I think my attitude about vaping is changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
For those that don't know, I've been vaping since December 2012. When I first started I wanted a cig a like. I bought a blu starter kit and quickly outgrew it. From there I wasn't interested in a mod. I thought they were just too weird looking. So I purchased myself an ego setup. I used the ego setup for a couple months, and my attitude about mods changed as I did more research and watched probably hours and hours worth of YouTube video. So I upgraded to a Provari early this month.

I love vaping when I'm sitting around by myself. Even at work I've become comfortable vaping. All of my co workers know what I'm doing, and there are even 3 other people there that vape themselves. I was the first one by the way. But I'm still very uncomfortable vaping in public among strangers. I try to avoid it, which has caused me to be hesitant to participate in social situations. This is not healthy behavior.

My family knows that I'm vaping, and they are all supportive and happy that I'm no longer smoking cigarettes, but I still get the weirdo attitude from them. I was over at my parents house today for Easter and I was using my provari, and naturally a conversation was started because of it. My sister still smokes and she mentioned that she would never get into e-cigs because she thinks that a few years down the road we'll find out that they cause some disease that will start killing everybody. I responded by asking her what exactly does she think that the cigarettes are doing to her? Her response was "Well, at least I know what it's doing to me."

Whatever, my sister is kind of an idiot sometimes. My dad chimed in and mentioned that he thought it was worlds better than smoking cigarettes. But then he said something that just took all the wind out of my sails. He was like, "So you're gonna stop doing that pretty soon too, right?" I responded by saying "Why? It's not bad for me" And then he says. "Oh I see. Trading one vise for another"

I ended the conversation. I know all of us on ECF understand vaping. But the truth of the matter is, everybody outside of our circle has no idea. They see it, they think it's unusual. Period. A lot of the non vapors around us support the fact that we are no longer smoking cigarettes, but I think it's safe to say that almost all of them think that vaping should be a temporary thing. Like a stepping stone to quitting nicotine completely.

I know a lot of us have absolutely no intentions of quitting nicotine. And I completely understand that. I've been addicted to nicotine since I was 18 years old, and I know what withdrawal feels like. But after vaping for awhile now, I have noticed that my addiction to cigarettes is completely gone. The ritual of smoking cigarettes was a bigger part of my addiction than I ever thought it was. I have not practiced these rituals in quite some time. I have developed new rituals when it comes to vaping. But I can honestly say that I'm not addicted to them. I'm addicted to nicotine. I could do without the vaping.

So that being said, I think I'm going to start reducing my nic level. And I plan to do it rather drastically. This is a hard decision for me to make. I've only been vaping for 4 months. I think I've spent something like $900 on vaping. Up until recently I was completely committed to it. I thought I would do it indefinitely. But as I go on, I think I'd rather just ween myself off the nic and stop vaping.

It's not just the attitudes of other people that are driving me to make this decision. That is a big part of it. But I'm really sick and tired of fiddling with my equipment all the time. It seems like I can barely ever get anything to work right. I'll spend half an hour trying to properly prime and punch a carto, only to have it end up flooded or tasting burn't. I just spent $10 on two xheater heads for my vivi nova tank and I get nothing but constant burn't hits. I bought a 5 pack of boge cartos, and only one of them worked. The rest of them were garbage. I have found that only about 3 out of 10 smoktech cartos work the way they are supposed to.

It seems like whenever I try to set something up, it doesn't work. So then I spend more time setting it up again, and then it works for a half a day, and then it turns to ..... I'm tired of screwing around with stuff. Two weeks ago I got a duel coil carto working really well in a tank, and it's still working good. Only problem is now it's leaking out of the 510 connection. It's making a mess everywhere, but I refuse to throw it away because it's still firing good. If I throw it away or try to replace it, I have no guarantee that I can get something else working. I hate this crap. I want to be done with it. I spend too much time fiddling with vaping stuff while I could be doing something productive.

Right now I'm vaping around 2ml a day at 18mg of nicotine. As soon as I run out of 18mg juice, I plan to drop my nic level in 5mg increments. I'll vape a 30ml bottle of each increment until I am down to zero. It may seem a little steep. But at this point I'm so sick of the fiddle factor and the stigma from vaping that I'm ready to be done with it. I'll deal with withdrawal as it comes. One thing is for sure. I will not go back to cigarettes. That part of my life is done.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Well as for your Dad, he's got a point. Nicotine is a drug and and an addiction to it definately qualfies as a vise. That said all vises aren't necessarily very harmful obviously. It should come as no shock as well that most people hold the opinion that an addiction to a drug is not a good thing and you should seek to end it.

Personally though I learned long ago not to put so much weight into what others think. Make the decision you want not what others want. Life is too short for spending it living someone else's idea of what your life should be.

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Reducing your nicotine level drastically and quickly may not end as well as you'd like. I would advise you to keep your nic juices on hand in case you run into trouble. I wish you luck.

I've quit smoking cold turkey before. No patches, gum, vaping. Nothing. It's miserable, but the physical addiction to nicotine is broken within 7 days. After that it's all in your head. I don't plan to stop completely overnight. I'm talking about reducing my nicotine level by 5mg every 15 days. That should be enough to give my body to adjust to each drop. This is all speculation of course. It may not be super easy, but it has to be easier than going cold turkey from 18 to zero overnight. I've done that before. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Well as for your Dad, he's got a point. Nicotine is a drug and and an addiction to it definately qualfies as a vise. That said all vises aren't necessarily very harmful obviously. It should come as no shock as well that most people hold the opinion that an addiction to a drug is not a good thing and you should seek to end it.

Personally though I learned long ago not to put so much weight into what others think. Make the decision you want not what others want. Life is too short for spending it living someone else's idea of what your life should be.

I hear what you're saying. And I agree. But I think I am ready to stop being addicted to this drug. In about a week and a half I'm about to get on a 5 hour plane ride to mexico. And my main concern is what am I going to do about nicotine withdrawal. I can't vape on the plane, and I'm not gonna try it anyway. I've decided that I'm gonna use snus if I really need it. If I wasn't addicted to nicotine I wouldn't have worry about silly things like this. Most people can sit on a plane for a few hours and not have to worry about withdrawing from a substance. It's kind of dumb when you think about it. I'm just ready to be done with it. It's gone on too long. I don't want to be addicted to anything. Having a vise is one thing. But having a physical addiction to a chemical is exhausting at times.

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I'll take that Provari off your hands!

Seriously....sorry you're having problems getting things to work right. My suggestion...? Forget the Smoktech and Boge cartos and find some Ikenvape's. problem solved.

Forget the ViVi's and commit to watching some vids on youtube and get a cheap AGA rebuildable for $25. Get that thing running right and you'll be so satisfied with the vape, you'll wonder why you ever considered giving up, or why you'd settle for anything less.

There really isn't an "easy" way to a great vape. You get out of it what you're willing to put into it and I'm not talking about money.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Well it sounds like you are not getting what you had hoped to out of this hobby. I, like Scoop, feel that changing your hardware a bit could make it a much better experience. I gave up on Vivi's some time ago.

While I am not gonna try to talk you out of your choice, I would suggest one thing. If you are committed to this change, try an evod or some other clearo for your weening time. If you do not notice a difference in the quality of your vaping experience, proceed as planned. PM me if your Provari needs a new home at the end of it. Good luck.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
to reduce my nic levels, I found that using my current level and one below works just fine. I went from 18 mg to 6 in just 2 months that way. 18 and 16, then 16 and 12 then 12 and 9, right on down. Then I got into a lot of stress and was really getting depressed... upped my nic to 12 again and depression went away. Stress is over and I'm right back to anything between 0 and 6.
Nicotine has real health benefits when it's away from tobacco.
When people ask me if I plan on stopping, I tell them that I didn't start vaping to stop smoking, I started vaping to replace tobacco.
Yes, at some point in my future, I may stop vaping. I don't have any plans for doing so, but anything is possible.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
It depends on what you're after. Getting rid of the nicotine addiction? Getting rid of the fiddle factor and waste of time? Getting rid of the embarrassment/humiliation of being an addict?

If you can do it all in one, more power to you.

The first time I decided to quit smoking, it was out of anger at feeling like my life was being controlled by cigarettes. That only lasted a couple of hours (the quitting, not the anger). I'm not going to kid myself. I bought cigarettes before I bought food. I would much rather go hungry (even for weeks at a time) rather than go without cigarettes. But, I have anxiety issues than you perhaps don't have. I don't know.

So, I would more likely go after the other issues (public humiliation and fiddle factor) rather than the addiction itself. A combination of simplicity (SI Volt, original 510 with cartridges, 510-t with drip tip, or something small and simple, and adequate) plus snus or something like that for situations where you really, really don't want to vape.

This would mean not making it a hobby and not chasing the perfect vape. It would mean just using it to not smoke and that's all. You could even just use unflavored for stealth vaping. The point of stealth vaping is not only to avoid the embarrassment, but also to cut down. If you are pretending not to vape, you can't vape as much!

Of course, in this case you might up your nic level instead of lowering it. Use it more like taking a pill. Just get it done and get on with things.

And, cocacola, I agree with the TH problem. The TH is a big part of the need for nicotine. That's something I plan on experimenting with in my DIY agenda.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd run down the nic levels over time. No sense in quitting colds turkey when you can taper off and quit without the stress. If it takes a while, fine. I've often wondered how long it will take me to get bored with vaping. So far it hasn't happened, but I find myself going longer and longer between vapes. Sometimes, I realize that it's been 15 minutes since I thought about it. :)

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
I hear what you're saying. And I agree. But I think I am ready to stop being addicted to this drug. In about a week and a half I'm about to get on a 5 hour plane ride to mexico. And my main concern is what am I going to do about nicotine withdrawal. I can't vape on the plane, and I'm not gonna try it anyway. I've decided that I'm gonna use snus if I really need it. If I wasn't addicted to nicotine I wouldn't have worry about silly things like this. Most people can sit on a plane for a few hours and not have to worry about withdrawing from a substance. It's kind of dumb when you think about it. I'm just ready to be done with it. It's gone on too long. I don't want to be addicted to anything. Having a vise is one thing. But having a physical addiction to a chemical is exhausting at times.

Well I have been addicted to it for around 40 years, a pretty long time. I even quit vaping due to the fiddly and pain in the .... nature of the ecigs I was using 3-4 years ago and went back to analogs for quite a while. I am back vaping now as ecigs have improved so much I have been able to put together a simple ecig that I don't have to mess with all day. Yes having an addiction even an enjoyable and mainly harmless one is going to be an irritating pain in the .... at times, and I too plan to wean myself off it myself over time.

I use ego-T batts and a mini vivi nova with aluminum tank right now most of the time, two small ego-t batts and a tank of juice easily gets me through most of the day, and I have a rock solid ecig that is only 5 and a half inches long, a touch over 1/2 an inch round, is all quite tough metal and would take quite a lot to break if dropped or sat on, is easy to use, easy to clean and easy to repair, and there just isn't much fiddliness or pita factor involved and the ecig is small enough that it is very concealable.

I have larger batts at home and a couple different clearomizers, but I like simple, small, tough to break, fits easily in a pocket and works well for any time I am not inside my house.

Basically I am using a system I can take all the time I need to wean myself off it, and more importantly for me a system I can easily and conveniently carry with me for backup even if and when I do actually attempt to quit that I can reach for if it's too much for me to accomplish, rather than having a choice of a pita vape system I can't carry in a pocket and getting to it or buying analog cigs instead.

So good luck, but it might be a good idea to carry a vape around when you do actually quit so your not faced with the best easiest choice being buying a pack of smokes, or to handle situations like going to a bar months after you quit with no vape equipment in your pocket and falling off the wagon after a few drinks/beers which seems to be very common.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

It would be a good idea to switch to snus first to keep the nicotine and break the hand-to-mouth habit before trying to go cold turkey. (I'm of the mind that no matter what people use to "wean off," it eventually comes to the time when you have to stop and stay quit - that is the "cold turkey" part every nicotine user faces when they quit!)

It's interesting the idea that an "addiction is exhausting." People ask me why I want to spend money on and be a "slave" to anything. The thing is - I don't consider myself a slave to nicotine anymore than I consider myself a slave to food and water - upon which I am also dependent. And people spend a lot of money on things I think are silly - like expensive Starbuck's coffee or sushi. I hate housework, too - especially doing dishes. Cooking for a family of 4 can be exhausting at times, but that doesn't mean I want to give it up.

That said, I have had exactly the same thoughts about quitting vaping. Sometimes it's just a pain in the .... when all your attys die or you run out of liquid waiting for a delivery. Several times recently I've thought of quitting, but my husband probably never will be able to so he'd be doing it around me and eventually I know I'd miss it again. I've also thought quitting or using 0 mg might help us as an advocate. ANTZ accuse us of supporting e-cigarettes because we are just nicotine addicts justifying our addiction and it'd be nice to say, "Oh yeah? Then how do you explain me still being an advocate even though I'm no longer a nicotine consumer??"

Personally, I don't think it's "just" a nicotine addiction at all. It's the combination of nicotine and other MAOIs providing a physical benefit for us (in the same way as caffeine does for billions of people), a comforting habit we are used to, social benefits of the smoking with others and just pure pleasure - like people enjoy cigars, gourmet coffee, crafted beer or fine wines (all of which are also acquired tastes.) The physical "dependency" on the chemical nicotine is actually a very easy thing to break compared to other drugs. It's out of your system withing a week and any "cravings" are no longer your body telling you that you need it - just like the headaches and irritability caffeine-dependent people experience when they quit caffeine. By that point, "cravings" are just missing the BEHAVIOR of smoking and/or the benefits the nicotine and other MAIOs were providing you.

The idea that we smoked or vape purely because we "accidentally got addicted to nicotine" is (personally) ridiculous to me. ;)

Last edited:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
one of the things I love about getting old is I have noticed a change in my attitude. I no longer give a flying fig what anyone thinks of anything I do or don't do. if someone questions me on when I'm going to quit vaping or say I traded one vice for another, I just say,"I switched to vaping to SHUT YOU UP.............. I never plan on quitting vaping............. I don't care if in 5 years we find out it's killing me faster than cigs. do you plan to care for me when I'm 100 years old and won't die?.................... is it any of your business what I do?" etc. or sometimes I just stare at them like they are crazy
I love love being old :lol:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Hi Scoper50

I've been vaping for over a year and have gone from 24mg nic to 6mg nic during the day and 0 nic at night before going to bed. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised (as I was) that there are no noticeable withdrawal symptoms if you do it gradually. My personal reason to go down to 0 nic was to prove to myself I could survive without it if I ever couldn't afford to keep up with the expense of vaping.

Although lately I've been considering just keeping the 6mg nic going as nicotine is being researched to treat alzheimers/dementia in older people.

It's too bad you have to put up with negative comments from some members of your family and it is affecting your decision to vape. I'm older than you probably and am not affected by peer/family pressure to do or not do anything I don't want to. I've seen some relatives who made my life miserable because I smoked drop dead from a massive heart attack (he never smoked in his life, and no, I wasn't around him to blame second hand smoke) and from cancer (never smoked in her life). I'm by no means gloating, I do honestly hope that they enjoyed their lives while they lived.

Whatever you do let it be your decision, and you have my wholehearted moral support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread