as I walked back out it felt like it was pouring rain and my vape was blown off. I live on a big hill with lots of brush so it took me a while to find it. But I have it now and it's turned off and I'm not sure what to do. Should I use rice? Alcohol? A blow dryer?

Was it the only mod you own?

I had one take a quick dip in the lake and just opened it up and let it sit for about a week and it fired up fine. Might be a problem if it's you only mod.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Was it the only mod you own?

I had one take a quick dip in the lake and just opened it up and let it sit for about a week and it fired up fine. Might be a problem if it's you only mod.
Was that the day you caught the giant freakin' fish?

Reactions: stols001

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
So, distilled water is almost non-conductive. Clean water has very little conductivity. If your device was off at the time, let it dry out (if you can open it and blowdry, better. Probably will work fine. If it landed in a dirty puddle, you may have a bunch of cleaning to do... Pure isopropyl will absorb water and remove it, but doesn't play well with all components. A vape is a much simpler device than a phone, there is a video on youtube of an arduino clone being run in a bowl of water.
See tests here.

Last edited:
  • Useful

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Now that this has been covered, Im adding a handy hint. A few grains of rice in your salt shaker will prevent clumping from humidity. It is the only absorbent I would use with food! This is probably where the whole rice thing started! As mooch stated, locking moisture up in a bag, is contraindicated.
The electronic component industry, when drying is needed, puts components in a low temp oven (100C) with positive ventilation, to dry parts which have accumulated moisture. This temp may not be safe for all plastic parts. A warmer than room temp environment, though, will help evaporation, as will dry air, if you live in non-humid place! I would dissassemble and use forced air and gentle heat, to minimize the corrosion from water standing on boards.
My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread