I want to make sure im safe while vaping! how is this mod setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe m

Jul 15, 2016
CT
Hello! Im Zoe. New to this forum but not that new to vaping. Been vaping for a few years now, just started getting a little more serious in the last 7 months or so. Here are the setups ive had

Ego starter kit
Kanger tech sub box mini
rx200 with tfv4 tank running at .16 ohms

Ive built on both the sub box and tfv4 with the rbas they include.

I just recently purchased a gold limitless mod, with the red bandanna rda for a little graduation gift to myself. Im quite excited about it but i really want to make sure that im safe, yet at the same time having a really dope setup.

So i bought pre made .5 ohm 26 gauge twisted coils. Im going to build dual coils on the limitless rda, so the ohms of the atty should be .25. current would be around 17 amps, Using an Lg hg2 battery running at a full charge of 4.2 volts.
As far as i know the lg hg2 has a continuous disharge of 20amps and a max of 30amps. so im hoping that this build will be safe. this is my first mech mod, and i dont wanna blow myself up, but i want thick clouds and tasty vapor. any input would be great!

Thanks for reading, - Zoe

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! Congrats on graduation. Before using those coils, check the resistance yourself. You can probably use your RX200 for that. It's important, as it is not uncommon (IME) to discover significant variation from the "labeled resistance" on those premade coils. You cannot assume if it says 0.5 ohm it really is, especially with a mech mod.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Be sure to check out battery stuff in the battery section on this forum as well. The LG HG2 does have a 20A rating. Be sure to check that your battery is authentic before relying on it (bought from a known, responsible dealer, not eBay or even Amazon). There are a lot of reference data available in there to help you assure a proper safety cushion in use. If you are calculating a 17A load (fully charged), then perhaps a battery with a REAL rating of 25A might be more appropriate (battery specs are frequently inflated to help sales, we are fortunate to have a member here, Mooch, who has put a great deal of effort into testing batteries and establishing their true performance characteristics). LG, Samsung, Sony are all well regarded so long as they are authentic.

Reactions: zoe m

zoe m

Jul 15, 2016
CT
how can you tell if a battery is authentic or not. i just got my stuff off of vaporworld, they claim all of their products are authentic. anyway im not planning on buying another battery unless of course the ohm reading really requires more amps. Do you highly recommend i get the 25 amp? Im new at this and i want to be safe. but i think the 20 amps is ok?? again not really sure on this. what is a good safety cushion between the ohm current and the continuous current of the battery?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Using Ohm's law, which does work, you can figure the current draw for a given resistance and voltage. A 20A continuous rated battery will deliver 17A. Which sounds fine for you. Now, what happens if it turns out the resistance isn't what you initially thought? If it's higher, no problem, if it's lower, you're going to be pushing the battery to its limit. Me? I like cushions.

Now, that's coming from a very conservative, low wattage tootler. A 0.25 ohm drawing 17A, or ~73W, should be OK. However, if your coil comes in at 0.2 ohm instead of 0.25, you're suddenly pulling 21A. Your ohm meter might having a bad day, and it's really 0.17 ohm, bang ~24A. So for an old conservative guy, if I were using a mech with a purported 0.25 ohm coil, I'd probably be happier with a battery with a real 25A rating.

Authentic versus counterfeit. Given how incredibly easy it is to rewrap a battery, you need to have faith in the seller. I've never bought from Vaporworld but I have heard the name. If you are confident in them, you're set. I usually buy my batteries from battery specialty places like IMR.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello! Im Zoe. New to this forum but not that new to vaping. Been vaping for a few years now, just started getting a little more serious in the last 7 months or so. Here are the setups ive had

Ego starter kit
Kanger tech sub box mini
rx200 with tfv4 tank running at .16 ohms

Ive built on both the sub box and tfv4 with the rbas they include.

I just recently purchased a gold limitless mod, with the red bandanna rda for a little graduation gift to myself. Im quite excited about it but i really want to make sure that im safe, yet at the same time having a really dope setup.

So i bought pre made .5 ohm 26 gauge twisted coils. Im going to build dual coils on the limitless rda, so the ohms of the atty should be .25. current would be around 17 amps, Using an Lg hg2 battery running at a full charge of 4.2 volts.
As far as i know the lg hg2 has a continuous disharge of 20amps and a max of 30amps. so im hoping that this build will be safe. this is my first mech mod, and i dont wanna blow myself up, but i want thick clouds and tasty vapor. any input would be great!

Thanks for reading, - Zoe
Don't use a hybrid mech mod and don't build beluw .3 ohm, and DO get top shelf batteries.

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
Your batts aren't going to stay at 4.3 volts very long, 3.7 is the nominal voltage that is where they will stay the longest. If you are building that close to the amp limit, it's something to consider. Also consider CDR for accidents, lg hg2s are great batts, but more for long life than big amps. Hb6s? are what I would use if you want to run that set up, personally, you trade run time for amps, but are less tied to volts (so less checking of volts) with the extra amps. Calculate what that set up is running at say 3.3 volts, and if you aren't diligent about it. Or stick it in your pocket and have it fire for 3 mins before you notice it and volts sag to 3.0.

Reactions: Eskie

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Running too close to the edge leaves little wiggle room for mistake or oversight. These things can turn into pipe bombs in your mouth.

How close to the edge do you want to be when something goes wrong or a mistake is made?
Mistakes do happen, are you willing to accept full responsibility for your choices?

Your risk tolerance in the name of being "dope" is higher than mine.

On a mech. my lower limit is 0.5 ohm., not dope at all. But when my locked mech misfired in my pocket I walked away unharmed.
Be safe out there.

Old man story/lecture now over.

zoe m

Jul 15, 2016
CT
Running too close to the edge leaves little wiggle room for mistake or oversight. These things can turn into pipe bombs in your mouth.

How close to the edge do you want to be when something goes wrong or a mistake is made?
Mistakes do happen, are you willing to accept full responsibility for your choices?

Your risk tolerance in the name of being "dope" is higher than mine.

On a mech. my lower limit is 0.5 ohm., not dope at all. But when my locked mech misfired in my pocket I walked away unharmed.
Be safe out there.

Old man story/lecture now over.
thanks for your comment! i meant dope more as looks cool and performs well. I want to be as safe as i can. I must confess im a little ignorant with all of this stuff but ive really been trying to learn the best i can. I purchased the .5 ohm coils thinking that .5 would be a perfect spot for me to start. However i didn't know running dual coils would make the resistance go from .5 to .25 (a big duh haha). if i had known that earlier i wouldve for sure gotten coils with a higher resistance. i really appreciate everyones input! much love:laugh::laugh:

zoe m

Jul 15, 2016
CT
Using Ohm's law, which does work, you can figure the current draw for a given resistance and voltage. A 20A continuous rated battery will deliver 17A. Which sounds fine for you. Now, what happens if it turns out the resistance isn't what you initially thought? If it's higher, no problem, if it's lower, you're going to be pushing the battery to its limit. Me? I like cushions.

Now, that's coming from a very conservative, low wattage tootler. A 0.25 ohm drawing 17A, or ~73W, should be OK. However, if your coil comes in at 0.2 ohm instead of 0.25, you're suddenly pulling 21A. Your ohm meter might having a bad day, and it's really 0.17 ohm, bang ~24A. So for an old conservative guy, if I were using a mech with a purported 0.25 ohm coil, I'd probably be happier with a battery with a real 25A rating.

Authentic versus counterfeit. Given how incredibly easy it is to rewrap a battery, you need to have faith in the seller. I've never bought from Vaporworld but I have heard the name. If you are confident in them, you're set. I usually buy my batteries from battery specialty places like IMR.
You are very helpful thank you again. i honestly think im going to try it out for the time being (check the attys ohms with the meter and on my mod before anything). but think i will invest in another battery, or try out some higher resistance coils. i agree, i would like a decent cushion. there are variables that arent always detectable and in the unregulated game it is so much better to be safer then sorry. what battery would you recommend specifically?

Reactions: Eskie

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Since OP is 18. I'm gonna guess High School.

Cheers
I
Sorry... I generally don't even look at peoples profiles. lol.

And you're going to feel silly if she's a physics prodigy who just got her Ph.D.
lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread