The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I need some help with my Heron, please

Discussion in 'VapourArt' started by slyphex, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. slyphex

slyphex Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2014
    USA
    I have tried about 6 builds now and I keep getting dry hits. My friend stopped over and asked what I was burning, and I had only been vaping unflavored liquid.

I am using 2mm Ekowool and 30 awg kanthal. My builds are about 1.9 ohm and I use a Kick set at 9W.

[​IMG] This is my latest attempt
    [​IMG] From the side

[​IMG][​IMG] Previous attempts

I did have a good build all day yesterday, using the ribbon wire that was included with my order, but it was too low resistance for my liking and took a while to heat up.

I have read through the posts here and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have built on my R91 for a little over 2 months and I'm using a similar technique when building these coils.

2. jpcwon

jpcwon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2014
    North Easton, MA
    Hey buddy!

You know I could be totally wrong, but I suspect that maybe your loop in the wick may be too long. I had a similar issue but with cotton. I was trimming the cotton so that it was too long, and it was effectively "blocking off" the juice flow down to the coils as the cotton was being squished down by the fluff above..

Are you using the cotton topper just out of curiosity? Because if so, then the wick may be getting "choked" at the point where it passes through the topper (due to excess wick being bunched up above the topper).....

Maybe try a bit of a smaller loop? We have to remember that the bottom of the fluff really isn't that far above the coil, so a small loop will usually suffice in most cases.....

3. slyphex

Jun 18, 2014
    USA
    No, I'm not using the topper. I have been slowly making my loops smaller, but I was afraid of that too. Thank you :)

4. jpcwon

jpcwon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2014
    North Easton, MA
    Gotcha.....hmmm......:glare:

Well I am not sure then, but the good news is that you came to the right place! :) someone here will no doubt be able to troubleshoot this better than I (I don't have exp. building the Heron with Ekowool), and will have you back to vaping the Heron in no time!!

Best of luck my friend!!

5. wildvet

wildvet Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2013
    San Diego
    Agree the wick loop is probably too long. Try eyeballing where it would touch the fluff, and trim it down so it just touches. I use the cotton topper myself, but the wick top is basically the same height as the highest point of the topper. So really, it's pretty short.

6. slyphex

Jun 18, 2014
    USA
    Okay, I am trying it with a smaller wick. I'm also replacing the filler in case that has absorbed burnt flavor.

7. slyphex

Jun 18, 2014
    USA
    Yay it's working!

It was still giving me dry hits and my new loop was about half the size it was earlier, but then I made it even smaller and now it's working great.

Thanks for the help :)

8. perseas

perseas Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2011
    Athens, Hellas
  9. Todai

Todai Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Glad to hear. Yeah, with silica/ekowool, you wouldn't use the topper cap on the inside, that's only for cotton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.