The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I say we get these guys in the biz

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by 6spdsurfer, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. 6spdsurfer

6spdsurfer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
  2. eHuman

eHuman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    San Diego
    I can see the elitists now, in years to come they'll say, "If you aren't getting at least two weeks between charges then you own crap".

I hate battery snobs.

If the technology becomes available, it will definitely revolutionize our gear, can you say "Stealth vape?"

But by the looks of it, we may just end up with an instructional in the DIY section...

3. dnakr

dnakr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    When I started vaping in 2007, we were lucky if our batteries held up for 30 minutes. If I was going to be away for the day, I would carry (no kidding) at least 10-15 charged batteries and 4 chargers. It was a pain, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I was in heaven when the screwdriver mod came out.

Now I use the 18650 and am thrilled. One battery - all day - no charger :)...

4. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I'd imagine that would be very expensive presently. Plus, if the sheet they showed attached to the bulb powered it for five minutes, it contained 0.017 usable amp-hours at 2 volts or so (assuming I'm correct that it was a 20 mAh bulb in red, which it looked like to my eye).

Right now, your average AA battery contains 10,000 Farads or so. 162*aH = F, so that was a 2 F capacitor. Impressive in the extreme, but you'd need an area 5,000 times larger to equal one AA battery.

Capacitors have the disadvantage of having unusable charge in them. Any voltage under the usable voltage is overhead and essentially a waste. In the light example, when the voltage drops under 2 the LED wouldn't light--it wouldn't be strong enough to make the electrons jump the charge gap and create light. Electronics can be used to boost the voltage, of course, but even so there's a usable limit.

Supercaps usually have lower charge voltages than smaller caps, too. That isn't mentioned here, so I don't know with this technology, but to get the highest F rating you need a very large surface area very close to the other plate. That can lead to a discharge (a lightning stroke, or static discharge) that drains the cap at least partially and usually does damage to the cap at the very least. That limits the amount of energy you can put into the cap.

And you REALLY don't want to see what happens when you accidentally bridge a capacitor with high capacity. They're capable of extremely fast discharge...or extremely concentrated energy output over very short periods of time. You thought a lithium battery fire was bad? Protection electronics will be required. And I don't want to see what a mechanical failure on a high-F capacitor at any time, but particularly when fully charged.

Charging of a cap can be an issue as it essentially looks like an open circuit when discharged and starting to charge. If I use them in an environment where that could be an issue and overdraw a battery or circuit, you have to moderate the inflow to avoid damaging your power source (or, in the home, tripping the breaker). That's easily solved by a charger that won't allow more than a certain number of amps at a time, but does slow the potential charge speed.

5. Butters78

Butters78 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

[​IMG]

Tell the rest of the tri lams I said hey!

I keed.

6. eHuman

eHuman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    San Diego
    Did you know it hurts when you laugh/choke/cough out a lung full of vapor?

7. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I wouldn't be caught dead in that shirt. :)

8. The Ocelot

The Ocelot Psychopomp Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's a PCC and a pocket protector!

9. NICnurse

NICnurse Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Kansas City, MO

"Come on Gilbert, lets go to college!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.