I thought the lower the ohms the higher the wattage needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2015
Somewhere In PA
I am a tad bit confused. Im looking at the aspire alantis online. I dont sub ohm or really want to. So i was searching to see if bvc coils for it were available in 1.0 and up ohms. I found a few places that offers them. Great..but this is what is says

• 0.3 ohm: 70-80W (Will still fire at lower watts. Anything lower than 40W might not be a satisfying vape)
  • 0.5 ohm: 20-30W
  • 1.0 ohm: 40-50W
Why is the wattage higher for the higher ohm of 1.0 than 0.5?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
A lower resistance coil naturally wants more power. You can verify this using ohms law. Ohms Law Calculator

So if you have some lower gauge multi-coil build, this wire works best with a lot of power, but the resistance is low.
If you have a very thin high gauge single coil build, this wire doesn't need as much power to heat up, but the resistance is high.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Sorry I got called away for a moment.

It's a lot more complex than just lower ohms equals higher wattage. 10W from a 0.3ohm coil is the same as 10W from a 2ohm coil.

Most power supplies can push more power through a low resistance coil than they can through high resistance coils because of voltage limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fit_Four_Life

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Well, if you think about it in terms of adding coils. Say you have a .42 ohm single coil of 24g kanthal, 6 wraps. If you want to add a second identical coil, the resistance drops to .21 ohm... if on an unregulated mod, the wattage would double. But the wattage NEEDS to double, because now there are twice as many coils to heat up.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am a tad bit confused. Im looking at the aspire alantis online. I dont sub ohm or really want to. So i was searching to see if bvc coils for it were available in 1.0 and up ohms. I found a few places that offers them. Great..but this is what is says

• 0.3 ohm: 70-80W (Will still fire at lower watts. Anything lower than 40W might not be a satisfying vape)
  • 0.5 ohm: 20-30W
  • 1.0 ohm: 40-50W
Why is the wattage higher for the higher ohm of 1.0 than 0.5?

if the two coils are single coil of the same type of wire, the higher resistance coil will need higher power.

it is a misperception to think that lower ohms needs higher wattage. the reality is that :
1: a dual coil will need twice as much power compared to just one of them, and the resistance will be half the ohms compared to the ohms of one of them
2: thicker gauge wire needs more watts per ohm compared to thinner gauge wire.

Because of these two factors, high power coils are usually thicker gauge wire and/or multicoils, and as a result they are lower ohms.
But merely having a lower ohm does not mean more power is needed.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
if the two coils are single coil of the same type of wire, the higher resistance coil will need higher power.

it is a misperception to think that lower ohms needs higher wattage. the reality is that :
1: a dual coil will need twice as much power compared to just one of them, and the resistance will be half the ohms compared to the ohms of one of them
2: thicker gauge wire needs more watts per ohm compared to thinner gauge wire.

Because of these two factors, high power coils are usually thicker gauge wire and/or multicoils, and as a result they are lower ohms.
But merely having a lower ohm does not mean more power is needed.
I agree with this. I was just trying to convey that the atlantis coilpacks are probably getting that lower resistance with a lower gauge or additional coils, rather than fewer wraps in the same space... hence the higher power requirement.

Reactions: Baditude

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I believe the difference in the wattage requirements between the 1.0 ohm and the 0.5 ohm coils for the Atlantis is because of the design. The 0.5 ohms coils are the older design with the smaller wick holes, while the 1.0 ohm coils have much larger wick holes (they are about double the size). So the 1.0 ohm will wick better and can handle higher wattages. Also, I believe the gauge of the wire used for winding the coils are different as well. The gauge of the wire in the 1.0 ohm coil may require higher wattages to heat up than the gauge of the wire in the 0.5 ohm coil.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I agree with this. I was just trying to convey that the atlantis coilpacks are probably getting that lower resistance with a lower gauge or additional coils, rather than fewer wraps in the same space... hence the higher power requirement.

They need higher power because thicker wire heats up slower than thin wire. Hit a 0.3ohm 22awg single coil with 10W and it will take around 10 seconds to heat up to 450*F. Hit a 2ohm 30awg single coil with 10W and it will hit 450*F in around 2 seconds.

Reactions: GemInEye

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2015
Somewhere In PA
Perhaps i should just stick with my nautilus lol. The conversation is way over my head. I was thinking about trying a diff bvc tank but was confused on what coils would best suit me...and confused on the wattage requirements. Right now i have the nautilus mini and 1.8 coils. I have a new mod coming and wanted to get a semi bigger tank to go on it so i figured id look at Nautilus sister.... the Atlantis. But now im unsure that i should get it because the mod goes up to 50w and for the 1.0 ohm id be maxing out the mod. Is that right? i really didnt want to sub ohm because of the juice requirements and huge clouds. mtl lady here.

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2015
Somewhere In PA
I believe the difference in the wattage requirements between the 1.0 ohm and the 0.5 ohm coils for the Atlantis is because of the design. The 0.5 ohms coils are the older design with the smaller wick holes, while the 1.0 ohm coils have much larger wick holes (they are about double the size). So the 1.0 ohm will wick better and can handle higher wattages. Also, I believe the gauge of the wire used for winding the coils are different as well. The gauge of the wire in the 1.0 ohm coil may require higher wattages to heat up than the gauge of the wire in the 0.5 ohm coil.

They need higher power because thicker wire heats up slower than thin wire. Hit a 0.3ohm 22awg single coil with 10W and it will take around 10 seconds to heat up to 450*F. Hit a 2ohm 30awg single coil with 10W and it will hit 450*F in around 2 seconds.

Okay i get it now it comes down to the gauge of wires used to make the coils... Thank you. So im guessing the alantis is out. :( I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.

Reactions: Baditude

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Yes, thanks for restating what I was trying to convey.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Okay i get it now it comes down to the gauge of wires used to make the coils... Thank you. So im guessing the alantis is out. :( I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.
What sort of mod are you using? FWIW, the recommended wattages are just that, recommendations. You don't need to vape at those wattages. When I tried the 0.3 ohm coil, I found that my sweet spot was around 50 watts up to 60 watts. Any higher and the vape just got too hot for me. If you want to keep the wattages on the low side and tootle puff, you could also try the 1.8 ohm Triton coils. The recommended wattages on that is 10-13 watts. The ratings on the other Triton coils are:

0.4 ohm - 25-30 watts
0.3 ohm - 45-55 watts

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I won a disruptor. So looking for a tank. I do believe i am a tootle puffer. I am a mtl person and i really had been shying away from lower resistances because i read somewhere that it uses a crazy amount of juice.
Might want to look for a Triton. In Phil Busardo's review of the Triton, he says that the 1.8 ohm coil in the Triton makes it an awesome MTL tank. The hole down the middle of the coil is very narrow so it shouldn't be airy at all. The tank comes with a 0.4 ohm and the 1.8 ohm coil. The fill hole is small though (that is my one complaint about the tank). Your juice bottles needs to have needle tips on it. Droppers will work as long as they are thin droppers. Too wide and it is pretty easy to accidentally drip some juice down the chimney, which will then leak out the air flow control.

I just ordered these today so I can put my juice in it just for filling the Triton.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDWD31K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I won a disruptor. So looking for a tank. I do believe i am a tootle puffer. I am a mtl person and i really had been shying away from lower resistances because i read somewhere that it uses a crazy amount of juice.

IMO
Get a Kangertech Mini wiith .5 ohm coil.
You can set the air flow to tight, like your Nautilus, and if you want, opon to full flow/crank up the watts/ and enjoy!

Reactions: _JB_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread