I was hoping someone could help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny

Jan 1, 2009
USA
What I'm wanting to do is make my own non-PG liquid. I know I will need VG but should it be food grade or pharmaceutical?

Also, would you recommend distilled water or alcohol? If alcohol, what kind?

As for flavoring, I'd like to use something I can pick up at the store when I get the VG. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I do not want nicotine so that's not an issue.

When I get all the ingredients, how much of each should I use?

Thanks to anyone who can help! :D

Danny

Jan 1, 2009
USA
VG it is recommended to use Food grade.

Check in here DIY e-liquid - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat you will find many posts about DIY liquid.

First of all, thanks for the reply... but... I posted this thread in that section....

I had been looking through this section for a long time and found a lot of posts that referred to my question but never any answers. That's why I started this thread. If there is an answer to my question in another thread that I somehow missed, please, post a link.

Keep in mind, I am a newbie at e-smoking and everything related to it. So I may have missed a legitimate answer because I didn't understand it entirely. If this is what happened then I apologize.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Nice, thanks Kate.

I can probably use that recipe you posted as a basis for how much of what to put in mine. :thumb:

Now I just need to find out what's safe to flavor it with and whats not. And I mean flavorings I can get at my local store as I would like to make my own (I'd feel a lot safer).

Hi Danny, I seem to recall someone mentioning to stay away from McCormic's as they use too much sugar. I (like you) had hoped to find flavorings locally, but haven't had much luck. I broke down and ordered Bickfords and Loranns online while I continued my search.

Hobby Lobby carries a limited selection of Lorann flavorings in their cake/candy section. You might also try any local specialty cake/candy making/decorating shops. I'd be wary of any flavoring that has too many "natural" flavorings as sugar and certain plant oils are considered "natual flavor". If you fall in love with a particular Lorann flavor, you can get it in bulk (4oz) from amazon.com.

Danny

Jan 1, 2009
USA
Sorry didn't notice it was posted in the DIY liquid forum. :oops:

I think I'm gonna have to reduce my nic intake.

lol no worries.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ripley and Nicowolf. I'm going to stop by walmart tomorrow and see what I can find. I'll let everyone know if my search is successful.

I don't know if I'll try the food coloring experiment though... Just exhaling a cloud of green smoke would be very disturbing! :D

Danny

Jan 1, 2009
USA
Ok. Just got back from Walmart. They had the LorAnn Flavoring! So I got some of that and I need to know if I got the right kind of glycerin.... It was the only kind that I could find in the store...

It was in the pharmacy section and it's called Glycerin Skin Protectant....
It says in the ingredients are:

GLycerin 99.5%
Anhydrous.............Skin Protectant

Is this the right stuff or no? Should I inhale it?

One more thing, can I use regular water or does it have to be distilled? If it does then why?

Oh, yeah! It also says on the bottle of the Glycerin... skin soak and aromatherapy bath... if that helps at all...

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Danny,

I saw similar glycerin in Rite Aid but was afraid to try it because it was a skin protectant. I then found some at Michael's craft store in the candy making aisle so I got that instead. I thought someone else here bought the one you mentioned. Don't know how that worked out though.

Those Lorann flavors....did you notice if they have coloring in the ingredients? I know Kate mentioned something before about inhaling coloring so I made sure I got the ones that didn't have it.

Distilled water....gallons at walmart, where the rest of the water is. You'll have more than you'll ever need!

Lu

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Yes, USP is as pure as you can get, that's fine to use.

I don't know how much oil would be in your peppermint, I usually avoid oils if I can. That's not always possible, there are trace amounts in a lot of flavours. Just be warned that there is a chance of it leaving residue on your atomiser and reducing performance. The health implications are unknown so be alert for signs of sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread