I tried a plain un punched carto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I got a a pretty good price on a Smoktech XL single coil 1.7ohm (un punched) and just wanted to try it without tank. I had only used a X8 tank and a dual coil carto before. I got another carto tank to try later too but....

It must have taken close to 2ml filling it slowly using a bottle and a needle. I got it good and "slushy" without getting hardly anything in the center hole. Let it set and double checked it. All is good.

All was actually very good IMO. Batitude had mentioned a single coil preference so i got this one and two other ones that are punched. Well this worked so well with a cheap drip tip and i don't use much juice a day that it almost make me wonder if this will work just as well as a tank for me. It seems to hold as much as or more than an iClear16 and taste better. The whole stainless steel carto cost less than the wick for the iClear. It hits like a freight train with a nice warm vapor. Personally i thought it was better than my Mini Pro tank-II with this particular 60VG/40PG juice.

I think it looks kinda cool too on the MVP. It reminds me of an older cell phone or little walkie talkie.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Glad to see you are enjoying the cartomizer. Since you like a warm vapor and low resistance, maybe try one of the really big dual coil cartomizers made by Smoktech. Smoktek XXXXL (4XL) 510 Dual Coil Cartomizers - AltSmoke These have a 4 - 4.5 ml capacity and produce a lot of warm vapor with a strong hit.

xxxxldualcoilcartomizer.jpg BB.jpg

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you for the link. It looks interesting and appears to have a whistle type tip included?

After my last 1.5ohm dual coil tank attempt which was not bad but not great either, i think im going to see what else i can find in LR single coil XL or XXL long carto. The Smok XL 1.7 im using atm as a stand alone is warm but not hot. Its right in my "comfort zone" for this juice and i like the flavor. Its neck and neck with the bottom coil T3S/MT3S ive been using. I like the simplicity and no leaks. More volume though would be really nice.

BTW this is with two different berry/desert flavors and i like them a tad warm. The mint and menthols i prefer to be slightly cooler and they are perfect in my Pro Tanks. I still need to try one as a stand alone with the mint type juices. For some reason the berry/desert juices i like so well in my other clearos and the plain carto is not that great in my Pro Tanks. Flavor seems very muted and i don't understand why.

I just got a new menthol to sample and it was an eye opener at the sample bar. It looks like i need to run back down to the B&M and get some more while they are still on sale. A $1.39 XL carto vs a $5-8 clearo is a no brainer to me. :D Both eventually burn out. Coils are 5/$5.95 so the cost difference is minimal if they last about the same amount of time.

Thanks again Batitude.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Have fun with them, there are a few users here that love them yet, most moved on to carto tanks.

Ive tried a couple of cheap carto tanks (X8 and UDCT) and so far i like the simplicity of just a plain carto. When/if i do get another carto tank it will be a AGR+ or more likely a IBtanked 19mm. I really like that IBtanked with SS end caps. Im not a big fan of anodized.

ATM im really enjoying a plain Smok XL 1.7ohm single coil with just a drip tip. Thank you for the response though. My search has turned up very few reviews on using cartos longer than XL.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Ive tried a couple of cheap carto tanks (X8 and UDCT) and so far i like the simplicity of just a plain carto. When/if i do get another carto tank it will be a AGR+ or more likely a IBtanked 19mm. I really like that IBtanked with SS end caps. Im not a big fan of anodized.

ATM im really enjoying a plain Smok XL 1.7ohm single coil with just a drip tip. Thank you for the response though. My search has turned up very few reviews on using cartos longer than XL.

Great that you're enjoying vaping! It'd be good to spend time like you are getting to know the ins and outs of cartos b4 proceeding to tanks.

They won't be so intimidating then, and honestly- they're very easy to use.

Have fun!

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    I got a a pretty good price on a Smoktech XL single coil 1.7ohm (un punched) and just wanted to try it without tank. I had only used a X8 tank and a dual coil carto before. I got another carto tank to try later too but....

It must have taken close to 2ml filling it slowly using a bottle and a needle. I got it good and "slushy" without getting hardly anything in the center hole. Let it set and double checked it. All is good.

All was actually very good IMO. Batitude had mentioned a single coil preference so i got this one and two other ones that are punched. Well this worked so well with a cheap drip tip and i don't use much juice a day that it almost make me wonder if this will work just as well as a tank for me. It seems to hold as much as or more than an iClear16 and taste better. The whole stainless steel carto cost less than the wick for the iClear. It hits like a freight train with a nice warm vapor. Personally i thought it was better than my Mini Pro tank-II with this particular 60VG/40PG juice.

I think it looks kinda cool too on the MVP. It reminds me of an older cell phone or little walkie talkie.

Yippee! Let's hear it for naked cartos! I adore cartos and I use them plain, tanked, decorated, who knows. I love that you are using your XL like a tank! Happy Vapes to you, Evi|grin.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2013
    Yep been enjoying it all day. I had to top it off a couple times just to be safe. Considering the flavor and cost i don't mind at all. I got a 10 pack on hold since i could not get there today. Its pretty hard to beat $1.39 each and some cheap sample bar drip tips.

I think the UDCT tank might have a bad lower o-ring or a bad carto. It leaking into the battery connection badly within minutes of use. I get a few good easy pulls and then its gurgle city. Ive been using a sealed 510 extension after i noticed it on the MVP's connection. The flavor is ok though but i think i may like a lower resistance carto better. I will see what they have when i pick up the other ones.

The X8 tank with the 1.5ohm dual coil does not leak but the flavor just isn't there with my mint/menthols. My Pro Tanks and other clearos are far superior with those juices so far. I may try it with this other juice since i have one more dual coil left.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2013
    I tried a few more of the Smoktech 1.7ohm XL cartos today using the condom fill method and now im hooked!!!

Elite VaporWorks juice all 70PG/30VG.
    MVP V2 set at only 6.5watts to 7watts
    510to510 sealed extension
    Cheap sample bar drip tip and Pro Tank Drip tip

Banana Nut Bread....OMG it tastes just like the real thing!!!
    BlueBerries and Cream...This is one fine tasty juice and works well if i swap out from BlueBerry Waffle
    Menthol...Well its good but i still like the mint and menthols better in the ProTanks and clearos.

I still can not figure out why the berry and desert type juices don't seem to impress me in the PTs but the mints are a home run. Both juice types are quite acceptable in the plain cartos. The Banana nut was insanely good in the carto. Kinda hard to explain but it "finishes" with a nice nut flavor which does not come through quite as well in the T3S even with a brand new 1.8ohm coil.

I love the condom fill method. I was a bit leery at first but they were cheap so what the heck. Ive been using the drip, fling, drip. fling ect ect method from a needle fill bottle. Why did i not try this before!!!!! I guess i was skeered :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread