Status
Not open for further replies.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Its only been 2 weeks... is that pretty average for a joye 510 atty??? I thought they would last at least 1 month. Its not clogged. It just does not produce vapor anymore. Anyone know of how to salvage it let me know.

I am so happy I ordered one now. lol It should get here Sat. Until then my DH and I will have to share.

Update on DH he has been off analogs for about 4 days! :D He love the apple pie 12mg 100% vg with just a little desert ship mixed in for just a little th. So I think I will try getting 10pg/90vg next for him. And we have lots of other flavors coming.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ok, my question would be: If you are using manual batteries and hold the button for several seconds, does the atty get warm or hot at all at the base where it connects to the battery? (If you are using something like an eGo do this with the stylish atty cover removed.) If you are getting heat, the atty is still working - or at least heating up. If it remains stone cold the atty coil wire is broken and it's dead.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
2 weeks is short of some but for most heavy vapers, it is not uncommon.
It is always best, once you find your favorite attys, get back ups.
I buy in bulk. Vapor Kings is the best price in the U.S. Overseas vendors are a tad more.
With their prices you can stock up...

No truer words... I never have less than 4 of "something"mizers of some sort on hand. For me, right now that's 4 510 attys, 5 cartos (really don't like - but in a pinch...) and an eGo Mega setup. I feel safe. Can you have too many? Well, that's a whole 'nother discussion. Can you have too few? ABSOLUTELY. And that's something ms. poo is learning you never want to happen. (I love your name!)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
You can get joye attys from VK or even ValueVapor for less.
VaporKings has joye 510 for about $5 ea in 5 or 10 pak
They also have other 510's for less which i think are just as good.
I buy 901's for $37 for 10.
I vape about 5 - 6 ml / day.
I usually put them aside after a couple weeks (to be cleaned) if they don't die, because the taste and vapor are diminished.
I have abut 50 used ones in a drawer... i might get a sonic jewelry cleaner or just toss them.

How much are they from Vapor Kings?

I got 3 mega manual batts and 1 atty + shipping for $55 from virgin vapors. There atty's were $7.99 each.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Mostly (if you'll pardon my guesses and assumptions/generalizations) people burn up atties due to not keeping them cleaned, and as performance drops, they over-vape/over-heat the coil and it pops.

Cleaning:
Use a least-harm --> most-harm method to keep your atty performing well. For example:
1) Blow it out twice per day. Just put a napkin over the threads and blow into the cart end with a full breath. This may be enough. Don't proceed to higher steps unless you must.
2) Rinse it out with hot tap water. Blow the water through a couple of times and repeat rinse. Then blow it out real well. Add juice and vape a bit.
3) Soak it in hot water and or use isopropyl alcohol. Again, blow-out/rinse well.
4) Dry burn as a LAST RESORT since it stresses the battery and the coil. Better than throwing it out tho.

Darker juices gunk the atty up faster too, so you over-vape it and fry it. LR atties don't seem to last as long as Standard Resistance (SR) atties.

SR atties last me over a month (then I retire them) and that's at 5 volts.

2-cents.

Last edited:

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
1. I never let the atty go dry. I always toped off carts and added a drop to the atty.

2. blew it out dayly.

3. Does not even get hot anymore. It did however start getting really hot before it stoped working.

4. It is a mannual.

5. not sure what kind of atty it was, other then the original joye 510... it was one of 2 attys that came with my kit.

The thing is, when I look at the numbers I would be considered a light vaper. .5-1lm/day is not even in the avarage area. So I really didn't expect it to go so quick. How many attys should I get per month for light to average vapers? I was thinking 4-6(for 2 people). Does that sound right?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
1. I never let the atty go dry. I always toped off carts and added a drop to the atty.

2. blew it out dayly.

3. Does not even get hot anymore. It did however start getting really hot before it stoped working.

4. It is a mannual.

5. not sure what kind of atty it was, other then the original joye 510... it was one of 2 attys that came with my kit.

The thing is, when I look at the numbers I would be considered a light vaper. .5-1lm/day is not even in the avarage area. So I really didn't expect it to go so quick. How many attys should I get per month for light to average vapers? I was thinking 4-6(for 2 people). Does that sound right?
I have spent a ton of money on everything vape related.
But once you are satisfied with your device of choice, it's about juice and then atomizers (cartomizers, tanks etc).
I have some rebuildable atomizers (genesis types) and they are expensive, and still in the developmental stages, but the goal there is perfect vape and never having to buy a disposable atomizer.

So that said, what you pay for juice and atomizers are what you can compare to what you spent on cigarettes... imo.
If I spent $20-30 a week on cigs I don't sweat an atomizer ($4 to $6 per week or two weeks). Why should I not have the best vape possible for that price?

I put them aside when they don't taste as good... i might clean them and i might just toss em.
I do intend to try cleaning them as Pops suggests.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

2. blew it out dayly.

Ok, that's the part I'm wondering about. If the atty isn't clean - including weekly dry burns - as the coil gets gunked up you can have a tendency to run it longer to get the vape you are looking for. If you are holding the button long enough that the atty is getting really hot, and/or the battery LED is flashing at you because you have had the button pressed so long, it still sounds like a gunked up atty problem. Gunked up attys will fail. And as my vendor says "Dry burning an atty to clean it might kill it in the process. Not dry burning an atty at all will definitely kill it."

4. It is a mannual.

If it's a genuine Joye kit they should be Joye attys.

Have you asked your vendor about the warranty policy? If it was less than two weeks they may give you a free exchange.

I can only tell you what my experience has been. I'm always using 2 Joye 510 attys at a time and since April 27th I have only killed 3 attys. The first two lasted about 9 weeks - and I wasn't very good about cleaning them and didn't dry burn either. The third one was always a "problem child" and had a hard draw from day one. It only lasted about 6 weeks. I wasn't surprised when that one died. The current two have been in use about 22 weeks and 15 weeks and are still going strong - with really thorough cleaning and weekly dry burns.

I hope that first one for you was just a fluke. You really should, on average, be getting more run time out of a Joye 510 atty than that. But do read up on the threads about dry burning your attys. To answer your question: If the two of you each have 2 e-cigs in use at a time, I would never have less than 8 attys on hand. The four in use, and four backups.

Rick

Last edited:

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Ok, that's the part I'm wondering about. If the atty isn't clean - including weekly dry burns - as the coil gets gunked up you can have a tendency to run it longer to get the vape you are looking for. If you are holding the button long enough that the atty is getting really hot, and/or the battery LED is flashing at you because you have had the button pressed so long, it still sounds like a gunked up atty problem. Gunked up attys will fail. And as my vendor says "Dry burning an atty to clean it might kill it in the process. Not dry burning an atty at all will definitely kill it."

If it's a genuine Joye kit they should be Joye attys.

Have you asked your vendor about the warranty policy? If it was less than two weeks they may give you a free exchange.

I can only tell you what my experience has been. I'm always using 2 Joye 510 attys at a time and since April 27th I have only killed 3 attys. The first two lasted about 9 weeks - and I wasn't very good about cleaning them and didn't dry burn either. The third one was always a "problem child" and had a hard draw from day one. It only lasted about 6 weeks. I wasn't surprised when that one died. The current two have been in use about 22 weeks and 15 weeks and are still going strong - with really thorough cleaning and weekly dry burns.

I hope that first one for you was just a fluke. You really should, on average, be getting more run time out of a Joye 510 atty than that. But do read up on the threads about dry burning your attys. To answer your question: If the two of you each have 2 e-cigs in use at a time, I would never have less than 8 attys on hand. The four in use, and four backups.

Rick

Yah I am thinking it was a fluke. It was a joye atty for sure. But its a little over 2 weeks now, and I got it from Thevaporpro.com. I am unsure of there policy. But I would rather just buy a 10 pk from vapor kings and be done with it. :) I am not much of a return/ complainer. Unless something is really bad/wrong. I did use that one all the time. It was my fave. So I didn't really give it much time to rest. I am not worried at all as far as buying new attys goes. I knew I would have to replace them. And as far as my DH and I not buy cigs anymore we are still saving a .... load of cash.

On cleaning them... I blow them out. but I am not sure what else to do really. And I don't know what a dry burn is.

On the ejuice color... I had started using desert ship, I would consider that medium color. Every other liquid I have been using is clear.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yah I am thinking it was a fluke. It was a joye atty for sure. But its a little over 2 weeks now, and I got it from Thevaporpro.com. I am unsure of there policy. But I would rather just buy a 10 pk from vapor kings and be done with it. :) I am not much of a return/ complainer. Unless something is really bad/wrong. I did use that one all the time. It was my fave. So I didn't really give it much time to rest. I am not worried at all as far as buying new attys goes. I knew I would have to replace them. And as far as my DH and I not buy cigs anymore we are still saving a .... load of cash.

On cleaning them... I blow them out. but I am not sure what else to do really. And I don't know what a dry burn is.

On the ejuice color... I had started using desert ship, I would consider that medium color. Every other liquid I have been using is clear.

Desert Ship is pretty run of the mill - that shoudn't have been the source of the problem. Especially at your vaping levels.

As far as basic atty cleaning goes there are three steps:

Blowing out the excess liquid as you are doing. But that alone isn't enough. That would be step one.

You would also blow out liquid if it seems like your vapor production has dropped off. That coil that heats up inside an atty isn't very big. And if it gets saturated with too much liquid it will have a difficult time producing vapor. It's one of those balance things. Too dry and you get nasty burnt taste. Too wet and that's actually counter-productive too. If the coil is over saturated things won't taste nasty, but you won't get as much vapor either.

Step two is rinsy rinsy rinsy with hot water. When you start looking at how to clean attys there are lot's of posts on ecf about this topic with lot's of different takes on it. But the most basic thing to do is rinse hot water through the atty to try to get the rest of the liquids out that you did not blow out in step one. If you have really hot tap water that works fine. Some folks go as far as putting them in simmering water. (Really hot, rapidly boiling water probably isn't a good idea.) Your next "highly technical tool" to add to the paper clip in your kit is a clothes pin. Clothes pin works great for holding onto attys while rinsing around in hot water.

Now blow, blow out as much water as you can. Perhaps even poking in there with a piece of paper towel to get extra water out. You don't want to use anything that would leave stuff in there. A Q-tip would be a no-no.

Now the dry burn. This is probably one of the better threads that discusses cleaning and dry burning:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/69834-my-atty-resurrection-method.html

Basically, you are running the atty now with no cart attached and no liquid at all. WHAT? THAT'S BAD! Well, not if you are careful. After all, every time you hit that button to vape you are heating up the coil in your atty. The dry burn allows the coil to be heated up in order to burn off residue that has built up on it. No matter what, an atty isn't an atty unless it heats up - be it for vaping or cleaning.

Read that thread - it's long. The biggest thing about dry burning is to be careful. In this case less is always better than more. But after you have already blown out, rinsed & dried your atty, when you dry burn if you still get some nasty smelling vapor appearing inside - that's a sign of a gunked up atty coil.

The dry burn involves hitting the power button for short bursts - like a slow 3 count - stopping - and repeating. When you look down into the atty you want to see an orange glow at the base of that metal bridge in the middle. (You may want to dim the lights to see it - not kidding.) On a Joye 510 atty at the base of the bridge there are a couple holes that the orange glow will show through. If the atty is really dirty at first it will be hard to see any glowing because there will be vapor from dry burning in the way. As you repeat the vapor from the gunky residue will go away. When you see orange glow and aren't getting any more vapor it's done.

As I said: less is more. You never want to hold down the button until the atty is glowing white or really bright orange. That would be too hot and that's where you might burn out the atty coil in the process.

Rinse it very well once more, dry, and you are set to go.

I know that sounds like a lot. But this isn't an every day thing either. Once a week is what my vendor recommends. And it can be intimidating the first times you do it. Stay on the side of being cautious. And you can always stop and and ask questions if you aren't sure how the process is going.

Or just wait, and try it a few weeks from now too. I didn't start dry burning until after I blew out my first two attys.

Short term, at least rinse your attys out several times a week with hot water to help keep them from getting gunked up.

Rick

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Thank you Rick! Awesome.

Well then I can honestly say that this atty just died on me. I did look into it without the cart (not gunked up at all) and no glow. But I will try cleaning it out just in case.

Thank you so much!

I got my new atty and 3 new batts today so I am all set. Of course when I get paid I will be getting that 10 pack of attys. My vaping world is perfect again! :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yay! Stuff!

Funny you mentioned that - looking into the atty. I was about to come back and say something about doing that. If you look down into an atty that you have used for a week or two and compare it to a new shiny clean atty you should see a difference. There will be a build up of "stuff" in there over time. And that's what you are trying to keep to a minimum by cleaning.

Not saying this should be a royal pain in the .... either. There is still choice. Us tech-geeks and the frugal minded try to milk these suckers for whatever we can get out of the attys. And a clean atty gives the best results. For other people "use it and toss it" works ok too. That's what great about vaping - you get to make up your own rules.

BTW: I see you are hitting your three week mark soon. Congrats! Any thoughts to share about the experience nearly 3 weeks in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread