Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Unfortunately I'm completely ignorant about the process. I plan to do lots of research and may have someone who can teach me but that's not definite.
I found this kit when searching the forums Coil Master DIY Build Kit Mini

Can someone tell me what else I'll need to get before I begin? Do I need to get new tanks? I have 5 kanger toptank minis, 4 smok baby beast, 1 big baby beast and 1 x-baby. I'd hate to have to get even more tanks. Also money is a concern. Everything else was given to me.

Other than knowing I need cotton I have no clue what supplies I need. Please help or point me in the right direction if it's already been posted.
Thank y'all! And umm if I offended anyone a week or so ago I'm truly sorry. It wasn't my intention.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Ok STM/Top tank rba and 26g or larger wire. Got it.
Is any one website better for purchasing the materials? I'm sorry, I tried warning y'all I might be wading in too deep for what I can do but I'd still like to try and build my own coils. Another way to save money once I get going. Thanks for any advice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Unfortunately I'm completely ignorant about the process. I plan to do lots of research and may have someone who can teach me but that's not definite.

Can someone tell me what else I'll need to get before I begin? Do I need to get new tanks? I have 5 kanger toptank minis, 4 smok baby beast, 1 big baby beast and 1 x-baby. I'd hate to have to get even more tanks. Also money is a concern. Everything else was given to me.

Other than knowing I need cotton I have no clue what supplies I need. Please help or point me in the right direction if it's already been posted.
Thank y'all! And umm if I offended anyone a week or so ago I'm truly sorry. It wasn't my intention.

If you have RBA Sections to go with your TopTank Mini's then you really Don't Need another Tank/RTA to get started Coil Building.

You just need some Wire, maybe 26ga 316 or 316L Stainless Steel, and some Cotton, maybe Pad Cotton like Muji.

You need something to cut the Wire with. Like a pair of Nail Clippers, the type that makes that Hideous Noise when the Nail gets Clipped. And something to Wrap the Wire around, like a Blue Screwdriver.

That would get you going.

BTW - Here is a Post I did awhile back where I detail the Stuff I use when I make coils. It All Isn't Necessary. But gives you an Idea of some of the things you might want Down the Road.

Hi Ethan. Here are some of the Essentials that I use every time I make/mount a Coils.

Atomizer Stand: I like SS because it is Heavy. And it doesn't want to Tip Over as much as say Aluminum. Also, being thread on one side and Thru Hole on the other is Nice.

$5.37 Stainless Steel Stand for 510 Thread Atomizers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Flush Cut Diagonal Pliers: You are going to need a way to cut the coil wire Very Close to the Atomizer Screws or Posts. So whatever you decide on, make sure they are "Flush Cut". I use these and they work Great.

$5.44 BEST-5 Alloy Steel + PVC Diagonal Side Cutting Pliers at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Coil Jig: Not absolutely necessary, because you can Wrap a Wire around just about anything round. But very handy to have none the less. I use the 2mm Mandrel to adjust the Coil as much as I use the 3mm to Hold or Make a Coil. I also keep Odds n' End under the Coil Jig like Allen Keys or a pair of Nail Tweezers.

$5.57 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - green / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Scissors for Cotton: I have Tried a Lot of Scissors for cutting Cotton. And, IMO, these Micro Serrated Surgical Scissors are the Best.

Super Cut Operating Scissors Blunt-Blunt 5.5", Pack of 2, Surgical Instruments | eBay

Ceramic Tweezers: I don't uses these that often. But if you need to Holed/Adjust/Jostle a Hot or Dry Burning coil, they are kinda a must. The bottom Combo Tool is can come in handy to Grip the Atomizer Deck on a Stuck RTA.

Ceramic is Fragile. And the Tips are Easily Broken. So use/store them gently. But what ever you do, Do Not Ever Touch a Coil with Anything Metal while there is Voltage Going thu the Coil.

$4.12 Authentic Youde UD Ceramic + Stainless Steel Tweezers for E-Cigarettes at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.61 Ceramic + Plastic Tweezers for E-Cigarettes - straight pointed tip / 41mm long tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

These Storage Boxes are Great for keeping Cotton Pads or whatever in. And if you are going to do a FT Order anyway, I'd throw One or Two on the order just for the Heck of it.

$1.86 Plastic Storage Box for Gadgets - white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

As for Wire and Cotton? That is kinda an Individual Choice. I think Pad Cotton is Easier to start of with. Because it is Easy to Gauge how much cotton you have by the Width of the Strip you cut. That, And I don't think Bulk Cotton or Rayon performs all that much better. Buy Opinions Vary.

Another thing. Not sure how good your Eyes are while doing Close-Up Work? But with mine, these are a Must. As with Anything e-Bay, do some Research on your seller. The Listing below is just for Reference.

Magnifying Glass Lens LED Light Lamp Visor Head Loupe Jeweler Headband Magnifier | eBay

The LED Light really doesn't work all that well. But the Flip Up type of Lens is Very Handy for switching from a Build to looking at a Computer Screen/YouTube Vid. Or for when you get up to get something from another room.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I don't have the rba sections for the top tanks. I was kinda hoping I could buy the RBA sections and use them with the tanks. Is that possible? I'm going to go through your post and make a shopping list. Luckily my bday is coming up so spouse has to let me spend some money.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't have the rba sections for the top tanks. I was kinda hoping I could buy the RBA sections and use them with the tanks. Is that possible? I'm going to go through your post and make a shopping list. Luckily my bday is coming up so spouse has to let me spend some money.

Sure. You can get spare RBA Sections. They're about 7 ~ 8 Dollars + Shipping from a US Seller.

Or about 5 Bucks from Fasttech. Which takes about 14 ~ 21 Days or so to get to you.

$5.30 Authentic KangerTech SUBTANK Mini RBA Plus Coil Head - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Can I use the wire that's already twisted? Or is that just really the height of lazines? Plus I'm thinking I'd be spending more money that way. I can't wait to get everything together and mess up my first coil! ;)
You can buy coils for the RBA on the tank top but you have to get the ones with legs across from each other or unwrap a leg on the other kind of coils. But really very easy to wrap you own and probably better.

Here are some kanthal ones for the Kangertech RBA, never seen them pre-coiled in SS

$5.08 Authentic KangerTech DIY Kit for RBA Rebuildable Atomizers - 60*48mm cotton (2pcs) + 0.5ohm coiled wires (20pcs) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Here are some SS pre-coiled in the right size for the Toptank RBA but you have to unwrap one of the legs to get them across from one another

$7.03 Iwodevape 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizer (100-Pack) - authentic / 26 AWG / 0.4mm / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Can I use the wire that's already twisted? Or is that just really the height of lazines? Plus I'm thinking I'd be spending more money that way. I can't wait to get everything together and mess up my first coil! ;)

Striving for the Height of Laziness is something I do a lot.

I like these either these...

$3.26 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 29 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 1.1ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or these...

$2.16 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

... in my Sub/TopTank Mini's.

And if someone is going to get something from Fasttech anyway, I'm Not Sure why they wouldn't throw them in on their order?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I found (however, I'm not the most dexterous person of all time when it comes to coiling) that starting with a dedicated rebuildable tank or rba to be a lot easier. Some of those decks for drop in tanks can be pretty tiny, and the tank isn't really designed for that so sometimes results are inconsistent. I'd advise looking for an RTA that is dedicated to your style of building and has a reputation for ease of use. You don't have to but it can make things much easier. Etc.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy building!

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm going to agree with Anna's post, except I'm going to recommend a RDA (rebuildable drip atomizer) instead of a RTA. There's a higher learning curve with RTA's.

A dedicated rebuildable atomizer is going to be far easier to learn on than a RTA or rebuilding coils for a tank designed to use factory-made drop in coils.

$7.85 Velocity Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 304 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping $8
I suggest finding a RDA that has a velocity-style deck. It has a lot of deck room and has only two large posts with large holes that are easier to install coils. Compare the two post velocity to three and four post designs below:

images

792_3_1898_large_Tobeco-Velocity-RDA.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Now that I finally HAVE one, LOL, I am going to agree that an RBA or an RTDA is probably WAY easier than tanks. OMG, wicking it right is the real learning curve with tanks.

I recommend rayon. Keep in mind I recommend that wick to EVERYONE, honestly. It solved 100% of my leaking problems, although I'd have to say that probably some experience with cotton taught me something, too. But switching to rayon makes it so.much.easier. LOL.

It's just a thought. Rayon's cheap (can get from Sally's or Amazon it's called Cellucotton and make sure you get the 100% rayon version, they make a cotton one.

Rayon's pretty sweet for leaking, (to me) because it shrinks when wet (cotton expands) and it plays to my strengths-- a desire to overstuff any coil I see with as much material as possible. It also lasts longer, can withstand higher wattages with ease, and etc. You still gotta get the general principles of how to wick done right, but for me, Rayon solved ALL of my leaking problems. Tight in the coil, and then a fair amount of thinning and trimming the wicks. Unfortunately, "how to wick" also depends on your tank or RDA, so watching a few reviews on your tank or RDA can be useful, not so much for the reviewer's opinion, but many of them are pretty good at illustrating how to obtain a successful build and wick.

Whatever you start with, tank or RBA, cotton or rayon, good luck! My first coil took about 4-5 hours and utilizing the husband AND ECF cliffnotes. I've come a fair distance from that point. THANK GOD. LOL.

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

A pin vise and a common 2-7/8" drill bit for a Subtank (RBA) coil then 30 seconds to an outstanding vape (you'll need to tighten down 2 posts, pulse the coil until it's uniform in color and wick generously). But you're minutes away from vapor bliss with a tensioned micro for the Subtank.

For details and feedback see threads below or PM me if you get stuck…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Good luck. :)

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Does it matter what kind of cotton I get? I'm just starting to hit utube to find out what I should be doing. Most of what y'all have suggested is in my cart at fast tech lol Also how many rba's do I really need for each tank? Can I make up the guts of the coil and then just insert them in the rba when I need to change the coil or do I need multiples?
I really appreciate all the advice, suggestions and links. I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this otherwise.

Reactions: stols001

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Striving for the Height of Laziness is something I do a lot.

I like these either these...

$3.26 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 29 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 1.1ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or these...

$2.16 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

... in my Sub/TopTank Mini's.

And if someone is going to get something from Fasttech anyway, I'm Not Sure why they wouldn't throw them in on their order?
Thrown in the order ;) Ty!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm going to agree with Anna's post, except I'm going to recommend a RDA (rebuildable drip atomizer) instead of a RTA. There's a higher learning curve with RTA's.

A dedicated rebuildable atomizer is going to be far easier to learn on than a RTA or rebuilding coils for a tank designed to use factory-made drop in coils.

$7.85 Velocity Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 304 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping $8
I suggest finding a RDA that has a velocity-style deck. It has a lot of deck room and has only two large posts with large holes that are easier to install coils. Compare the two post velocity to three and four post designs below:

images

792_3_1898_large_Tobeco-Velocity-RDA.jpg

Added that to the cart too. Had to get the d version, everything else was sold out. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread