I Think I'm Dumb (or maybe just happy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
So I need to make sure right off the bat that no one misunderstands this post as somehow an attack on any vaper of any kind. I'm posting this because I have become genuinely curious and feel I may be missing out on my vaping experience. I've had an APV of some kind or another for the last 2 years or so, nothing ever real fancy or expensive (I just got an istick 50W and love it) but APVs none the less. I have found that I only really vape at very low Watts/Volts compared to many on this (as we speak I'm vaping The Virus in an old original model protank with a 2.2ohm coil in it at 3.8V--6.5W). Now it's not because I don't own a device that can reach the Watt levels I want, any of them can; in fact, I purchase higher resistance coils so I have a bigger range to vape at. My first VV battery was an ego style twist, and I have always kept with the same mentality (again, I'm not suggesting this is the right way, or better than others at all)-- I start at a low voltage, hit it, and continue to raise it .1V at a time until I get a burnt hit. I dial it one down, and there I am. Now I always use the Variable Voltage setting, and where I vape usually works out to be in the 5.5-7.5W range. Now, I have noticed that this is astoundingly low for the devices I use. My question is: when vaping at such high Watt levels, how can you taste the juice at all? I mean, at home (obviously not out in public) I would love to be getting even more satisfying vapor from these devices, which is clearly possible. So what am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Why is it that in the 6-7W range even my hits taste so burnt and dry I would never dream of continuing? All of your information/advice is greatly appreciated. Vape On.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I thought I understood the math but I guess not. Where is the second volts in your equation coming from? I never really pay attention to Watts, I just know what voltage/ohm rating I like, and on the display it tells me that happens to be around 6Watts. I realize the higher the voltage and the lower resistance the higher the Watts, and I can vape at very high Watts if I wanted to; my point is I don't because it tastes so bad there's now way any is actually vaping that and enjoying it. So obviously there's a piece I'm missing. Can you break it down a little more for me? Sorry, in some ways I am very much a noob.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
On a pro-tank, as others have pointed out, it's limited by the low air flow. If you crank it up, it's going to taste burnt.

I was like you,using a pro-tank with higher resistance coils, moderate voltage, perfectly happy with that.

Then I tried a Kayfun lite plus with better air flow and like my coil right around 1.5-1.6 at around 4 to 4.4 volts.

Then I tried a Lemo at 1 ohm and much better airflow and really couldn't get the voltage too high., but that thing plows through the juice, which even though I DIY, I got tired of re-filling it.

Right now, my go to is an expromizer that I've opened the air hole up on to a size 40 for better airflow with a 1.5ohm microcoil, rayon wick running at 4.4 volts.

Anyway, had to stop in due to the Nirvana lyric thread title.

Well played sir.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Ok. So it sounds like it's all about the topper

yep. all about the thing ontop.

when I try to vape 2.0 ohm coils at 3.7v on my Variable Wattage device on an RDA, i usually get around the same amount of vapor, but all my juices tastes the same like unflavored juice. I duno what exactly goes on in there but it feels like all the taste is just burnt out of it and all I taste is the VG/nicotine. but with sub 1.0 coils at 3.7watts I definitely can taste more flavor.

lots of the old tanks have small airholes and poor wicking system. I used to vape on a kanger aerotank mini and the wicking system just doesnt keep up with high wattage, just get dry hits constantly. I used to vape on that thing at 1.0-1.5ohms before i switched to RDAs. I mainly switched because the aerotank couldnt keep up with my eliquids I was using that were more VG and thicker/darker flavors, id go through a coil a day with that thing.

Last edited:

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
You're confusing volts and watts.

Think of it this way. Volts are a consistent. You can always have a decent vape at 4 volts. When you change the ohm, the watts have to compensate to remain at 4 volts. Say at 2 ohm, to be at 4 volts, you require 7.5 watts to achieve that.

And if you have a 1 ohm coil, you would need 16 watts to remain at 4 volts.

So what you're really asking is what's the difference between a 1 ohm coil at 4 volts, and a 2 ohm coil at 4 volts. Because the watts is just the power needed to achieve 4 volts at any given resistance. And the answer is, at1 ohm you will have more vapor, and more flavor due to the increased vapor.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Yes.

The newer sub-tanks/Aspire tanks as well as the drippers and even the RTA's have much better airflow than the pro-tanks.

Nothing wrong with a pro-tank, but it has it's limitations.

those have the same limitations crank'em up to high and the exact thing happens as the OPs pro tank. as said already but Ill say it again the new sub ohm friendly devices just add more air and juice to bigger coils so it makes more vapor and stands to reason more flavor but go to high and youll lose flavor and eventually burn your wick.

Its really the same principal as any other tank.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
those have the same limitations crank'em up to high and the exact thing happens as the OPs pro tank. as said already but Ill say it again the new sub ohm friendly devices just add more air and juice to bigger coils so it makes more vapor and stands to reason more flavor but go to high and youll lose flavor and eventually burn your wick.

Its really the same principal as any other tank.

I left out the juice feed variable, but otherwise we agree.

You can burn just about anything of you apply too much voltage to it.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I left out the juice feed variable, but otherwise we agree.

You can burn just about anything of you apply too much voltage to it.

I wasn't disagreeing with you UW just using your post for emphasis for the OPs benefit. Hes thinking mystical when its really the same old stuff just opened up lots more than what he has.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
The relationship between ohms, watts, and volts is not lost on; I understand that when I adjust the volts I'm raising (or loweriing) the wattage output and that if I were in VW mode adjusting the wattage would in turn adjust the voltage needed to achieve that and how the ohm resistance fits in. The variable that I was missing was the airflow/ juice uptake part. That's why after a certain point I am getting dry hits, which makes absolute sense, because it's the same reason I don't use 100% VG in them anymore. Looks like I will be investing in new toppers if I want a better cooling effect and consequently larger and more flavorful vapor. Thank you all, you have been very informative and helpful as always.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
So I need to make sure right off the bat that no one misunderstands this post as somehow an attack on any vaper of any kind. I'm posting this because I have become genuinely curious and feel I may be missing out on my vaping experience. I've had an APV of some kind or another for the last 2 years or so, nothing ever real fancy or expensive (I just got an istick 50W and love it) but APVs none the less. I have found that I only really vape at very low Watts/Volts compared to many on this (as we speak I'm vaping The Virus in an old original model protank with a 2.2ohm coil in it at 3.8V--6.5W). Now it's not because I don't own a device that can reach the Watt levels I want, any of them can; in fact, I purchase higher resistance coils so I have a bigger range to vape at. My first VV battery was an ego style twist, and I have always kept with the same mentality (again, I'm not suggesting this is the right way, or better than others at all)-- I start at a low voltage, hit it, and continue to raise it .1V at a time until I get a burnt hit. I dial it one down, and there I am. Now I always use the Variable Voltage setting, and where I vape usually works out to be in the 5.5-7.5W range. Now, I have noticed that this is astoundingly low for the devices I use. My question is: when vaping at such high Watt levels, how can you taste the juice at all? I mean, at home (obviously not out in public) I would love to be getting even more satisfying vapor from these devices, which is clearly possible. So what am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Why is it that in the 6-7W range even my hits taste so burnt and dry I would never dream of continuing? All of your information/advice is greatly appreciated. Vape On.

I used to vape at a similar level, but over time, my wattage has crept up slightly, and the resistance of my coils has crept down slightly; the only reason I have for that is that I *gradually* grew to find a slightly warmer vape preferable -- and I'm not talking about those 30/50/100 watt monsters; I mean I moved my Sigelei Zmax's setting from 8 watts to 10 or 11 watts; when I first got my kayfuns, I made coils in the 1.8 ohm neighborhood; now I tend to prefer 1.3-1.5 ohms. And the airflow is SLIGHTLY more open, but still a fairly tight draw. The slightly warmer coil provides a great deal more flavor, I've found, and a *little* more vapor, still fairly thin vapor by cloud-chasing standards (I use 83%-84% PG!) but just enough more to make it more satisfying overall.

As to your having dry hits at 6-7w, I'd guess a combination of factors, primarily the wick not wicking up the juice fast enough -- thick juice or too much wick (or both maybe); and perhaps needing greater airflow to keep it cool so it doesn't burn; spaced rather than tightly-compressed coils could also help. The greater the wattage, the better the wicking and airflow need to be; rayon is ideal for high temps, it doesn't burn quite as quickly as cotton, and it wicks a great deal better. I don't care for huge airflow myself, I prefer a fairly tight draw for mouth-to-lung, but there has to be *enough* airflow, or the coil will be too hot, and will vaporize the juice faster than the wick can handle, so it will burn.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread