I swear i've gone crazy...non-smoker wanting to start vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLeigh

Aug 12, 2013
Valencia, CA
I'm very new to vaping and was never a smoker. I tried a very sweet flavor a friend had and thought this is my answer to my sugar addiction!! It's a personal decision. It has completely helped me cut sugar and my constant emotional eating and snacking. I get 6mg juice in sweet and fruity flavors. Helps with stress as well. I've lost 10 lbs so far. I love it. Cutting junk food was exactly my reason for starting.

Tempesta

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
Maryland USA
I'm in a similar situation. Social smoker at best, a definite oral fixation, and stressed at work. I have been trying disposables, and find that a little vaping after dinner makes me less likely to go after dessert. I am looking at starter kits right now, and searching for the best zero-nictoine options. Try it and make your own decision; others shouldn't judge you unless they have walked in your shoes. Good
Luck and welcome.

dring219

Verified Member
May 31, 2011
Knoxville , Tennessee USA
I managed to quit analogs after 28 or so years using a Watermelon Jolly Rancher flavor . I tried the little disposables just to try them . I wouldnt use them at all even for beginner vapers . Get an eGo battery and a 3ml tank with a few DCT cartos . Try 0mg nic (zero nicotine) juice a week or so at least if you are a nonsmoker . After 4+ months of vape only i am still in the 30mg nic range . But still love my watermelon , peach and PinaColada flavors . I use others , lots of others . But for starters , you COULD even start mixing your own flavors at zero mg of nicotine for a fraction of buying from a tobacco / vape store . The fruit flavors curb your craving for snacks , i havent craved hard candy like i used to and i also font crave an analog either . For me it kills 2 birds with 1 juice . And i didnt see the typical weight gain from stopping smoking .

I hope the best for you and whatever you decide .

Donnie
Knoxville, TN USA

For what it's worth: if you've gone crazy I'm right there with you.

I quit analogs a long time ago (though I was a pretty heavy smoker) and I LOVED the smoking part of smoking but was done with the expense, smell, and health issues.

Vaping was always fairly intriguing to me, but I figured it wasn't worth tempting myself back toward a long kicked habit.

I have been going through a lot of stress lately and I figure it's better to take up a 0nic habit than an analogue, high calorie, or alcohol based habit. Vaping is pretty much ideal for my circumstance and after twelve years I UTTERLY detest cigs now (couldn't afford them here in NY anyway), so I'm not worried about it being a gateway.

There are a HUGE number of options out there and as several others have said 0nic may well work out great for you.

Good luck!

I wish I never smoked the vaping for me is a way to quit if you want to lose weight eat less and work out try jogging swimming ect maybe see your dr first I don't think there is any evidence that nicotine will help you lose weight it does have a proven calming effect but a good shrink will give you valium and that does about the same thing to your brain

I don't think there is any evidence that nicotine will help you lose weight it does have a proven calming effect but a good shrink will give you valium and that does about the same thing to your brain

I hadnt thought of valium but your timing is impeccable...I just got news today that my older sister has advanced breast cancer. I immediately took my daughter's leftover graduation cake out of the freezer and started eating it with a fork. Then I put the fork down and went and found hubby's e-cig with full nic and took 3 puffs. Gotta keep it together...i've heard horror stories about people getting addicted to prescription meds. I'm not sure valium is something I should be taking. I'd rather have nicotine "in a pinch" than numb myself with other kinds of drugs. I need to have a clear head. I am going to buy some 0 nic flavored flings and also some light nic flings for when we head to Burlington, VT for my sister's surgery. Holy crap...life changes so quickly.

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
I hadnt thought of valium but your timing is impeccable...I just got news today that my older sister has advanced breast cancer. I immediately took my daughter's leftover graduation cake out of the freezer and started eating it with a fork. Then I put the fork down and went and found hubby's e-cig with full nic and took 3 puffs. Gotta keep it together...i've heard horror stories about people getting addicted to prescription meds. I'm not sure valium is something I should be taking. I'd rather have nicotine "in a pinch" than numb myself with other kinds of drugs. I need to have a clear head. I am going to buy some 0 nic flavored flings and also some light nic flings for when we head to Burlington, VT for my sister's surgery. Holy crap...life changes so quickly.

My GOD!!! That's terrible to hear... I'm sorry!

Now while I would never advocate anyone who has managed to kick the sticks to take up vaping, I WOULD support anyone who took it up INSTEAD of relapsing to cigs if it came down to it. I too managed to quit for quite some time until learning all 3 of my brothers were diagnosed with cancer, all within a 6-month span. I immediately cracked under the stress and bought a pack of reds to help cope. You my friend, sound like you're on the edge, and we all know what the "Sensible" route would be IF the threshold is reached...

I wish you and your sister well and would support your decision.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Try 0-nicotine liquid. It may not feel like anything is going into your lungs, but you'll still get the flavor and slight sensation. I wasn't really a smoker of cigarettes, but I got sober and needed to fill that void with something..so now I can spend 75% of my day screwing with cartridges and stuff.

kimbo55

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2012
san diego
Try 0-nicotine liquid. It may not feel like anything is going into your lungs, but you'll still get the flavor and slight sensation. I wasn't really a smoker of cigarettes, but I got sober and needed to fill that void with something..so now I can spend 75% of my day screwing with cartridges and stuff.
Obsession replacement therapy works for me. Clean and sober 10/03/90

kimbo55

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2012
san diego
Hi there. I have posted in a few forums over the years and hate having to write my first "hello, newbie here" but here I am for a reason and reading is just not good enough so I am here to ask questions so "hello, my name is val..."

I feel like its almost blasphemy to be considering taking up vaping. I'm actually thinking about trying those disposable flavored e-cigs (is that considered vaping too?). I am a 45 year old happily married mom of 3, I used to smoke socially, maybe a pack a week. I quit for good about 12 years ago because at the time, I accidentally burned my 5 year old son one day outdoors when he walked into the end of my cigarette. I felt so horrible that I quit the next day after about 12 hours of beating myself up for it. My hubby is a pack-a-day smoker and we live near an Indian Reservation where he buys his smokes for $23 per carton. He only smokes outside. How he manages to smoke a pack a day and work 8 hours where smoking is not allowed is beyond me but he does it. I originally started looking at e-cigs for him because he wants to quit and just cant kick the habit. I have bought him 2 e-cigs and he says he really likes them but doesnt think they live up to the claim of "700 puffs" like the package claims...

...anyhoo back to me. I am 30 pounds overweight. I am pretty sure my body chemistry is starting to change because of my age. I dont lose weight like I have always been able to do (when I actually try ;) ) and I have gained tummy weight which I have never done before so I am seriously worried that I will never get rid of this extra weight. I am thinking of e-cigs with nicotine to help me stop my emotional eating, as well as helping me with the stress and anxiety that comes with having 2 teenagers and a 7 year old boisterous son! My main hope is to stop munching due to boredom or stress...my other hope is to have that little "something" to indulge in to calm my nerves instead of the glass of wine I have once a week or so, in addition to eating junk food. I'm not a big drinker or i'd just do that instead, lol! But drinking is adding calories too isnt it so while that would help my stress, it certainly would do little for the weight loss attempts.

I dunno, am I nuts here? If I do start using e-cigs, I will most likely use them secretly at first just to avoid the social stigma of being a "smoker". In talking to other people, I have found that non-smokers think they are ridiculous and smokers are ok with them. I'm ashamed to admit that I am worried about what people will think of me but I work at my son's elementary school and I work with special ed children. I just feel like I will be judged, ya know?

so, does anyone here vape (with nicotine) for weight loss and anxiety? What are you experiences?

Non-smoker for 23 yrs. Then started vaping. Love it. Flavors alone are worth trying vaping. Give it a try.

My GOD!!! That's terrible to hear... I'm sorry!

Now while I would never advocate anyone who has managed to kick the sticks to take up vaping, I WOULD support anyone who took it up INSTEAD of relapsing to cigs if it came down to it. I too managed to quit for quite some time until learning all 3 of my brothers were diagnosed with cancer, all within a 6-month span. I immediately cracked under the stress and bought a pack of reds to help cope. You my friend, sound like you're on the edge, and we all know what the "Sensible" route would be IF the threshold is reached...

I wish you and your sister well and would support your decision.
thank you for understanding. After a 2 hour nap, I am calmer...been on the phone all night with family and I have a good support system in my hubby and teen daughter so I think I have my head on straight again. I am picking up where I left off here before I got the news and am reading through threads and such...I kinda like the idea of vaping flavors with 0 nic as a hobby and having some nic for hubby.

May I ask how your brothers made out with their cancer? I dont mean to cause you any pain but i'm about to enter a world that until now has always been a tough road for everyone elseto trod. I'm taking it pretty personally since i'm close to my sister. Did your brothers do ok with their treatment plans? We have found out its stage III for sure because its in her lymph nodes already. We also know its aggressive...the surgery will tell us more and she has already decided to give them permission for a mastectomy if they discover its stage IV during her surgery to remove the masses. She's got a good sense of humor so far "who needs 'em anymore at my age" she says. A big whopping 47...sheesh.

belsenj

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
East Northport, NY USA
I guess it wouldn't be bad for you to start vaping, but I would suggest that you do it with no nicotine. Almost all online juice sellers have 0% nic.

I am sorry to hear about your sister. Avoid any additions at this time is the best medicine for you. Vaping non nicotine would be OK.
You also might benefit from some therapy as well with a license therapist where you can talk through what is causing you stress in life. I have in the past and it was a very good idea and I benefited from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread