I need help with a build. I keep burning my cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
I have been using the same build for a while and I never had problems. I have a magma rda with a one coil build at 1.8 ohm. Well I bought a dna 30 thinking that with all the extra batterys I would be good for a few years. I built a new coil at 1.8 and tried it and I burned my cotton. So I turned the voltage all the way down, and again same thing. I then built a coil at 2.5 and it still doesn't work right. I bought the proper batteries for it so I don't think that is the problem. Do I need to try duel coils or what? Please someone help.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
What DNA30 device are you using and what batteries? There's s few different ones, but the chip is always the same assuming it's an authentic.

The issue probably has less to do with the device and more to do with the coil and wick. Possible hot spots or improper wicking could cause wick burning.

What gauge kanthal are you using? Can you post pictures of the build?

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Ok, I figured it out I am a idiot. Lol
I have been using a mvp for almost 2 years and I have been building the same coils which where micro coils with 20 guage kanthol. So I had just a small rolled up cotton wick. I guess the dna has more power coming from the battery so it would cook the juice off faster than it could wick. So I built a large coil and loosely ran the cotton through and it worked.

Thank you all so much for your time. I have been away from this site for a while and I guess I just got used to doing things the same way. I know I love this dna now, I was close to sending it back.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ok, I figured it out I am a idiot. Lol
I have been using a mvp for almost 2 years and I have been building the same coils which where micro coils with 20 guage kanthol. So I had just a small rolled up cotton wick. I guess the dna has more power coming from the battery so it would cook the juice off faster than it could wick. So I built a large coil and loosely ran the cotton through and it worked.

Thank you all so much for your time. I have been away from this site for a while and I guess I just got used to doing things the same way. I know I love this dna now, I was close to sending it back.

Hi brokepainter.

I see two possible issues here:

1) Your DNA 30 does not down regulate, which means that lowest operating voltage output of your device is 4 Volts; Power--7 Watts. Your MVP's voltage can be adjusted from 3.3v to 5.0 volts (6-11 watts). So pay attention to your settings--4 volts may be too much for certain 1.8Ω builds.

2) Are you sure you're using 20 g kanthal? That's awfully thick. I wouldn't go any lower than 28 or 26 gauge.

Last edited:

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Yeah I thought it was 20 but it is 28 my mistake, I was answering at work nowhere near my roll to look at. I have it working now and I am happy with it. I was very angry that I couldn't get it to work. After using the mvp without any problems I ordered this thinking I knew all about building coils and it is all the same. I really have alot to learn. Lol

Thanks everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread