Iclear 30 rubber coil cap prone to burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
I picked up an Iclear 30, and an extra replacement head. Washed out the clearo, and replacement head, was swapping the replacement head out with the original, when I noticed the original coil rubber cap is scorched. The cap that goes on the top of the coil post is just rubber. no metal ring, no insert, just rubber. The rubber sits directly above the top coil. It doesn't/shouldn't touch the coil, but... now this rubber coil cap, is scorched, kinda burnt. didn't taste it burning, so that's good, but it still has me gunshy of the design flaw now. anybody else finding this problem out too? I started looking at my vivi rubber coil caps, and ce 4 rubber coil caps, they all have a metal insert that sits directly above the coil, I would think, for just that reason, without the metal, the rubber is directly exposed to the coil heat. innokin must have known this cap was going to get hot, or at least be exposed directly above a heating coil? or maybe they didn't? kind of a bummer, I am liking the extra wicking, and the dual coils, and larger capacity. also, don't know if it is the drip tip being metal, or the clearo itself or what, but I am also getting a slightly metallic taste on this clearo. another bummer. so now, I'm not wanting to taste metallic or worse, maybe, burnt rubber. anybody have a work around? I am going to try rigging it with an old vivi metal insert into the rubber coil cap. anybody done this yet? I am liking the concept more than the delivered device. bummer.

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
if anyone notices the rubber cap thing, or cares, you can take an old metal insert from either a ce4, or a nova, grind it down just a bit to fit the rubber coil cap on the iclear 30. works like a charm, no rubber to coil heat issues now. i wonder if innokin wants to buy a bunch of these from me at 3000% markup. lmao. they'll probably want sell me new "upgraded" heads to "fix" the design issue in these next month.

DaleC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Just setup my new iClear 30 tonight. I'm assuming from your post that you've ran it through at least one tank? When I opened my up from the nice plastic case it STUNK like the foam cutout it sat in. I had to run it under hot water and wash everything out nice and clean.

I did notice the rubber cap on the head not having any type of non-combustible seal around it. I can't compare it to anything but I will inspect it once I run a full tank through to see if it's getting scorched also.

The wicking and dual coil work amazing on my Provari (4.1V). This is a really nice clearomizer. I'm actually awaiting the Kanger Protank whenever they come back in stock AND ship to Canada.

I'll keep you updated on my iClear 30 rubber cap though within the next couple days.

Dale

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
it's not the smell I am talking about, it's the rubber cap that goes on the top of the post, directly above the coil. It's just rubber. CE4s, and vivi novas both have that rubber post cap, BUT, they both have metal inserts that go IN the rubber cap, to keep the heat off the rubber. i would have thought that was a no brainer, but not innokin apparently. without this metal, my rubber cap scorched/burnt. after about the 3rd tank, took the iclear apart to clean the coils, and the inside of the rubber cap was singed. I know I don't want to vape rubber. it's an easy fix if you have a vivi or ce4 around, their metal inserts can be modified to fix the iclear's issue. I won't use mine without the metal insert. maybe mine was the only one. doubt it, but, just fair warning. Edit: The other thing I noticed looking harder at this thing, they didn't bother to use a simple insulation band between the coil and the head body. could short out a little easier than vivi and ce4, they both have an insulation band of material between the coil and the body. par for the course I suppose.

Last edited:

DaleC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I gotcha. I have some on order and they'll be in next week so i'll make sure to modify them for the rubber end cap. Good to know. Aside from that, they made these things pretty cheaply. The threads upon closer look aren't the greatest molding. I'm also not much of a fan on the metal drip tip. You leave it for a few minutes and it feels cold and weird on my mouth :p. I'll be modding that soon enough.

All in all, I'm decently satisfied with it as it vapes like a champ due to the wicking. I'm getting a TON of vapor off this thing. I'm still willing to bet the Kanger protank will be worth the wait!

Dale

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
agreed. I love the concept. dual coils, more wicks, decent looking. I'm thinking that the rubber cap design thing and no insulation between the coil and the post are both big bummers in my book. But, both can be fixed DIY pretty easily. I would have much rather had a pyrex tank than the swivel tip, just my opinion. those couple things aside, I like it. I've heard many people that waited for the protank say that it, like most bottom coil clearos, gurgles and floods easily, messing with the wicks is manditory. I think this iclear 30 with a pyrex tank would have given the protank a run for the money. imo

Steaming EMT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New Jersey
Well I got today my Iclear 30 from westsidevapors.com as a replacement for another unit that came defective, as I opened and looked at it I notice the cap and I took it off since I had the same thought that it it would melt so I vaped on it ad it was awesome vape until I tilted to pick up something and I realized that I spill all the 3 ml on the floor that where it came to my mind that rubber piece if it should have stayed there. well I put it back and yes it vapes better with out it and it if you till it prevent some of the spill but not all of it so far i have vaped hard and not that i have noticed that it has melted or scorched on me but I will keep on eye on it.

any one has made a modification out of this and made a coil and wick with out buying new heads?

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
Well I got today my Iclear 30 from westsidevapors.com as a replacement for another unit that came defective, as I opened and looked at it I notice the cap and I took it off since I had the same thought that it it would melt so I vaped on it ad it was awesome vape until I tilted to pick up something and I realized that I spill all the 3 ml on the floor that where it came to my mind that rubber piece if it should have stayed there. well I put it back and yes it vapes better with out it and it if you till it prevent some of the spill but not all of it so far i have vaped hard and not that i have noticed that it has melted or scorched on me but I will keep on eye on it.

any one has made a modification out of this and made a coil and wick with out buying new heads?

sorry dude, you misunderstood me. I wasn't taking mine off and using it without the cap, I just copied what the CE4 and Nova designs did, I modded a CE4 metal insulation insert to fit IN the iclear30 rubber cap, and then put the cap back on. I now have a metal insulator insert IN the rubber cap, between the rubber and the coil. trust me here, convection works, heat rises, I don't want to vape rubber because of a Chinese profit margin. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread