I need help with a better build and ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLake1978

Nov 29, 2017
I've been a vaper for 2yrs. Always built my own coils for my drippers on a regulated device. I just got my first mech mod.. the pulse 24 with the Pulse squank box. I bought an Ijoy 20700 5 Leg to go with it. Building my coils I've not built lower than .19 and to be honest the clouds just aren't there. I want to be safe but this sucks. So.. I would love to know what is the lowest in ohms I can build my coils and still be safe. I've done the calculators and they all say .2 and than other vapors are building as low as .1-.15ohms. I just need a real answer. What's the lowest build I should use? I'm currently using size 30 with 22 gauge kanthal 7 wraps.. can anyone direct me as to where I'm going wrong. What should I use and where should my ohms be to get a warmer vape with good cloud production.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Concerning Ben85's above post, I agree wholeheartedly. I'll repeat what I posted in your original thread in the New Members Forum:

22 gauge is pretty thick wire, resulting in a coil with a LOT OF MASS. It takes a lot of voltage to fire up a coil with that much mass, and it takes longer to heat up that coil, too. It really drains a battery FAST. Exotic coils make a lot of mass.

I would suggest to use a thinner gauge wire, probably 26 gauge ... 24 gauge at most. Build a either a SIMPLE SINGLE coil of 0.3 ohm or two simple coils at 0.6 ohm (to end up with 0.3 ohm). K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). This will keep you within the continuous discharge rate of any 20 or 30 amp battery (so you're "safer") and you'll have less coil mass for a faster ramp up time. You should still get plenty of cloud production. And with less drain on the battery, they'll last longer per charge.

If you're really only concerned about humongous cloud production, go back to a high wattage REGULATED two or three battery mod.

BTW, there is no "safe" build under 0.3 ohm with a single battery mechanical mod in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The OP is using a cell tested by mooch to have a 30a CDR. There are safe builds under .3Ω.
But, there is no reason to go that low looking for an outstanding vape. (cloudz, heat, flavor, density)

Thinner wire will help.
26ga - 28ga kanthal or 24ga ss316 would be places to start.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it's important to point out that YES there is more to vaping than ohms when it comes to clouds, and even if I were to build a 0.02 coil in one of my MTL tanks and vape it at my normal wattage and airflow.... Not so much would happen.

Getting cloudy/flavor depends on a ton of factors and (in my opinion only) including the state of your lungs. I smoked long enough that with the best vape in the world I won't be winning any cloud chasing competitions. My son vaped sub0hm and could cloud up my entire house without much effort with a 0.25 coil.

Airflow matters, juice matters and there are lots of other things that matter too... If it were me, I'd be erring on the side of caution, trying some different KINDS of wires, or toppers and etc., not looking to be on the very edge of my (new) battery's safety limits as it started to age.

No offense to anyone meant, but there does exist a point of diminishing returns with low builds.... Best of luck finding something you like but really, being cautious is important as well.

Anna

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
The OP is using a cell tested by mooch to have a 30a CDR. There are safe builds under .3Ω.
But, there is no reason to go that low looking for an outstanding vape. (cloudz, heat, flavor, density)

Thinner wire will help.
26ga - 28ga kanthal or 24ga ss316 would be places to start.
while you can build under the real question is why? Dont get me wrong i have built plenty of sub .2 on single 18650 mechs but again why? I can blow just as much cloud with a build .3 and above with the proper rda with good airflow.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
What Baditude said. A couple of coils made from 24 or 26 gauge Kanthal should do the trick. I use both frequently for dual coil builds on single-battery mech mods and get great vapor and flavor.

Right now I have dual Kanthal coils (2.5mm, 5-6 wraps, 26ga) in my Woto Serpent BF RDA on a single-battery Pulse squonk box and it ramps quickly and produces tons of vapor.

Having said that - in my Pulse 22 I am currently using a single stainless steel clapton that heats pretty fast and gives good vapor - but it's a battery killer compared to the single wire coils.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
...Me?

I'm using stainless steel clapton wire on my Pulse 22. The spool says it's 26ga wrapped in 32ga and my 2.5mm 6-wrap coil comes in at .39-ohms. It heats quickly and gives me a ton of vapor, but drains my battery faster than dual coils made from single-wire 26ga Kanthal.

Last edited:

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Me?

I'm using stainless steel clapton wire on my Pulse 22. The spool says it's 26ga wrapped in 32ga and my 2.5mm 6-wrap coil comes in at .39-ohms. It heats quickly and gives me a ton of vapor, but drains my battery faster than dual coils made from single-wire 26ga Kanthal.
I thought the op said 30 22 but I think he was talking about diameter

Reactions: stols001

bood

Sep 16, 2017
i am a new mech user ..18650 sony vtc4 + trinity US1 tube + dejavu rdta ( or a kennedy24 rda ), running double coils.
My coil builds have been mainly 2 simple wire 316l 26ga s.s. spaced builds, one is around 0.25ohm the other 0.45ohm

Both vape more then decent clouds..the first one doesnt need to heat up its 7/8 wraps , the second needs some preheating its 13/14 wraps ; I wouldnt say the 0.45 build get me significantly less vapour then the 0.25

Attachments

• 20171129_134722_resized.jpg
    20171129_134722_resized.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171129_134458_resized.jpg
    20171129_134458_resized.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
You got to decide if you want to squonk or cloud chase, they usually don't go well together. At best you are going to have a half assed cloud chasin squonker. Cloud chasing needs a full juice well and squonkers evac the the juice for fresh flavor.

A good build for flavor and plenty of vapor is 28/36ga 316L clapton 2.5mm 7 wrap .6 ohm

Last edited:
I've got the same box and battery, been running around .28 to be able to use my 18650s but put in a nice parallel 24g Kanthal dual coil build that comes out to .17 (around 25 amps on a fresh battery). I get a great vape from it with plenty o'clock clouds and flavor to boot.

You're gonna have to experiment. As everyone else said, it's not all about ohms, and coil building isn't an exact science. Different attys will produce different Vapes with the same coil. Try a 24g or 26g simple build and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread