I want to use my passthru in the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluezr1

Jun 23, 2009
I have looked all over the board for a car usb hub that I can use to power my manual passthru for long trips. Who knows what to buy please! I can find car chargers and usb chargers, but none will power the passthru.

I bought ming at bestbuy, it was like $25 and works great. Bought one at kmart for the wife, it works but not as well as the one from bestbuy. Would give you the name but there’s no name one it.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Car charger and cable kit to ease your iPhone 1st Gen use in car.
Output of Car charger is 1000mA.
For iPhone 3g iPhone 3gs.

Bear, I am kind of gadget dumb..is this equal to 5 volts? This is the product discription from the site you sent me to.
From what I found on-line, I need at least 5 volts to make the passthru work in the car. The Belkin and the Coby are 5 volt.
I searched this forum until I was blue in the face, I got a few answers by doing a google search..guess where it lead me? THIS forum! Now if we could on get our search engine to work on this site..for things IN this site!:rolleyes:
Thanks everyone!
MVS...you guys need to stock something like this! I love my passthru. or at least point us in the right direction for what we need.:thumbs:

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
Actually, that one is listed as 5 V, but I think the important part here is the fact that it is 1000 mA. That's where some of them fall short. Some are only 500 mA and aren't powerful enough. This one is a cheapo gadget, and I can't say how long it will last, but I did get one and test it momentarily to find that it will work. I haven't had the need to use it for any length of time yet, though.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I purchased one from an E-cig supplier... didn't work.

Went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought this one http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...o?itemid=96515&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Because I have a truck, I found I needed one that converts 12v to 5v and this one it works great (wish I would have bought 2, such a fun place to go to I will go back again and get another next time I stop in there). I think it was $4.95.

They also have a usb wall plug with universal adapters on their website, but I didn't spot it in the store when I was in there (didn't know they had them) so this is a great option for at home
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=65449

There are stores everywhere, you can search for your locations here
Store Hours

Zlo5

Jul 30, 2009
USA
I have an iPod/iPhone FM Transmitter that I bought off e-bay from a-depot that has a USB port on the side. Currently I use the USB to power my Garmin and don't have a passthrough, but can't wait to get one! This little device is awesome, works well and is less than $23. USB output is listed as 5V 1AMP. The only complaint I have with it is there's a bit of echo for people on the other end when I use speaker phone.

It can be found by searching e-bay for "FM TRANSMITTER FOR iPHONE 3G CAR CHARGER HANDS-FREE KIT"

and here is a current link for a listing--

Oops, can't post links yet -- it's tinyurl dot com / qvxzny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread