I stopped at a BM last week and .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I told this story a little earlier on another thread but I'm thinking I should share it with y'all . I stopped at a local BM last week and I was told by the twenty something , cloud chucking , counter monkey that squonkers are out of fashion , referring to the Reo Woodville in my hands . I told him that he must'a mistook me for somebody that gives a rat's azz to begin with . Got no reply to that and guaranteed no sale for the counter monkey . Kinda made me wanna squonk his head , the same feeling I get every time I see a mechs are dead post ! :) To add some background color to the story , I'm a 55 year old, long haired , gun totin , Harley riding redneck with a zztop beard . Don't know what made the counter monkey think I'd be interested in fashion anyway . :)

Now on the flipside ,at another BM that I stopped at the counter monkeys there had never seen or heard of a Reo or even knew what a bottom feeder is but they did think the Woodville was gorgeous and wanted to see how it worked . Curable ignorance on their part but still disturbing that vape shop employees have so little knowledge . I'm gonna call what happened at the first BM pure stupidity because it ain't curable . I'll consider doing business with the second BM on the off chance that I need something but I won't darken the door at the first BM again .

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Heh - they're 20-something's. They think they invented the world, certainly that they own it. It's kinda like young lions challenging for control of the pride - darwinian stuff, for the most part.

The vape world just moves so quickly as we're still in the adopters phase, which means lots of innovation and experimentation. It's like cars or computers, only "generations" happen in months, not years or decades.

I already have some of the hipster vapers at work referring to my reos as "retro" and they were seen as uncool 6 months ago, but chic today. Go figure the cool kids.

But you're right - ignorance is one thing, willful distain is another (and, as you've indicated, a catastrophic business practice).

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I love it when the counter monkeys tell me that sub-ohm tanks give the best flavor/cloud at 50watts and i should get with the times and upgrade. I usaully end the debate with: "If its so great why does your juice bar use ego batteries and sh@tty clearomizers to sample juice".....The look on their face is priceless:vapor:

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
Every freakin time i go into a vape shop i leave dissapointed. Ive been to 4. Two of them acted like i was an ... for asking about bottom feeding attys, one place thought the reo was cool as hell and i gave em robs info, and the other actually knew what i was talking about and even had a couple squonkers in stock(though they didnt have contacts even close to on par with a reos and absolutely no safety features eg hot spring ect.) meh go figure.

The worst part is, im one of those 20 something year olds and i still think all the vape shop guys are ... hats.

$5 to rebuild a coil at .1 ohms(its what all the cool kids are doing:yawn:), then they send these kids home with purple efests? Some downright bull crap

Ill give my business to rob and the few other suppliers on this forum that actually care about the business and their customers.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm so blessed to be in a heavily vaper-populated area with over 30 B&Ms. All of them know me as admin of the regional vapers group. Truly blessed to have a Rob-authorized retailer (Mountain Oak Vapor) within 20min drive. None of the hogwash the OP experienced around this neck of the woods! I'm often accosted by a stranger, "OH! You've got a REO?? I always heard those are pretty cool."

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Just a clueless young cloud chaser in that first shop. Both shops I go into with a Reo. They've heard of them, but never got one.
They never make a comment about squonking being out of style, they all say it's convenient, but doesn't go along with their vaping style.
For example, one loves temp control, so if a DNA 40 Reo came out they'd probably go for it. Hell I would too, I will always love the Reo, but something about 0.2 ohms at 90-100 watts is an amazing vape too.

but a Harley rider and a bad ... beard?! I envy you for riding, I always wanted to ride one day but keep putting it off due to so many tourists here. A beard, I can't grow a beard :facepalm: I get scruffy and nothing more haha. Maybe when I'm 30 in 6 years I could grow a beard.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I love it when the counter monkeys tell me that sub-ohm tanks give the best flavor/cloud at 50watts and i should get with the times and upgrade. I usaully end the debate with: "If its so great why does your juice bar use ego batteries and sh@tty clearomizers to sample juice".....The look on their face is priceless:vapor:
I'll have to remember that line the next time I'm dealing with a counter monkey . :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Heh - they're 20-something's. They think they invented the world, certainly that they own it. It's kinda like young lions challenging for control of the pride - darwinian stuff, for the most part.

The vape world just moves so quickly as we're still in the adopters phase, which means lots of innovation and experimentation. It's like cars or computers, only "generations" happen in months, not years or decades.

I already have some of the hipster vapers at work referring to my reos as "retro" and they were seen as uncool 6 months ago, but chic today. Go figure the cool kids.

But you're right - ignorance is one thing, willful distain is another (and, as you've indicated, a catastrophic business practice).
It was definitely willful disdain , the monkey knew it was a Reo , knew the term " squonker " but he reaped what he sowed .

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Squonkers are BOOMING. Numbskull probably just didn't have any, so he figured he'd try to make you think you needed something more "in fashion" that he could sell ya. Dumb and dumber.
That's my take on it as well but common sense should've kicked in and told him just based on my appearance that insulting my rig was a poor decision .

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Just a clueless young cloud chaser in that first shop. Both shops I go into with a Reo. They've heard of them, but never got one.
They never make a comment about squonking being out of style, they all say it's convenient, but doesn't go along with their vaping style.
For example, one loves temp control, so if a DNA 40 Reo came out they'd probably go for it. Hell I would too, I will always love the Reo, but something about 0.2 ohms at 90-100 watts is an amazing vape too.

but a Harley rider and a bad ... beard?! I envy you for riding, I always wanted to ride one day but keep putting it off due to so many tourists here. A beard, I can't grow a beard :facepalm: I get scruffy and nothing more haha. Maybe when I'm 30 in 6 years I could grow a beard.
You wanna ride ? Get a Harley and represent man ! I'm in New Orleans , ya think you got tourists ? Don't worry about the hair and beard , it takes a lotta brushing to get'm untangled after a few hours of riding anyway . :)

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
Kinda made me wanna squonk his head

I just had vape shoot out my eyeballs! That made my morning! After that description you gave..... he actually told you that your Woodvil was out of fashion?!? I wished I was a fly on the wall to see his reaction! I guess the boy grew up with a sense privilege over common sense/courtesy to those who aren't like him.

All the B&Ms that I've been to knew what the REO is and have liked what they've seen. However they grumble when I mention that they should carry them. They usually mumble something to the effect that with their cost they don't want to risk it and not selling....yet they carry other reg and unreg mods that cost way more than a REO. Hey it's their loss.

We got a B&M that just opened up next door at work, my fellow REOnaut partner and I are gonna check it out later today to see what they're all about.....praise the gospel of REO and give them Robs card. It looks shady and probably is but nothings set in stone 'till git in there and investigate!

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
A Reo is a tool like a hammer or a fine wood chisel they never go out of date. Learn how to use it maintain it and it will be by your side for the rest of your life . I think this is something lots of people miss or don't understand . Its a old school tool in a modern world . The whole roast your lung cloud chasing fad will pass eventually one has to ask himself why am I doing this . Slamming through massive amounts of juice ripping through batteries like a hog on a bucket of slop . Eventually people get back to there lives and blowing massive clouds doesn't really fit into most peoples daily activities .

The sad part is were the green horns start there vaping journey today . They never even try a nice single coil build at a respectable ohm . They start out chasing the cloud on a 40 pound atty . Its to bad it has to be this way I could go on and on but I wont and I would probably offend someone and that is not my intent . That is my rant enjoy the day :)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I told this story a little earlier on another thread but I'm thinking I should share it with y'all . I stopped at a local BM last week and I was told by the twenty something , cloud chucking , counter monkey that squonkers are out of fashion , referring to the Reo Woodville in my hands . I told him that he must'a mistook me for somebody that gives a rat's azz to begin with . Got no reply to that and guaranteed no sale for the counter monkey . Kinda made me wanna squonk his head , the same feeling I get every time I see a mechs are dead post ! :) To add some background color to the story , I'm a 55 year old, long haired , gun totin , Harley riding redneck with a zztop beard . Don't know what made the counter monkey think I'd be interested in fashion anyway . :)

Now on the flipside ,at another BM that I stopped at the counter monkeys there had never seen or heard of a Reo or even knew what a bottom feeder is but they did think the Woodville was gorgeous and wanted to see how it worked . Curable ignorance on their part but still disturbing that vape shop employees have so little knowledge . I'm gonna call what happened at the first BM pure stupidity because it ain't curable . I'll consider doing business with the second BM on the off chance that I need something but I won't darken the door at the first BM again .
This is exactly why I never go into B&M's anymore...well, coupled with the fact that anything they sell I can get at least 20% cheaper on the internet and I don't have to deal with stupid!!!!:shock:

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
A Reo is a tool like a hammer or a fine wood chisel they never go out of date. Learn how to use it maintain it and it will be by your side for the rest of your life . I think this is something lots of people miss or don't understand . Its a old school tool in a modern world . The whole roast your lung cloud chasing fad will pass eventually one has to ask himself why am I doing this . Slamming through massive amounts of juice ripping through batteries like a hog on a bucket of slop . Eventually people get back to there lives and blowing massive clouds doesn't really fit into most peoples daily activities .

The sad part is were the green horns start there vaping journey today . They never even try a nice single coil build at a respectable ohm . They start out chasing the cloud on a 40 pound atty . Its to bad it has to be this way I could go on and on but I wont and I would probably offend someone and that is not my intent . That is my rant enjoy the day :)

Great rant Rob! You're exactly right. One part of the problem is ... these kids have never really smoked cigarettes. They like the "IDEA" of smoking, but never really smoked. When you've smoked real cigarettes for decades of your life, a single coil is really all your poor ol' lungs can handle - literally. :thumb:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I just had vape shoot out my eyeballs! That made my morning! After that description you gave..... he actually told you that your Woodvil was out of fashion?!? I wished I was a fly on the wall to see his reaction! I guess the boy grew up with a sense privilege over common sense/courtesy to those who aren't like him.

All the B&Ms that I've been to knew what the REO is and have liked what they've seen. However they grumble when I mention that they should carry them. They usually mumble something to the effect that with their cost they don't want to risk it and not selling....yet they carry other reg and unreg mods that cost way more than a REO. Hey it's their loss.

We got a B&M that just opened up next door at work, my fellow REOnaut partner and I are gonna check it out later today to see what they're all about.....praise the gospel of REO and give them Robs card. It looks shady and probably is but nothings set in stone 'till git in there and investigate!
I've run into his kind before , smartazz until they realise their mouth just wrote a check their azz can't cash . :)

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
Well I just checked out the B&M next to work and......well....... yeah..........:eek:.

They stocked a couple of el chepo starter kits, a few VW setups and a few subtanks as well as items used for unmentionables to include cleansers and ehem.....enhancement medication if ya catch my drift. o_O :facepalm:

He asked us what we're using, told him REOs and he pretty much gave us an uninterested look, I didn't even bother at the point. I'm not wasting my last REO card on someone that'll end up chucking it.
With the meager and I mean MEAGER selection they had, they don't have a snowballs chance in Death Valley of surviving close to two "decent" established shops.

I'm gonna be generous and give it a month before the cops raid it and find some unmentionables, with what's been going down around this county it's not a matter of if but when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread