ICR123 / 16340 cells. No more AW, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartham

Jun 27, 2014
USA
I've had my GLV-2 Super Mini for like.. 7 years? 6? I dunno, but after nearly 3 years of solid use, it's time to replace my batteries, again.

Turns out I discovered the AW plant is ruined, there are none on the market so I can't just replace like with like this time around.

Now what?

I've been doing some research, and I'm likely going to pull the trigger, but I've got some questions before I make a final call.

First, I see we don't call them 123s, anymore, we call them 16340s. OK. I can deal with that.

First off, it seems like "protected ICR" is no longer the way, now it's unprotected IMR. There's lots and lots of talk about protection in the mod, and I literally have no idea if my GLV has any electronic failure protection built in or not. I also see people talk about springs that are designed to melt, and well, dunno that either. I mean, this is like old school tech here, I have no idea if anyone thought about this back then or not.

This is a 3.7v device, uses a single 16340 cell. Previously, I've only used the black AW ICR123a batteries, recommended at purchase and rebought the last time I needed them.

So, does anyone know if should hunt down a protected cell or am I "safe" with unprotected IMRs?

I've been recommended Efest IMR 16340s, Keeppower ICR 16340s, AWT 16340s and Windyfire 16340s (which seem to be best, but I can only find from their Euro distributor). Does anyone have any suggestions on this, or opinion of any of the batteries above?

Not gonna lie, I have no interest in replacing the old girl with something newer. It still works like a champ, drops into my pocket, and is heavy enough to feel good without being giant. Equipped with an old Kanger Protank 2, it's served me well.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
I have a couple of TrustFire IMR16340 650mAh (lygte-info.dk review) cells and I am pretty happy with them:

TrustFire%20IMR16340%20650mAh%20(Red-gold)-Capacity.png

At 3A discharge rate their output voltage is still pretty high, they may do 4A but that hasn't been officially tested. Up to 10W I'd say. FastTech has 'em.

Saludos ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread