I really need to quit smoking but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxTigger

Sep 23, 2012
Texas, U.S.A.
Hey Everybody,
I prefer to just lurk around in the shadows and find my answers on my own but I've been doing that and I'm still not getting what i want. I really need to quit smoking but I can't seem to get the throat hit I need to give up my cigarettes. I've cut down A LOT, but I want to stop. I read that nicotine and voltage and Ohms and PG/VG ratio all have something to do with throat it. I've gone from a 510 to an EGO to a 1600mAh Vision Spinner 2 set at 3.8V or 4.3V with a 2.4 Ohm coil in a 2.5 ml ProTank that I'm vaping juices that are made up with 24 nicotine and 75PG/25VG. I changed from 50/50 to 75/25 hoping to increase throat hit and all of those things did help but it's just not enough to get me to give up those nasty analogs. I recently found out that I have a health condition that really requires me to quit.:) Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a fixed income so I don't have a lot of money. However, I am expecting a small refund soon. I have an old dog that has health problems too that cost me money and I'd buy his meds before I'd by me food. He's a very good dog and I don't know what I would do without him.

Sincerely,
TxTiger

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
With your current setup you'd need to try a lower ohm coil or a liquid which has flavoring that effect throat hit. Other than that, you'd probably be a prime candidate to move to a power regulated device, or a mechanical device and RBA (Rebuildable Atomizer). You could go up in nic even more, but for me personally, that's not the way to handle a lack of throat hit issue.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
This is just my own 3¢ (inflation) but I have played around with DIY and changing the percentages of pg/vg, but I get the most throat hit from a high nic. I vape 24mg. I put a drop of Everclear in my 6ml bottle of juice and I think it adds to it also. If it is a peach juice, I add peach flavored Vodka.

I did both for a good while and just started cutting back on cigarettes. When I got down to 1 or 2 a day, they started tasting pretty darn nasty so it was real easy for me to start vaping full time. There are also WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) juices that may also help you. I know a few that couldn't give up cigarettes with just nic. Might be something to consider. The "health" issue is probably the best incentive I can think of but I think the decreasing cigarettes and increasing vaping is the key for those of us like me that really didn't think it was possible to quit and not hurt someone.

Here is a thread that has some very good sales listed that you might help also. Also if you order juice at a much higher nic than you vape, you can buy some vg at Walmart and cut it so it is a tiny bit more economical. (just trying to help) :blush:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/418767-deals-steals-287.html
JC_link.gif

I have 5 dogs, 3 cats and 2 birds, so I fully understand what you mean about your dog. Their "family". And ecf is like family too. Good luck to you and I wish you well.

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
When I quit smoking the biggest issue I had was finding a juice I could hang with all day like I did cigarettes. With the equipment that you have bought you have an investment going on...but I don't think you've hit your mark yet. Two things factored into my success, finding the right juice and my Eleaf iStick battery. I love my iStick because you can take it into your local B&M vape shop and even with their clearo's get a chance to try the juices at different watts (voltage is automatic with the iStick). Try a higher PG mix for throat hit, and what I find really blows it out of the water is the tobacco flavored juices. Too harsh for me, but that's what I used in the beginning. As far as nicotine is concerned, unless you smoked Lucky Strikes or Pall Mall reds, you should be ok with 24-18mg nicotine levels. I think 24mg adds flavor, I can taste it anyway. In 2 months, I've cut down to 6mg without issue. Tank I use is the Nautilus Mini, you can adjust the air flow (drag) of which may also help with the throat hit. Hope this helps...still think it's all in the juice!!!!

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
Throat hit can be done many ways. If you make your own juice you can buy throat hit nicotine, or other tricks of the trade.

Lower ohm coils can help a ton, but you are always limited by what your battery can give you.

Back when I quit on my crap setup I used a system. Whenever I wanted a cig, I had to sit down and puff on my ecig for a full 5 min before I was allowed to light up. More times than not I had no desire for a smoke after that.

TxTigger

Sep 23, 2012
Texas, U.S.A.
@ bacc.vap - yeah, I don't want to go any higher that 24 nic.
@ Rat2Chat2 - I'll have look into this WTA. Where would I get this stuff?

I like the RY4, and I have something called Marlboro flavor that I'm using and I like them pretty well. I also love my vanilla custard and butterscotch from The Vapor Room. Oh, and green apple and watermelon. I've got some flavors I like that's not a problem. Green Apple is good, but you can't vape it at very high temps without it loosing a lot of flavor. What's a Vamo? is that something like an I-stick?

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA

realsis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2014
    California
    Hi, one thing you might consider trying, (there are many many different options)but one is getting a unit that allows you to vape at a higher wattage. You also might consider trying your own coil builds with a rebuildable tank or dripping atomizer. I wasn't truly satisfied until I was building coils and using RTAs. With rebuildable and wattage control you can really customize your vaping experience to what YOU LIKE. The taste of a rebuildable tank is far different.it's really a huge difference! Combined with wattage control or higher wattages I think you will be able to achieve what your looking for. I know it REALLY helped me.you will have more customazation avaible to you to really get the flavor and throat hit your after. You can consider a high powered regulated mod.I use a ipv3 150 watt box mod and it's really been great! You don't have to go that high in wattage but this unit uses two batteries that I get three days of vaping out of before having to charge which is really nice. It also allows a Sub 9hm down to .1. Some of the newer box mods now allow this. They offer versitality and ability to customize your vape to your liking without cutting off at a 1.0 ohm or higher build. You might consider the options that something like that would give you. Also with building you can work with different builds to achieve the hit your looking for. You do have a lot of different options and this is just a few that will allow you to customize your vape to what you want. It's just something you might want to consider. It's just a few things that are available to you. Hope this helps and best wishes.

Steamix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Add a drop or two of PGA ( pure gain alcohol ) to your liquids. Works with most flavours without affecting the flavour too much.
    FA also has something on offer called 'sharpener' meant to enhance throat hit.

Also look into DIY. Though there's a lot of great ready made liquids out there, two good arguments for you:

If you're on a tight budget like me ( keep rubbing the pennies togethe till i can spend front and back separetly ), DIY can't be beat when it comes to costs. So doggie gets medication, you get to eat AND to vape :)

The ready-to-vape market might not have what you looking for. Sure, there's fun in trying different liquids from different vendors. But given the wide variety out there, it might take a while or ten...

With DIY and armed with tons of information from the subforums herein, you could make a beeline for your custom juice that suits all your tastes :)

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    @ bacc.vap - yeah, I don't want to go any higher that 24 nic.
    @ Rat2Chat2 - I'll have look into this WTA. Where would I get this stuff?

I like the RY4, and I have something called Marlboro flavor that I'm using and I like them pretty well. I also love my vanilla custard and butterscotch from The Vapor Room. Oh, and green apple and watermelon. I've got some flavors I like that's not a problem. Green Apple is good, but you can't vape it at very high temps without it loosing a lot of flavor. What's a Vamo? is that something like an I-stick?

Here is where a friend of mine gets hers. . .

Whole Tobacco Alkaloid WTA Eliquid Ejuice
    JC_link.gif

But there are a lot of places. Just get googlie.
    girl_haha.gif
    And let us know how you are doing. It's not all info here. . . we care.

Sometimes to much flavor can cause not enough flavor. I know that sounds crazy. (just my 3¢ inflation)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    ever consider that the throat hit is your body telling you something isnt right??? think about it... its a sensation that if pushed a little too far it could be somewhat painful ( pain is a warning signal) remember when you were smoking with a sore throat and how difficult it was to inhale the ciggie?

vape for the nic/flavor " ya dont need no stinkin throat hit :) "

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread