IBtanked or Ehpro Kafun 3.1? Decisions Decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Curious which would be a better investment this month? I know both are completely different animals. I have not used a carto tank yet, but have used a few cartos. They seem pretty good, and I enjoy them, but I enjoy the fill once a day nature of my PT2's with an aerobase. Yes I know, another completely different animal there. But they needed introduced to explain why a Kayfun. I currently rebuild my Kanger heads. I like it. Works good for me, so I am not trying to advance, or move on from what is working, rather just branch out to more hands on experience with different setups. I enjoy vaping as a hobby as well as the benefit of helping me quit smoking. I already have the tools/supplies for rebuilding, so that's not an issue either. The different builds available to try in the Kayfun appeal to me, but the vapor production and flavor of the carto's do as well. I am sure I will eventually end up with both, so it's a matter of which one first. Also, I have no plans to sub ohm, I have no plans for a mech either at this point. I currently rotate between a Vamo V5, and SVD, and a VTR. All, as you know, are VV/VW, safety built in, mods.

Side note: I selected the Ehpro over Hcigar or Tobeco based off of information seen here on ECF. The Ehpro seems to get more thumbs up then the others. I settled on IBtanked for the same reasons over say a SMOK or Boge tank. Additionally, I have a Nautilus and HATE it. That's an entire different thread though.

SpookyDriver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Crockett, Texas
I use both regularly. I generally prefer the Kayfun for flavor, though. Also, the micro coil setup lasts a LOT longer than a carto and I can change my cotton wicks quicker than punching/priming a carto and setting up the tank for a new flavor.

However, I find that refilling the carto tank is just a bit easier than refilling the 3.1, especially if you have a tank tool, like the "Slap Yo Momma" or similar tool from IBtanked. Just insert the tool, slide the tank up a bit, refill and slide the tank back down. 10 seconds and done.

I was using my Kayfun this morning. Just switched to my tank a few minutes ago. If the 3.1 is a "10" on the flavor scale, the tank is a "9". Hard to go wrong either way, in my opinion.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
Once you vape a nicely coiled & wicked KFL+, it will be very unlikely that you are going to enjoy a cartomizers/clearomizer anymore. If you are already good at wrapping your Protank coils, then you are going to find the KFL+ even easier, not to mention with a better payoff too. The other thing that irks me with a carto, you have to keep buying replacements, and your carto is really only going to be as good as what the manufacturer produces.

I personally never had issues with my Smok cartos, although some people have posted they received duds. Not often though, but nevertheless, I prefer something I have a bit more control over. Hope that helps!

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I love my eh pros.. I was about to buy a couple of originals, but decided to wait for kayfun 4's to come out and just get so more eh pros for now. Comes with a M-tank, and they work with nano tanks without getting a nano chimney. Only complaint I have about them is that many might have to mod it a bit for the airflow they want, but I loved the original lite's tight draw, and this is the only plus version I've found that imitates it. Only problems I've seen about them is that the center pin air hole might be blocked a little by derlin...easy fix.

I look at RBA's as investments. The IBTanked tanks are great investments, but you need to also consider the ~$2/carto you'd need, and I use some of the worst liquids you can put in a carto.. I typically have to change my wick in my kayfuns after a tank..which I usually fill up with 3mL. $6 for about a life supply of cotton + $10 for 100ft of my 26awg kanthal...and I'm in control. I've also had the same coils on two of my kayfuns for about 2 months.. I MIGHT change them this month.

Dual coils actually work well in RBA's too....

I have a ehpro kayfun. I love it. Not a single dry hit and ive even tried vaping it as hard as i can! On the other hand I also have 2 IBtanked tanks also. Its really gonna be a matter of what kind of carto you put in there. Ive had some sorry ones and had some great ones. All and all id say go with the kayfun. In my opinion the flavor from a kayfun is just a bit better, but not by too much.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Curious which would be a better investment this month? I know both are completely different animals. I have not used a carto tank yet, but have used a few cartos. They seem pretty good, and I enjoy them, but I enjoy the fill once a day nature of my PT2's with an aerobase. Yes I know, another completely different animal there. But they needed introduced to explain why a Kayfun. I currently rebuild my Kanger heads. I like it. Works good for me, so I am not trying to advance, or move on from what is working, rather just branch out to more hands on experience with different setups. I enjoy vaping as a hobby as well as the benefit of helping me quit smoking. I already have the tools/supplies for rebuilding, so that's not an issue either. The different builds available to try in the Kayfun appeal to me, but the vapor production and flavor of the carto's do as well. I am sure I will eventually end up with both, so it's a matter of which one first. Also, I have no plans to sub ohm, I have no plans for a mech either at this point. I currently rotate between a Vamo V5, and SVD, and a VTR. All, as you know, are VV/VW, safety built in, mods.

Side note: I selected the Ehpro over Hcigar or Tobeco based off of information seen here on ECF. The Ehpro seems to get more thumbs up then the others. I settled on IBtanked for the same reasons over say a SMOK or Boge tank. Additionally, I have a Nautilus and HATE it. That's an entire different thread though.

It really is subjective, as you already know.

As you also already said, they are two different animals.

I have 2 IBTanked carto tanks, and 1 EHPRO kayfun lite. You have good taste sir, as the IBTanked carto tanks and the EHpro are pretty much ALL I USE these days, and I've tried dozens of devices. I also use 2 iClear30 tanks, which I enjoy.

iClear30 - Strongest throathit / most nicotine production yet. I enjoy this beast the most for when I come home from work, or just wake up in the morning. My iClear30s require the LEAST amount of fuss, and produce the MOST amount of vapor/nicotine.

IBTanked carto tanks - produce great flavor, easy to set up, cartos last longer than coils in clearos. All around, the IBTanked carto tanks are the most WELL ROUNDED delivery device I've found to date. I think they should be a staple in any vapers arsenal.

EHpro kayfun - Newest addition to my hardware. I've only built 2 coils for it so far, both with 30g kanthal, and rolled cotton from cvs. The first coil sucked....the second coil, which I'm using right now, is 2.2ohm, and seems to be doing fairly well. I really can't rate this device until I get better at making coils.....because right now the kayfun is only performing average at best....but considering the raving reviews I see from EVERYONE here...I'm sure it is just an issue with my coil building. Who knows.

I would say get one ibtanked carto tank, and the ehpro kayfun lite clone. That will only run you slightly over $60 combined. Not bad considering they will probably be used by you on a daily basis, for years to come.

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
I have kayfuns, RDAs, carto tanks and clearomizers. The clearos I gave away in December and they were just returned to me yesterday (apparently the giftees discovered they like RBAs better).

I use my Kayfuns as primary tank devices and the cartotanks are backups in case my Kayfuns go down. The drippers are for playing with odd flavors, making fog banks and experimenting with coil builds. The Clearomizers are dust collectors, doomed to languish in the "mediocre-at-best" section of my personal vape museum.

Kayfun coils last a while... one of mine is 2 months old and runs great, even though I chain vape and go through 10+ ml of e-liquid per day. I change cotton wicks once a week. Cost of wire and cotton on a rebuild is about 4 cents. Flavor and throat hit are outstanding. Vapor production is decent but definitely less than my RDAs.

My carto tanks are for convenience, if the day comes when I don't want to bother with building coils or threading wick. Flavor, throat hit and vapor are all decent but not as good as my kayfuns and drippers. The big drawback is that cartos seem to last me about 2 days at my rate of e-liquid consumption... at $1.50 to $2.00 per carto. So, to me cartos offer great convenience and slightly lower performance than my RBAs... at significantly higher operating costs.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
If you already can build your own coils that you like then the Kayfun is a no brainer. It's even easier to build on the kayfun, I went from rebuilding my aerotank a bunch to find the right one for me then the kayfun has had 2 coils through it and I've already found my perfect setup. The only thing I could imagine doing next is a Dual nano coil or something Lol

Jarbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
New Jersey
Seems Kayfun is slightly edging the IBtanked. What is vapor production and juice consumption like on a Kayfun when compared to the pt2 with aerobase?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

more vapor and when i fill my kfl, it'll last 2 days at least. but that's with vaping my pt2/aero mongrels as well.

rith

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: We don't treat people this way here

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Removed quote of deleted post

Nope I haven't used one. Won't either. Thanks for trolling though. By the way, it's the fan boys like you that make me decide to never buy one of them, or a Provari. Being a "noob" has nothing to do with the equation. The fact that more then half the fan boys of each, always present themselves as douchebags accounts for 95% of my reasoning. Have nice evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
since your vamo, SVD and VTR are all 33 Hz PWM (i'm pretty sure), i'd suggest going with the kayfun. you can build it with thicker wire that resists the instant temperature change that produces the rattle snake effect. it was my carto tanks that (while performance and ease of use was out of this world) made me sick of my beloved vamo. i just couldn't take the constant pulsating hiss and the fact my tank tasted better on my wifes MVP 2.

though, i do love my ibtanked tanks. i have something like 9 of them. they're fantastic, functional works of simplicity in engineering and stand for untainted quality and performance.

forget the elitist snobism. don't let yourself lose out on a fantastic vaping experience. don't worry about safety too much. it's something that worried me profoundly considering my prior experience with lipo batteries through my RC hobby. dripping is a fantastic experience. it's completely able to be tailored to your preference. bottom feeding just makes dripping all day in any setting a reality that's not more effort than it's worth. when your battery is getting low, your vape changes and you'll likely just want a fresh cell. i recently made myself a battery checker and it turns out i swap my batteries on the reo at around 3.9 volts. that's just by taste and performance.

from how you describe yourself, you're a perfect candidate for a reo. i'm not saying GO GET ONE NOW - YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT - UR A NOOOOOBBBBB!!!! i'm saying don't let a bunch of tight wads ruin it for you by taking away something i think you'll greatly enjoy.

pace yourself. enjoy new gear and trying new things. get what tickles your fancy and what does it for you. i'll save you a seat at the table. but don't expect any beer to be waiting if you take too long. i'm patient, but i'm going to need something to drink from time to time and reserves are getting low.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Nope I haven't used one. Won't either. Thanks for trolling though. By the way, it's the fan boys like you that make me decide to never buy one of them, or a Provari. Being a "noob" has nothing to do with the equation. The fact that more then half the fan boys of each, always present themselves as douchebags accounts for 95% of my reasoning. Have nice evening.

Took the words out of my mouth. Hope the "troll" was being sarcastic.

BTW I have an Hcigar Kayfun 3.1ES clone and I love it. I purchased another one and am waiting for it to arrive in vape mail.

I SUCK at building coils, and could never properly coil a ProTank. I got an operating coil on my Kayfun on the second attempt, and the third one is even better. I'm not even micro coiling yet. I have a sensitivity to cotton that I discovered re-wicking a Pro Tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread