I want to rebuild the T atty coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
After one of my coils popped I have decided it would be nice to rebuild the coils on the T atty. Only one problem, I can't figure out how to get the things apart without damaging them. I did find this thread that seems promising, but I don't think this will work as the battery connector is way up inside the atomizer. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...60-3-74-801-atomizer-connector-extractor.html Does anyone know how to get these things apart to rebuild? I can already rebuild the wicks. If I can figure out how to get to the coil, I should be good on atties for a very long time.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Vicki over at Cignot has a wonderful u-tube video on just this very thing. She shows you how to do it step by step. So go over and check it out. After watching it if you have any future questions just e-mail her and I am sure she will answer any questions you may have. She is one great lady

I can't seem to find that. Is it on the Cignot site? You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

EDIT: I found the wick adjustment video, what I want to do is completly dismantle the things without damaging them in order to replace the heating element with some new nichrome wire. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-coil-101-actual-working-methods-only.html

Last edited:

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
Here's what you'll find inside
eGoT-Guts.jpg

The key to getting it apart without damage is to get the large base piece (second from the left) out of the cone. It is press fit into the cone.

I got this one apart by inserting a 1/4" nut driver in to the tank side and tapping the whole assembly out. There was minor damage, but I think it can be re-built. I just haven't had time to try.

If you can find a way to pull the unit apart rather than tap/press it out, it would be less damaging to the insides.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's exactly what I tried, only mine got really stuck on my 1/4 nut driver, and the thing was way to messed up to get together again. I noticed on the base piece that ring at the bottom comes off. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. I'm looking at this extractor idea, and it would require a long screw and a rather long nut. If I figure anything out, I will post it.

Aflatoxin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2011
Kansas City
I got mine apart. Instead of hammering using 1/4" driver bit, I used a metal rod (shaft) from a Kodak scanner. The same steel rod is found inside printers too. It's the rod that the scan, / print head slides on. If I had a pair of calipers I could tell u the size.
:unsure:

The cone (outer) shell got all dented up by the following methods, but I got it out!
I had the atty snugly grasped by vice-grips, then I got it slightly hot in a propane torch flame.
I made certain that I didn't over heat it. I would heat, then drop-pound, heat then drop pound it over and over so there is no need to over heat it.

Drop-pound:
While the atty is in the vice grips, and the rod up into the atty (atty on top of rod), I had one hand holding the vice grips and the other hand holding the rod (because it slides out easy). I heat the atty, then with little force (mostly gravity) I'd drop/pound the rod on the basement (hard surface) floor, thus knocking the atty assembly out more and more with each blow. Heating in between blows.
Each time I did this, the vice grips slid off. Thus scratching and gouging the cone badly. Next time things will go better, ...I hope.
:nun:
After enough of the atty shows, all you need to do is pull the rest out with pliers. Meaning you don't need the pound it to death.
:facepalm:

NOTE:
I also tried a wooden dowel (rod), and it was not hard enough. Maybe if it fit perfect, and it was short, it might work?
Also, the whole heating thing is a bit unproven. In theory the heat (rapid heating) expands the outside shell more then the inside, thus making the pressure fitting let go (release) a little bit. Who knows, throwing salt over your shoulder could be just as effective.
:p

I hope this helps someone.
I'm not the best at the art-of-explanation, so please pardon my attempt at instruction.
I'm hoping to master the eGo-T atty and re-wind new coils with 36.Ga nichrome, b/c these things are as pricey as a ....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread