Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Hi all! So I recently switched over to cartotanks from kfl because I saw people raving about how fuss free it is. Fast forward, and it's been a couple of days with my XL 22mm IBTanked tank and the XL smok 2 hole pre-punched flanged carto.

Unfortunately for me, switching over has been anything but fuss free. My carto floods constantly whenever I lay my provari down, and well, it leaks like crazy from the 510 connection stem. Just wondering what exactly it is that I'm doing room. The fact that I'm using a very thick juice (30ml Boba's Bounty + 5 drops of distilled water) puzzles me even more. Any tip would be appreciated!

Oh also just more details. If I'm chain vaping on it, the cartotank works like a charm. VERY good wicking even on my BB, and it never floods nor leak. But once I set it down for more than 10 mins, I gotta spend the next 5 mins cleaning up the leak and flooding. The flooding's exclusively from the bottom of the 510 connection stem and nowhere else.

ALSO ALSO! any tips on resolving flooding would be awesome too. I've only used RBAs before, so my instinct was to flip it upside down, place a tissue at the stem and blow hard through the drip tip. I get tons of juice coming out, but it doesn't really seem to stop

Last edited:

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I've never, ever had one leak, even flying! Are you sure you've got all the right orings in place (particularly the one in the end caps)? I haven't used BB in mine yet, but I still don't think it would leak. Did you use the tool to insert the carto? Have you tried taking the carto out and putting it back in?

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hmm I'm using the tanks straight as it was delivered from Ibtanked. Checked the o rings and they seem right. The thing is the tanks are completely leak proof everywhere, and it only leaks like crazy from the carto's 510 connection stem.

I guess I'm
Gonna hafta try a new carto and see if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
I don't have much to offer but I vape BB strait out of the bottle into the cartotank but I do enlarge one of the pre punched holes a little but no flooding! Your Carl seems to be wicking well if you are chain vaping and not getting any dry hits. The only thing I would check is to be sure your carto is seated properly at the bottom of the tank, in other words, make sure the carto is not to far up into the tank. I would probably try another carto because leaking is not an issue I have had with smok, boge or Ike's cartos!! I'm sure we will get it figured it out or you! Hang tight!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That is weird - not typical at all. Has this happened with more than one carto?
My cartos-in-a-tank will leave a drop on the battery connector, but that's it.
Sure sounds like either
a) bad air leak somewhere - the tank should be "sealed" at the caps and the carto so it holds a little bit of vacuum...
or
b) defective carto - wicking in boba's only to pour it out the bottom...maybe there's not enough stuffing in there?

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Awww thanks for all the answers.

So my cartos are flanged, so def not an issue with it being too far up.

At this point it seems like either my carto's bad with insufficient filler, or the tank itself isn't airtight so it can't maintain a vacuum.

Hahaha how terribly frustrating. Grin

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Ah! So it seems like it was really just a bad carto! Loaded up a brand new one and it's officially leak free after 20 mins.

Anyways I use smoktech's single coil prepunched flanged cartos and IBTanked's carto tool for insertion. Very very handy tool

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Ah! So it seems like it was really just a bad carto! Loaded up a brand new one and it's officially leak free after 20 mins.

Anyways I use smoktech's single coil prepunched flanged cartos and IBTanked's carto tool for insertion. Very very handy tool

It might have had a small dent in the side or something you didn't notice that created a gap large enough to let liquid out.

Those are okay cartos - I use them myself when I don't have Ikenvapes - but they're fallible on occasion.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
I'm sitting here wondering why you switched from a KFL to a carto tank...kinda moving backwards but I enjoy both so who am I to judge :)

This might sound silly, but here goes: I adore boba's bounty and gorilla juice. Enough to wanna take shots and shots of them through my nostrils. (Except I have been holding myself back because the last thing I wanna do is die of nicotine poisoning and lend more ammo to the silly anti-vape crowd). I have 3 kfl+, 1 taifun GT and 2 R91. The problem is they're so good at intensifying flavors that the raisin profile in BB gets so extreme that I absolutely hate BB in them. Clearos actually does a fantastic job of muting the flavor such that I get mainly tobacco and graham crackers.

With a cartotank though... I'm not sure how to put it, but I think I get the purest flavor. I get all my graham crackers, tobacco and a hint of raisin. It s actually perfect. I've tried it with my other juices and it seems consistently so: very clean and pure. The way I see it clearos are kinda like the bass-focused earphones, the kayfuns are like some amplifiers on steroids particularly on the sharper notes, and cartotanks are like a clean audiophile full range headphone. Then again I'm completely new to cartotanks so that might not be accurate.

My only problem with cartos is the fact that they don't play well with full VG. Juices. And that makes me saaaaaad.

Edit: I also forgot to mention tht I have no clue how long each carto is supposed to last. Being the cheapo that I am, a $5 pack of organic cotton and $6.50 100ft kanthal wire from temco is enough to last me for a long long looooooooong time with RBAs. I actually find cartos to be comparatively waaaaaay more expensive at anywhere between $1.50 to $2 a pop. But that's just me; I'm cheap when it comes to things like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LoganCrane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
TEXAS BY GAWD
This might sound silly, but here goes: I adore boba's bounty and gorilla juice. Enough to wanna take shots and shots of them through my nostrils. (Except I have been holding myself back because the last thing I wanna do is die of nicotine poisoning and lend more ammo to the silly anti-vape crowd). I have 3 kfl+, 1 taifun GT and 2 R91. The problem is they're so good at intensifying flavors that the raisin profile in BB gets so extreme that I absolutely hate BB in them. Clearos actually does a fantastic job of muting the flavor such that I get mainly tobacco and graham crackers.

With a cartotank though... I'm not sure how to put it, but I think I get the purest flavor. I get all my graham crackers, tobacco and a hint of raisin. It s actually perfect. I've tried it with my other juices and it seems consistently so: very clean and pure. The way I see it clearos are kinda like the bass-focused earphones, the kayfuns are like some amplifiers on steroids particularly on the sharper notes, and cartotanks are like a clean audiophile full range headphone. Then again I'm completely new to cartotanks so that might not be accurate.

My only problem with cartos is the fact that they don't play well with full VG. Juices. And that makes me saaaaaad.

Edit: I also forgot to mention tht I have no clue how long each carto is supposed to last. Being the cheapo that I am, a $5 pack of organic cotton and $6.50 100ft kanthal wire from temco is enough to last me for a long long looooooooong time with RBAs. I actually find cartos to be comparatively waaaaaay more expensive at anywhere between $1.50 to $2 a pop. But that's just me; I'm cheap when it comes to things like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was using BB in a carto tank I was getting around a week per carto, on the high side. And a very good explanation by the way.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I also forgot to mention that I have no clue how long each carto is supposed to last. Being the cheapo that I am, a $5 pack of organic cotton and $6.50 100ft kanthal wire from temco is enough to last me for a long long looooooooong time with RBAs. I actually find cartos to be comparatively waaaaaay more expensive at anywhere between $1.50 to $2 a pop. But that's just me; I'm cheap when it comes to things like that.
Cartos should last the same as the replacement coils in a clearomizer: 2 - 3 weeks. But this varies greatly depending upon the e-liquid used. Dark and thicker (high Vg) juices will not last as long as a clear thinner juice used. Something like Boba's may last less than a full week due to the thickness, color, and particulate matter that's in this juice.

When people state how expensive cartos are ($1.50 - $2.00 each), I bring up that's still cheaper than the replacement coil heads that clearomizers use. Also, we once spent over $6 a day on cigarettes and thought nothing of it; getting 1 - 3 weeks on a $2 carto seems like a bargain to me.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Cartos should last the same as the replacement coils in a clearomizer: 2 - 3 weeks. But this varies greatly depending upon the e-liquid used. Dark and thicker (high Vg) juices will not last as long as a clear thinner juice used. Something like Boba's may last less than a full week due to the thickness, color, and particulate matter that's in this juice.

When people state how expensive cartos are ($1.50 - $2.00 each), I bring up that's still cheaper than the replacement coil heads that clearomizers use. Also, we once spent over $6 a day on cigarettes and thought nothing of it; getting 1 - 3 weeks on a $2 carto seems like a bargain to me.

Heh heh heh. i DID mention what a cheapo I am :D:D:D

I guess I've just been waaaay too spoiled by how cheap it is to rebuild my RBAs. Having said that I'm loving my cartotanks and have boxes of cartos on their way to me. Whoopwhoop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread