Status
Not open for further replies.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Hi, remember me? hehe

OK, so I see this new iClear clearo, looks interesting, but I'm trying to decide if it would be good for me. It says it is rated 2.0-2.2 ohms.
An X2 clear is 2.6-2.9. The volt mini clearo doesn't say.

I have an a few X2 bats, and a few workhorse little Volt bats. I have no plans on buying variable voltage. I still mainly use cartos - gasp! :ohmy: but I've dabbled with X2 and mini clearos. Haven't really enjoyed the vape from them tho -- they don't seem warm enough. Maybe that is due to my battery?

So is the difference between a 2.2 and a 2.6 mean that one will be a warmer or cooler vape than the other when used on an X2? If I didn't like 2.6 does that mean I realllly won't like 2.0, or just the opposite?

Thanks in advance for any advice (other than trying to convince me to get a VV - ain't gunna happen)

Dac311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
The ohms are a numerical value of how resistant the wires are to allow current to flow through them. The lower the number, the less resistant the wire is to the current. So the more current that is allowed to flow, the warmer the vapor. So you should like them more. Also, the iclears are dual coils. This means that there are basically 2 atomizers inside the head. This also produces a warmer vape because more vapor is produced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
Ok, let me geek out on you for a minute:

Lets start with Ohm's Law- V= IxR or Voltage=Current times Resistance, if you know two, you can calculate the missing one with simple math. We know Voltage and Resistance, but what good will current do you for? Enter Watt's law: P= IxE or Power=Current times Voltage. So now you can calculate power, which is more relevant to know than current because Power (measured in Watts) is a common measure of power consumption.

Or based on your voltage and resistance (our two known variables) you can simple acheive the desired result of Power with the formula: P= V2 (thats squared)/R (power= voltage squared divided by resistance). It is best to know what your wattage will be before using any new device.

You will want you wattage to be between about 4watts to 8watts. A little over or under is ok but you dont want to stray much past it (like no more than .2). The higher the power, the warmer the coil will get thus more liquid consumption, more vapor, more throat it, but less flavor (this is because there is more heat so the flavoring may be burning off a little). The lower the power, the cooler the coil will be and you will conserve liquid, less vapor but flavor will be more present. Thats why people like VV/VW devices, you can adjust the warmth etc per flavor with the same coil etc.
Also the more power (watts) the more your battery is consumed per use. So if you're going to be using something that will generate higher power, consider having a high mAh battery if you want the battery to last longer between charges.

So I have a eGo-C battery, which is 3.7V. I use a few different clearos/attys. V-nano is about 1.8 ohms so with that I get 7.60w, so the juice is warm, more vapor, but sometimes if I dont inhale right away when pressing the button, the flavor gets weak and vapor may taste a little burnt. Same thing with my vision aurora bft, 1.8 atty, but that is easier to control because I'm in control of the amount of liquid at the atty.
My vision stardust clearo is 2.4 ohms, so i'll get 5.70w. It is cooler, smoother, vapor not as thick.

consider your flavor of liquid you plan to use. Is the flavor bold and strong? then you should have no problem with a set up giving you higher power. If it is a subtle flavor, like say a cherry flavor, you may be better with less power. Its all about personal preference.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Ok, let me geek out on you for a minute:

And thank you as well for that thorough explanation. My usual is 555, which I guess could be considered strong/bold. 2nd choice is Halo's Malibu, which is a little more subtle (but I love that flavor!! Wish SI would offer it)

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi, Star! :) I was hoping you were still vaping.

I get all screwed up when it's dual coil (I think the numbers are lower - like do you double it, or what?), but with single coil ones, I like lower resistance (1.8-2.2Ω) on X2s. To me it's warmer and I get more vapor. Whenever I use 2.4Ω+ heads (like the T3), I usually find myself dialing up my Spinner...and since you're not going there....

Also, don't factor in that SI cartos are 2.6-2.8Ω. They monkeyed around with those to make them work well on the X2s and stick batts, so they kinda break the rules and don't count. So if, for instance, you wanted to venture out to other brands of cartos, the lower resistance ones would probably still be better. Like when I use Boges, I like the 2.2Ω ones.

Here's a chart:
VapingPowerChart.png

Last edited:

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Hi, Star! :) I was hoping you were still vaping.
.....So if, for instance, you wanted to venture out to other brands of cartos, the lower resistance ones would probably still be better.
Hiya Cindy! Yeah, still a dedicated vaper. And I get the majority of my supplies from SI, although I get my Malibu and blank cartos elsewhere (only cuz they have pretty colors). Cool chart! That place also has LR cartos, so maybe I should give those a try. But I should be getting the clearo today so we'll see how the lower resistance works for me.

Thanks again!

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Star, here are some more charts for you (different vendor, Imagine - sorry - but the charts are really helpful):

Undestanding resistances, LR and HV

Scroll down a little bit and you'll see a quickie chart and some info on dual coil (DC). Note that they recommend 1.7-2.0Ω DC on 3.7V batts (like the X2 and Volt batts +/-). I still get so confused with DC. Guess I should understand it a little bit better, since it looks like SI's putting out a whole new line of them soon. :blink::laugh:

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Well dang. Things seemed doable until I got to the end of that page:
Although you can certainly get away with it, a 3.7v device is not ideal for a DC carto, you should use a 4.5v or better.
Sigh. Mine still hasn't arrived...ordered Thursday, it hung out in Ohio for 2 days, was expected to be delivered Monday, and as of Tuesday I still don't have it.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi I'm back. First -- I got my iclear and am a happy camper. It works great on the X2.

Now the sad news... Maggy, as seen in my avi <--- is no longer with us. She had been sick on & off for the past year, and I finally had to make that awful decision. Sigh. I miss her so much :(
So sorry to hear about Maggie, Star. She was with us for quite awhile too. That decision is always so tough - hang in there.
comfort.gif

...on a brighter note, glad the iClear worked out for you after all.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
A quick comment on dual coils.

If a device is dual coil and advertised as 2.0 ohms it means that each coil in the device is a 4 ohm coil. When those two coils are connected in parallel, both leads of one connected to both leads of the other, the resistance is cut in half.

If the coils are connected in series, each coil would have a resistance of one ohm. In other words when the coils are connected in series the resistance adds.

Now the confusing part. In either case, each coil will only deliver half of the total power. This means that if a 2 ohm, dual coil, device is connected to a 4 volt source, the total power produced is 8 watts and each coil is only producing 4 watts. This is true whether the coils are connected in series or parallel in the device. So, in general terms, a dual coil device needs to be run at higher power levels to maintain flavor and throat hit. This isn't much of a problem since dual coil devices have a lower resistance which raises their output at any given voltage versus a single, higher resistance, coil.

I have recently started using dual coil devices and they do put out a lot of vapor. But that vapor has to come from somewhere, so the amount of liquid consumed goes up quite a bit!

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
I have recently started using dual coil devices and they do put out a lot of vapor. But that vapor has to come from somewhere, so the amount of liquid consumed goes up quite a bit!

Indeed -- flavor and vapor are wonderful, but I do have to refill it often. Guess I buy an extra bottle for the black friday sale, along with a 2nd iclear.

charlzrocks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Hamilton, MS
Hi I'm back. First -- I got my iclear and am a happy camper. It works great on the X2.

Now the sad news... Maggy, as seen in my avi <--- is no longer with us. She had been sick on & off for the past year, and I finally had to make that awful decision. Sigh. I miss her so much :(

HUGS! hope that helps a bit........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread