Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Does it matter what kind of cotton I get? I'm just starting to hit utube to find out what I should be doing. Most of what y'all have suggested is in my cart at fast tech lol Also how many rba's do I really need for each tank? Can I make up the guts of the coil and then just insert them in the rba when I need to change the coil or do I need multiples?
I really appreciate all the advice, suggestions and links. I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this otherwise.
I recommend rayon because that’s what I use and like. A box of Sally’s on amazon is super cheap and the stuff is more heat resistant and better wicking and tasting than cotton. Some don’t agree with that statement so if nothing else i suggest you try both and see what you like. There is a thread on rayon that explains how to use it that’s super helpful. I think the most recommended cotton is kendo something like that. Best of luck, between here and youtube you can get all the info you’ll need.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
A pin vise and a common 2-7/8" drill bit for a Subtank (RBA) coil then 30 seconds to an outstanding vape (you'll need to tighten down 2 posts, pulse the coil until it's uniform in color and wick generously). But you're minutes away from vapor bliss with a tensioned micro for the Subtank.

For details and feedback see threads below or PM me if you get stuck…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Good luck. :)
Thanks for the tips, links, advice and willingness to continue to help. Once I'm sure I've got everything I need in my cart and can't find any other way to spend my husband's money I'll place my order. Then in a month or so I'll begin the task of teaching an old dog new tricks and hopefully make some good coils in the process. Sorry but I'm afraid I'll be telling y'all how it's going lol

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Now that I finally HAVE one, LOL, I am going to agree that an RBA or an RTDA is probably WAY easier than tanks. OMG, wicking it right is the real learning curve with tanks.

I recommend rayon. Keep in mind I recommend that wick to EVERYONE, honestly. It solved 100% of my leaking problems, although I'd have to say that probably some experience with cotton taught me something, too. But switching to rayon makes it so.much.easier. LOL.

It's just a thought. Rayon's cheap (can get from Sally's or Amazon it's called Cellucotton and make sure you get the 100% rayon version, they make a cotton one.

Rayon's pretty sweet for leaking, (to me) because it shrinks when wet (cotton expands) and it plays to my strengths-- a desire to overstuff any coil I see with as much material as possible. It also lasts longer, can withstand higher wattages with ease, and etc. You still gotta get the general principles of how to wick done right, but for me, Rayon solved ALL of my leaking problems. Tight in the coil, and then a fair amount of thinning and trimming the wicks. Unfortunately, "how to wick" also depends on your tank or RDA, so watching a few reviews on your tank or RDA can be useful, not so much for the reviewer's opinion, but many of them are pretty good at illustrating how to obtain a successful build and wick.

Whatever you start with, tank or RBA, cotton or rayon, good luck! My first coil took about 4-5 hours and utilizing the husband AND ECF cliffnotes. I've come a fair distance from that point. THANK GOD. LOL.

Anna
I'm not taking chances. I'm getting cotton and rayon, a tank and rba. I'll see which I can actually make into a usable product.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Does it matter what kind of cotton I get? I'm just starting to hit utube to find out what I should be doing. Most of what y'all have suggested is in my cart at fast tech lol Also how many rba's do I really need for each tank? Can I make up the guts of the coil and then just insert them in the rba when I need to change the coil or do I need multiples?
I really appreciate all the advice, suggestions and links. I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this otherwise.

For someone New to building, I would Recommend going with Pad Cotton. Because it is Very Easy to gauge how much is going to be in the Wick by the Width of the strip you cut off.

You will need to do some Trial and Error to get the amount of Wicking right. And it is a Tad Harder to do this using Bulk Cotton or Rayon.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
For someone New to building, I would Recommend going with Pad Cotton. Because it is Very Easy to gauge how much is going to be in the Wick by the Width of the strip you cut off.

You will need to do some Trial and Error to get the amount of Wicking right. And it is a Tad Harder to do this using Bulk Cotton or Rayon.
OK got it. One day I will proudly post a pic of my first coil and it will all be because of y'alls help.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK got it. One day I will proudly post a pic of my first coil and it will all be because of y'alls help.

Can't wait to see it.

:)

Because building your Own Coil opens up a Whole New World. And it will Free you from Constantly having to buy Coil-Heads.

One of those 50 Packs of Pre-Coiled Coils will last me about 10 Months. And I'm about 2/3 of the way this Bag of Cotton that I bought Years ago.

$7.39 Authentic Muji Rectangle Cotton Wick for RBA Atomizers (180-Pack) - 60*50mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Ok STM/Top tank rba and 26g or larger wire. Got it.
Is any one website better for purchasing the materials? I'm sorry, I tried warning y'all I might be wading in too deep for what I can do but I'd still like to try and build my own coils. Another way to save money once I get going. Thanks for any advice.
I recently started building - I only use a Kanger toptank for rba. I can attest to the fact that the toptank rba is pretty straighforward.
Here's a very basic supply list that should have what you need to get going
--wire - I use 24 and 26 right now. You could even get the premade coils - I did that at first.
--extra rba pieces for the top tank mini - this way you can premake a few. Here's the link $5.30 Authentic KangerTech SUBTANK Mini RBA Plus Coil Head - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
--cotton
--wire cutter - I already had one but here's an inexpensive one $2.32 PLATO #170 Flush Cutter for Rebuildable Atomizers - max.040" (1mm) dia copper Wire at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping You use that to cut off the ends of the coil after you install it. Even very good small scissors will do if it can cut wire.
-- coil jig
--ohm meter to make sure you are getting the resistance you want. (in a pinch you can use your mod just be careful)
--ceramic tipped tweezer - to push around the cotton where you want it and useful if you just need to change cotton out of the coil.
--baby screwdriver
--Scissors to cut the cotton (and/or wire)
--box or case to hold it all

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

My rotation custom is to have two in operation per flavor. So I keep one RBA head ready for wicking on standby. They're getting harder to come by. I use primarily the grooved originals as I can modify them. The current ones are fussy getting the cotton right but ok to begin with. I rec the old standard KGD. It's very easy to work with. But any good quality long fiber cotton will do. Ordinary loose cotton and erratic fibers we avoid.

Do def try a coiler. Make standard spaced. Then I'd be pleased to help with straining a good contact coil. I've found that when folks learn to make a good contact reliably stable their satisfaction level improves. They're not as effective if done wrong. Good thing is, it's not that difficult. That's where the pin vise and strain (pulling, stretching the wire) helps. You get a precise duplicate every time. I still use both both for different setups. Multi-wire which also has advantages is hard to read without some experience with wire mass and resistance. Takes a bit longer to appreciate that in the vape result. A base coil provides flavor and output perspective.

Gotta tell ya you gals really got it over on us by a longs hot rebuilding. So don't hesitate. You will be amazed. Nudge me if need be.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Got everything ordered and starting to get vape mail altho I'm not holding my breath on getting my fast tech order anytime soon. I did order precoiled wire to begin with on the advice of the real person (as apposed to internet) who's going to show me. He did give me a goon after all so I'll give his method a try. Once I can manage that I plan to switch.
Meanwhile there's tons of stuff here for me to peruse and maybe I can learn more than my "teacher" . Thanks again y'all!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm perplexed @Anise, heartbroken. Stunned you could so easily be persuaded by a Goon. :D

To me honestly starting out with multi-wire and particularly pre-spun without the experience to understand the resistance and short implications is kind'a like learning how to ride a mountain bike with training wheels on. You're likely to get stuck with 'em. But hey, what do I know.

Best of luck. :)

p.s. Hope you know I'm ribbin ya and my offer still stands. Glad to help if you need.

Reactions: stols001

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm perplexed @Anise, heartbroken. Stunned you could so easily be persuaded by a Goon. :D

To me honestly starting out with multi-wire and particularly pre-spun without the experience to understand the resistance and short implications is kind'a like learning how to ride a mountain bike with training wheels on. You're likely to get stuck with 'em. But hey, what do I know.

Best of luck. :)

p.s. Hope you know I'm ribbin ya and my offer still stands. Glad to help if you need.
I learned quickly that this guy knows a lot less about building coils than he let on. I'm just going to get the stuff I need to make my own coils. Between the people here the resources and the web I'm sure I can manage to work it out. Personally I don't even like the Goon myself. But I am still proud that I manage that much even LOL

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I learned quickly that this guy knows a lot less about building coils than he let on. I'm just going to get the stuff I need to make my own coils. Between the people here the resources and the web I'm sure I can manage to work it out. Personally I don't even like the Goon myself. But I am still proud that I manage that much even LOL

Well ya know I was just kidding. We none of us have all the answers. If anyone had, I'd be sitting at that campfire. Prove all things, I always say. And after a great many builds, I have more questions than answers. Guess that's part of the lesson. Question every conclusion. And you have.

Get a coiler, get a pin vise. Learn to make a base for comparison of standard spaced and closed coils by different means. Gain some understanding as to why things work. It's a lot more like the kitchen science we're all familiar with than we realize. Things start to make a lot more sense once we can relate them to what we know. Simple and solid gets us predictable. Confidence improves with reliability.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
BTW, about the best advice I could give a new vaper is to pair devices in rotation as I said and showed here and here. Get some cheap, easily rebuildable setups (with standby swappable heads) to use for comparison. Say of different wick media. You can always throw in a backup head identical to your control to make sure they vape the same. With time the pair becomes your fav for its consistency. That's when you know you're on to something. It's time for trials on something better, or not. A good way to save a lot of time and money.

p.s. I marvel at reviewers when they remember the vape they had with dev's or flavors a year ago. Some memories stick, most are vapor. Me personally, I like recipes.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Well ya know I was just kidding. We none of us have all the answers. If anyone had, I'd be sitting at that campfire. Prove all things, I always say. And after a great many builds, I have more questions than answers. Guess that's part of the lesson. Question every conclusion. And you have.

Get a coiler, get a pin vise. Learn to make a base for comparison of standard spaced and closed coils by different means. Gain some understanding as to why things work. It's a lot more like the kitchen science we're all familiar with than we realize. Things start to make a lot more sense once we can relate them to what we know. Simple and solid gets us predictable. Confidence improves with reliability.

I didn't take what you replied wrong. My reply might not have shown it but I did get it lol. I was just aggravated that this guy had made out that he knew everything about coils and barely knew what he was doing with the Goon. I know this won't be my last question so I won't say it is but do I need an ohm meter? This guy just hooked the Goon up to one of my mods to check the ohm. That kinda seemed dangerous to my mod.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I didn't take what you replied wrong. My reply might not have shown it but I did get it lol. I was just aggravated that this guy had made out that he knew everything about coils and barely knew what he was doing with the Goon. I know this won't be my last question so I won't say it is but do I need an ohm meter? This guy just hooked the Goon up to one of my mods to check the ohm. That kinda seemed dangerous to my mod.

Always good to have. But the circuits on most variable mods today are just as good or better. Tell ya what check it twice, and often. Multi-wire has made a lot of folks a lot less cautious. Just a few years back vapers were more conscientious about getting it right and making sure it stayed right once built. So in all fairness, mods are good ohm readers. And if there's a short they won't fire it as their protection circuits will show (as will a vape meter).

Goon's are a great RDA. Have several auth and high qual clones. Massive deck and airflow. Tremendous juice reservoir except those who only build for thinned out short wicking will never know how to take advantage of it. And not particularly a great flavor producer without some experience. So not a novice device yet prolly one often touted for beginners. You'll love getting there with some reliable greater vapor production.

Tanks are another piece of work. Getting one known to be generally reliable and not leaky is a good start. Once you get it built consistently it helps you identify the good and bad qualities of so called better. My better at the end of the day turned to be Subtank Mini bases with Trinity glass and rebuildable OCC's or RBA's. Always keep some prebuilt for less hassle when things get busy. Use high performance tanks as well. Everything is a compromise. Don't think there's a perfect but there can be a pretty close for each of us.

Me, I'm still vaping tootie from time to time and relish MTL every morning but really like rockin the big thick vape.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread