Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Hello guys :) You know I get this issue as well from previous posts lol
I did try something I swore I would never touch - the sinus irrigation thing. I did the coward's way - sniffed the salt water off my hand rather than buy a Neti pot.
I googled neti pot and sinus irrigation and found a 'how to/DIY' webpage - thers a few out there. Tells you how much salt, how much water, what temp, and stuff like that.
It felt HORRIBLE.
But it did seem to help.
I havent had the 'no-taste of anything' thing as bad for a few days now.
It didnt work right away though. Took a couple of days, and I got a headache right after I did it.
Its not the juice - its definitely you (that sounds bad..lol) cos it was definitely ME, and its not your mouth, its your NOSE thats affected.
I didn't think it was my nose, because I could smell thing ok, but researching tastebuds its definitely not them, they only taste about 4 things.
Maybe give it a whirl?

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I did try something I swore I would never touch - the sinus irrigation thing. I did the coward's way - sniffed the salt water off my hand rather than buy a Neti pot.
I googled neti pot and sinus irrigation and found a 'how to/DIY' webpage - thers a few out there. Tells you how much salt, how much water, what temp, and stuff like that.
It felt HORRIBLE.
But it did seem to help.
I havent had the 'no-taste of anything' thing as bad for a few days now.
It didnt work right away though. Took a couple of days, and I got a headache right after I did it.
Its not the juice - its definitely you (that sounds bad..lol) cos it was definitely ME, and its not your mouth, its your NOSE thats affected.
I didn't think it was my nose, because I could smell thing ok, but researching tastebuds its definitely not them, they only taste about 4 things.
Maybe give it a whirl?

CaptJay, I'm really starting to like you !:) We seem to share some issues, so I don't feel like the lone ranger quite so bad.
Interesting about the saline/Neti pot thing. I actually bought a Neti pot not long ago,but too scared to use it ! I have chronic sinus issues, so my dr. said I might want to give it a go...Guess I'll really have to now ! ( But first, describe 'horrible').
And what you said about the nose; my sense of smell is really lousy, so this makes sense.

yano_jl

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
South Florida, USA
....sniffed the salt water off my hand rather than buy a Neti pot.... It felt HORRIBLE.

WOW. What you did, sniffing salt water, is far more uncomfortable than the neti pot.

I'm not saying the neti pot is enjoyable; but after the first 2 seconds, it is really no big deal. I recomend doing it over a sink (duh) in front of a mirror. I got a bizarre facination seeing all that liquid pour out of my face like that 8-o

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I have the wacky taste buds, too. Sometimes everything tastes like tea with no sugar. It usually starts out okay in the morning but as the day goes on I lose my taste or it has more of a salty taste. Today they've really gone bonkers and everything is sickening sweet!! Even my saliva is sweet! This is so crazy, I can't get the sweet taste out of my mouth and it's not a good sweet!

The only thing I did different was vaped most of the day on an 801 instead of a 510 or 901.

I'll have to get me a Neti Pot I guess. :( I don't think I have the courage to use my palm... I'd probably drown!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
lol I didnt like the idea of sticking that ...spout thing up my nose LOL LOL
Im such a wuss :oops:
Ok describe horrible - I hate getting water up my nose when Im swimming, I really hate it and voluntarily sniffing it up my nose, well..it wasn't my favorite thing Ive ever done.
I also didnt read the instructions fully and forgot to add the baking powder :lol: so it made the inside of my nose feel a bit..sandblasted. And the water FROM my nose coming out the other nostril and my mouth - yeah I could have died happy without experiencing either of those things :D
HOWEVER - despite my cynicism, it did seem to do some good. It certainly can't harm you according to many doctor websites and is in fact soemthing they do in hospital for chronic sinusitis.Still though..ewww.

No pain though - discomfort I'd have to say, or maybe htat was just shock lol. I had a headache afterwards, that could have been to do with taht OR tension from trying it out. No pain doing it though at all.

Katattack

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
FL
I'm have sinus issues too. Actually I have the neti pot and a positive pressure sinus irrigation thingie (you squeeze it instead of just letting it roll thru). I only use it when I think my sinuses are acting up but yeah maybe I should give it a shot (pun intended). The sinus irrigation only hurts if you hold your head wrong OR if you get the water too salty or not salty enough (good to use the premeasured packs to start off).
Perhaps we can all keep each other posted as we run into those juices that pack a flavorful punch.
GoodDog that's a perfect description..."like tea with no sugar" and sometimes the aroma of things but not the flavor.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Good idea, let's keep this thread going and see if we can get to the bottom of this. One day I lowered my nic from 24mg to about 15mg and it seemed to help. I should have stuck with that for a few days to see, but ... well, ya' know? What nic levels do you use and have you tried lowering it on these days?

I also get a burning sensation in my mouth that can be quite annoying. A friend sent me some Halo Menthol Ice to try and that takes the burning away almost immediately, but I can't go without my flavors! As soon as I go back to the flavored vape the burning starts up again.

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I do not want to be an alarmist here, but the post about a constant sweet taste spooked me. This is a sign of diabetes so please please please get checked if you have not already. 8-o

As for the inability to taste the vapor, does it happen with foods also? Iis called Dysgeusia. There are a wide variety of causes from zinc deficiency to dry mouth.

Okay, done being all medical and stuff..back to my normal goofy self. :D

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I do not want to be an alarmist here, but the post about a constant sweet taste spooked me. This is a sign of diabetes so please please please get checked if you have not already. 8-o

As for the inability to taste the vapor, does it happen with foods also? Iis called Dysgeusia. There are a wide variety of causes from zinc deficiency to dry mouth.

Okay, done being all medical and stuff..back to my normal goofy self. :D

Thanks Ast_Isis, I think I will get checked because I've also been very tired lately - more than normal!

When I lose my taste I also lose the ability to taste food.

dawgcrazy

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
It felt HORRIBLE.

That is NOT the correct way to clean out your nasal passages. It is also NOT the cowards way. I would never ever in a million years do what you did. You are NOT supposed to snort it. It is supposed to gently and freely flow from one nostril to the other...therefore "flushing" them out. Snorting it...well, I'm not sure where the mixture goes then..? In your lungs? YIKES.

I love my neti pot, and I use it correctly...never snorting anything. No wonder it felt horrible.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Ive been tired too (but not ALL the time, just AT times) but i have no other diabetic symptoms so Im not gonna bother getting checked out at this point in time. I do know that giving up the ciggies can cause tiredness, and I already have a thyroid issue thata being treated so its possibly connected with that (mine was hypER, but I think its swung the other way now lol).
Increasing excercise is supposed to help with tiredness due to endorphins mimicing the MAOI effect of cigs.
I can taste sweetness just fine as well, so mine is likely just my nose going into a slight, well this.. Anosmia - loss of smell - Better Health Channel.

I've not had a burning taste myself and I vape on 12mg usually - sometimes 18mg but not often, usually higher than 12mg for pacifying vapes gives me headache issues lol.
I do agree about the 'sugarless tea' mouth taste. I called it 'coffee made from sticks' but its the same thing. It IS kind of weird, theres a taste of SOMETHING but its a vague, maybe slightly oily (but not exactly oil) taste I have. I cut down the amount of sugar I take in coffee not long before I started vaping, and I have a feeling if I upped it again my coffee would taste better than it does right now lol but atm my coffee tastes..either too harsh or just..'not right'. I'm not gonna up the sugar btw :) Also - Ive noticed chocolate tastes differently than it used to, so I hardly eat any now.
I do have 'nose issues' that were much worse when I smoked. here comes the icky part. I had that constant 'feels like something, or phlegm, dripping down back of throat' feeling while smoking (smoking here means using cigarettes not just smoking one); my nose almost always felt stuffed at the back and if I got a cold I had a sinus involvement. Sometimes infected sinuses, sometimes just blocked. I had to clear my throat all the time (I do mean all) and coughed a lot, although my lungs felt and sounded (to the doctor) clear. I don't have allergies so it was never that.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
That is NOT the correct way to clean out your nasal passages. It is also NOT the cowards way. I would never ever in a million years do what you did. You are NOT supposed to snort it. It is supposed to gently and freely flow from one nostril to the other...therefore "flushing" them out. Snorting it...well, I'm not sure where the mixture goes then..? In your lungs? YIKES.

I love my neti pot, and I use it correctly...never snorting anything. No wonder it felt horrible.
LOL I got the info to do it that way off a doctor's site - so it was done according to the instructions, they tell you how to not snort it into lungs :) It only ever went into my sinuses, I'm crazy but not THAT crazy :D

dawgcrazy

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
Ok, since everyone is terrified of the neti pot, let me explain a little. It's a little plastic tea pot looking thing...it fits perfectly into your nostril. It does NOT hurt at all. You just have to put it in far enough to close off the air, don't stick it up to your brain or anything.

Look DOWN all the way, like with your chin touching your chest and slowly tilt your head to the side until the water starts to come out of the other nostril.

It's a little weird at first...my eye waters for a second, and the very first time I ever did it, it made me want to cough, but I think that is because I didn't have my head down far enough. DO NOT look up, doing so will cause it to run down your throat and/or into your mouth and you don't want that to happen.

There is absolutely NOTHING painful or uncomfortable at all about using the neti pot. At first it's sorta strange, but that's it. I highly recommend it for anyone with sinus problems, and those of you who can't seem to taste anything. Perhaps I should use mine again now since I'm having trouble tasting things again....well, that and all the extra boogers LOL!

It is nothing like getting water up your nose when swimming, or anything like that at all. Just remember to keep your head DOWN and breathe through your mouth and you'll be just fine.

dawgcrazy

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
LOL I got the info to do it that way off a doctor's site - so it was done according to the instructions, they tell you how to not snort it into lungs :) It only ever went into my sinuses, I'm crazy but not THAT crazy :D

I hope you don't believe everything you read on the internet... 8-o

I do not endorse snorting salt water. Ever. I'm glad it didn't go into your lungs. But seriously...go spend $10 and get a neti pot. It's easier and safer and it is much less uncomfortable than what you did.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I hope you don't believe everything you read on the internet... 8-o

I do not endorse snorting salt water. Ever. I'm glad it didn't go into your lungs. But seriously...go spend $10 and get a neti pot. It's easier and safer and it is much less uncomfortable than what you did.
I promise you I didnt just look at one site - really I was quite safe :)
I have a degree in science ( 2 actually lol), I made sure I researched it properly. I do however, agree that having looked more closely at the neti pot it seems a much better delivery device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread