I still dont get this sub-ohm thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Ive been using 2.5 ohm on my VVGs for the last 2 years or so. Lowest I ever went on a normal grand was 1.5. At one point i tried a 14v pass-through with 5ohm carts.

So, what is the big reason for sub-ohms? I would think that sub ohming would greatly decrease battery life, and lower the overall reliability of the coil.

thebanik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
New Delhi, India
So, what is the big reason for sub-ohms? I would think that sub ohming would greatly decrease battery life, and lower the overall reliability of the coil.

Your 5 Ohm resistance coil would be better for the battery than say a .7 Ohm coil?

Anyways my understanding is that for subohming you use higher gauge wire with lower resistance, giving you more surface area, which gives better flavor, cloud and throat hit. (Ofcouse all the three may not be because of just the higher gauge but a combination of factor)

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
For single coil users...
Many users of unregulated mechs also use large RBA building platforms with quite large air holes. They find that dropping slightly below 1 Ohm lets them get more vape time (more puffs at around 5ish seconds each) from a Battery.
I.E. A 0.8 Ohm coil will peak at nearly 20 watts with fresh battery (take into account voltage drop when the battery and mod are under a load). As the battery drains to around 3.5v (Time to change the battery at this point), the user is still experiencing a respectable vape close to 15 watts.

SubOhm builds are of interest with multiple coils.
Example: If you take two 2 Ohm coils, you end up with a 1 Ohm build. Each coil is still going to average around 7 watts each. You can achieve a very nice vape with a pair of 7 watt coils, but we also need to keep in mind that there will be some voltage drop in both the mod and the battery itself when under load. That battery is also going to drain as we use the mod. Getting more heat out of the set-up can require taking at least one of the coils down to 1 Ohm or less, which will bring the resistance of the whole build down to under 1 Ohm.

There are all sorts of approaches and purposes for a sub-ohm multiple coil build. Some of my better performers actually mix something like a 3 Ohm coil on a ss-mesh/silica wick (flavor side) with a 0.8 Ohm micro-coil on cotton (heat and vapor side).
The total resistance of a build like this would be 0.6 Ohms.

Of course one should only use High Drain batteries, and some sort of fuse to protect against hard shorts is also a good idea.

Last edited:

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Ive been using 2.5 ohm on my VVGs for the last 2 years or so. Lowest I ever went on a normal grand was 1.5. At one point i tried a 14v pass-through with 5ohm carts.

That reason would be flavor, vapor production, TH and warmth or any combination of them. The reliability of a coil won't be affected by the ohms. Just as one would find a sweet spot on a VV/VW mod, there are sweet spots beyond that wattage range on mechanicals. (Say 20-60 watts and some go even further)

Once you experience it, you'll either like it or dislike it, but you'll definitely feel the difference. Of course, anyone who ventures into sub ohming must have a good understanding of the ohm's law, have the right batteries and always check for shorts before firing a new coil.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
So, what is the big reason for sub-ohms?

You sub-ohm to raise the wattage (heat) and vapor production from a non-regulated mechanical mod.

I would think that sub ohming would greatly decrease battery life

Battery life be damned.

But seriously; most people actually end up vaping less. Your getting more from one hit in less time (no priming and puffing away), so your holding down the firing button less. It evens out in my experience.

and lower the overall reliability of the coil.

A good dry burn and a rinse under the faucet is a micro coils fountain of youth.

I've a .6Ω micro coil that's over 5 months old and still looks and vapes like the day I wrapped it. I'd say overall reliability of the coil is fine.

Mystery solved? :D

Cheers

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
I sub ohm because it gives me the vaping experience I like. Before I went sub ohm I would have to take 4-8 second hits to get that lung filling feeling I like. Now with sub ohm I take a 1-2 second hit and have more flavor and vapor then I could ever ask for. Battery life does suffer, but an 18650 still lasts me until i get home, so not too bad, I still carry spares. There are box mods out there, that push over 100 watts, but sub ohming is the cheapest and easiest way to increase power.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
I sub ohm because it gives me the vaping experience I like. Before I went sub ohm I would have to take 4-8 second hits to get that lung filling feeling I like. Now with sub ohm I take a 1-2 second hit and have more flavor and vapor then I could ever ask for. Battery life does suffer, but an 18650 still lasts me until i get home, so not too bad, I still carry spares. There are box mods out there, that push over 100 watts, but sub ohming is the cheapest and easiest way to increase power.

Great post, thats exactly why I SO as well. I love the instant ON and the warmth (not hot or burning) of the vapor. To me building a .5ohm with Mundy's Magic gets the characteristics of the vapor to my likeing. Most of us came from smoking, and I for one really enjoyed smoking, the thickness of the vapor the amount of vapor, the warmth of the vapor, and quick responce time are all properties of smoking that you just cannot achieve with higher ohm coils on a pure mech.

VV/VW is a different story I would have no problem with a 1ohm coil that I could crank the V up as long as I was able to hit my desired wattage. The problem is the DNA30 is the only thing that gets close to the watts I like and I would have to do some MAJOR modifications to put a DNA in a REO.

I put a fresh batt in my mod first thing in the morning at like 7 or 8 and it is enough to last me all day until I get home at 6 or 7. So I really don't have an issue with battery life. I also am not a 'lung hitter' I like my mouth-to-lung hits and I'm not looking to fill a room with vapor, by nature of the MM wire there isn't excessive vapor production. I've seen SuperX blow bigger clouds with a 1.3 micro coil than I do with my .5ohm set up.

Last edited:

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
I don't sub-ohm, but I get low-ohm. For me, it is all about the response time when it comes to the vape. I don't waste time (and battery life) getting everything up to temp for a good vape. That being said, I worry that those into sub-ohm setups frequently don't understand the dangers associated with this envelope-pushing. There just isn't much room for error the lower you go.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have played around with a .4 ohm parallel coil... that was an angry little coil! It sucked up way too much juice and ate cotton for lunch (and breakfast, dinner, and a few snacks). the vape was just too hot for my liking

My personal sweet spot is anywhere between .75 and .85 ohm. It gives my juice the flavor and TH I prefer... I like a little cloud, but an not a cloud chaser.
When I'm at the Vape meets and watching cloud contests, I just lean back and enjoy a near perfect vape off of my Reo.

Thanks
Geo

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I don't get why anyone wants to suck on an eGo rig for several seconds to get a decent hit. I coil my RBA for .7 ohm with 26 kanthal, and the hit is there right now, and the flavor is very good. As for battery life, I can vape for 3-4 hours heavy on it, and then rotate another of the 8 batteries into the mech. No problems, and I'm very happy with this.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Most of us came from smoking, and I for one really enjoyed smoking, the thickness of the vapor the amount of vapor, the warmth of the vapor, and quick response time are all properties of smoking that you just cannot achieve with higher ohm coils on a pure mech.

you are so spot on IMO. i don't see why that's so tough to explain to the masses that swear SO is for maniacal, cloud chasing rebels out just to hurt the cause. it is though, and i for one often struggle explaining that i'm not some 20-something out to stick it to the man because i SO.

heck, i do it with 36mg or higher juice. there's obviously a reason. :2c:

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
Something else that I don't think people take into consideration is wire thickness. There is no way I would even come close to going sub ohm on 32g. Different gauge wire has different effects on how the coil vaporizes and can change certain properties of the vapor. The thicker wire has more mass and needs more power to heat, and in a mech mod the only way to increase power is to reduce the resistance.

I'm all about my warm, velvety, moist vape :vapor:

Edit: I fully agree though that there is a lot of mis information and a lot of people who don't understand what they're doing and end up putting themselves in bad situations. I can't even read the general forum, there are a lot of really ignorant newbies that want to follow the "cool kids" they see on YouTube but refuse to take the time to research and understand basic electrical principles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I just picked up some 26 today and built a single .7 ohm coil in my cyclone. The flavor difference is insane.

It had a good throat hit and vapor production but I can't believe the flavor. It's the same liquid I have been vaping for months and it's like a whole new juice.

For what it's worth, I was always a little tense to go lower ohm and don't like the warmer vape. Opened up the air hole a little more it found the sweet spot.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I don't subohm ever but with the new kit installed and a couple new purple efest batteries I figured I would give it a go. While I was at it, I thought "why not dual coils"...... Right?

image.jpg

.6 ohm on XC-116 and holy crap. I have to give it to you guys running SO on the regular- This is some intense business. Vapor was outstanding, flavor was good, but it was a tad on the hot side and I can't do it LOL.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
What gauge wire were you using? Air flow is also key, is that a regular cyclone or the AFC cap? If there is only one air hole than the coil on the side with no air will get very hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29g, cyclone AFC with both holes all the way from wide open down to 1 mm.
I suppose I should have mentioned that I stay in the 1.3 "ish" range when building and I'm just not used to the higher wattage and the warmth that comes along with it.
It was fun for a few minutes, but not something I could see myself using on the regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread