Idea/Concept for a Semi-Universal Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I have been thinking (I know, head for the bunkers). We play hell getting adapters to mod with. There are a kajillion (more than I care to count) models of PVs out there, and 1/4 kajillion different, non-interchangeable batteries and atomizers. Every time you buy a new model, you have to stock up on spare parts particular to that model because your old parts are not compatible with it. We need an adapter to fit the many different sizes and threads out there.

The pipe and the cigar are somewhat unique creatures, so I will set them aside for now (not negating, just procrastinating).

All the other atomizers out there have one thing in common, their basic wiring configuration. Center hole is postive and outer ring is negative. They fall into two basic categories. Female type atomizers like the DSE series, where the battery connector is male and the atomizer connector is female. Male type atomizers like the Joye 510/Dura and the EM901/KLR901. The primary difference within each category is the physical size and the threads.

The idea: An adapter that doesn't use threads and has a variable diameter for the negative connection. I would start by making a universal connector for the male type atomizers. I would have a center pin with positive power that the atomizer gently rests on. When the user positioned the atomizer above the pin, it would contact two to four levers, that as depressed, would send small finger-like projectiles towards the threads of the atomizer. These finger-like projectiles would carry the negative end of the circuit. I would use a small thumbscrew like a setscrew to secure the atomizer once the connection is made. For the female type atomizers, I would make a male to male type adapter that would fit into the above adapter, carry the positive connection through another center pin, and have finger-like projectiles pushing outwards towards the threads, carrying the negative end of the circuit.

I realize a picture is worth a thousand words. I am not very adept at drawing programs, but I will give it a shot over the weekend:rolleyes:.

I am putting this out there as a concept because this goes WAY beyond my capabilities and tool availability. I am hoping that it will inspire someone with more skill, better equipment, perhaps engineering knowledge to take on this project.

P.S. I am calling it "Semi-Universal" because it does still exclude the pipe and the cigar.

Last edited:

first2di3

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Oklahoma
Something like this, but reversed to spring outwards to hold the atomizer, with a center pin for the positive connection....?
640-641.jpg

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Something like this, but reversed to spring outwards to hold the atomizer, with a center pin for the positive connection....?
640-641.jpg

YESSSSSS!

The setup above is almost exactly what I envisioned for the male type attys, and the inverse for the female type. You rock! I have been racking my brain trying to think of an example of this already employed in the world. I knew it already existed somewhere, I just couldn't place where. Now that I see this, I remember the grabber tool my father had when I was a kid. It was spring loaded. He depressed a button with his thumb, and at the other end of a long tube, these teeny little fingers came out. When he let go of the button, the fingers would clench and retract as far as they could. Thank you, first2di, for taking the time to imagine what I was trying to describe.

first2di3

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Oklahoma
YESSSSSS!

The setup above is almost exactly what I envisioned for the male type attys, and the inverse for the female type. You rock! I have been racking my brain trying to think of an example of this already employed in the world. I knew it already existed somewhere, I just couldn't place where. Now that I see this, I remember the grabber tool my father had when I was a kid. It was spring loaded. He depressed a button with his thumb, and at the other end of a long tube, these teeny little fingers came out. When he let go of the button, the fingers would clench and retract as far as they could. Thank you, first2di3, for taking the time to imagine what I was trying to describe.

No Problem!

Now you have my gears spinning.... I'll have to get the damn hamster something to eat one of these days :p

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
No Problem!

Now you have my gears spinning.... I'll have to get the damn hamster something to eat one of these days :p

That hamster has been nibbling at my brain for a while now. This is the first I have been able to actually envision any solution to the 500 different adapters problem (possibly exaggerated number here, maybe it just feels like that many).

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Good thinking Nico!

That last picture: I have a long bendy one that used for grabbing things dropped into innaccesible holes.

An alternative architecture, that pales in relation to your original thinking, is to design a new standard fitting that sits in the middle (perhaps unisex like usb, plugs and sockets are same) and then have a box full of adaptors for anything else to that stadard. Anyone wanted to go with the standard would simply make the appropriate adaptor available.

Hmmm, your original idea is best ....

Might be tricky to get a reliably good and strong connection though - mechanically and electrically.

ps: whatever is doing something similar in his design perhaps

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Thanks, Kinabaloo and SurbitonPete. Your words of support mean a lot to me. I was nervous the idea would get poopooed. The response so far is encouraging.

a good thing Nico is to have the centre connection spring loaded with a light spring.....similar to the way light bulbs make a connection in a lamp holder.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
a good thing Nico is to have the centre connection spring loaded with a light spring.....similar to the way light bulbs make a connection in a lamp holder.

Wow, you are following my thought pattern quite well. I thought it might be nice to have an eject button that would unclench the little "fingers" and release a spring on the center connection that would pop the atty out - similar action to a toaster ejecting the bread, just with manual release rather than a release based on temperature.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Wow, you are following my thought pattern quite well. I thought it might be nice to have an eject button that would unclench the little "fingers" and release a spring on the center connection that would pop the atty out - similar action to a toaster ejecting the bread, just with manual release rather than a release based on temperature.

Thinking about that idea ....don't car cigarette lighters do something just like what you are thinking of?....I have never studied how those work........oh sorry it's the heat that makes it pop out similar to the toaster.

Last edited:

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
I had s similar idea a while back , but like you it was beyond my means to produce.

My idea was to have a sprung loaded center contact , small enough in diameter to fit most attys.
The outer connection I was thinking to accomodate the variating Diameters of atomizers was to use 4 or 5 sprung loaded ball bearings around the circumference of the atomizer.These ball bearing (tiny ones) would supply the negative connection. you just pushed the atomizer into the fitting and pulled it to remove it , a little like the single sprung loaded ball bearing on a socket wrench that holds the actual socket on.

edit : just to show my leet MSPaint skills , But u get the idea

f54fc0a9.jpg

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
How about the fittings on compressor hoses and airguns.The ones you pull back the ring and the airtool has a fitting that pushes in and the ring snaps aroung it.Neumatic style

I've often thought that would be a fun way to attach atomizers, but it could only fit one size per adapter (basically the problem we already have). It would really be nice if the manufacturers would quite doing the whole proprietary thread rig-up (like USB is USB on every computer, not just HP computers, but IBM and I think HP insisted upone proprietary components for a while too).

We know that we can go to the store and buy any brand of garden hose and it will fit our spigot - it is a standardized size and thread. The true problem is that each model has its own size and its own thread that we must match in order to mod it.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I had s similar idea a while back , but like you it was beyond my means to produce.

My idea was to have a sprung loaded center contact , small enough in diameter to fit most attys.
The outer connection I was thinking to accomodate the variating Diameters of atomizers was to use 4 or 5 sprung loaded ball bearings around the circumference of the atomizer.These ball bearing (tiny ones) would supply the negative connection. you just pushed the atomizer into the fitting and pulled it to remove it , a little like the single sprung loaded ball bearing on a socket wrench that holds the actual socket on.

edit : just to show my leet MSPaint skills , But u get the idea

f54fc0a9.jpg

Mr. Potstirrer Extraordinaire, our likemindedness is becoming a little disconcerting now. j/k Actually, I am flattered. I never saw this, but yeah great idea. If I were brand loyal, I would start sending these ideas to my fav manufacturer and hope that they would take them seriously. I did send my ideas for improvement to my fav shoe manufacturer, and a year later, I see some of those ideas implemented. I doubt I was the only one with those same ideas, but I do at least feel like they heard what I had to say and took it seriously. I am even more loyal to their brand now - they're almost perfect now BTW - at least IMHO.

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
my idea is to use a connector like on a drill,

you unscrew the chuck thingy, and as you unscrew,
the hole to receive the bit gets bigger,
you put in your attomizer
and screw back up to tighten and fit that size......

because the outer is a large over screw it would be secure.

make sense....... Unidapter ......
if you make one, I would love to have one.....

Di .......

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
my idea is to use a connector like on a drill,

you unscrew the chuck thingy, and as you unscrew,
the hole to receive the bit gets bigger,
you put in your attomizer
and screw back up to tighten and fit that size......

because the outer is a large over screw it would be secure.

make sense....... Unidapter ......
if you make one, I would love to have one.....

Di .......

I wish I could put into words how much I would love to be the one who made you the ultimate mod, Di. You are one very cool bad bunny. I even considered making a very special mod just for you, until I heard you at least got to beta test for someone much closer to home. I might still. I gotta find just the right mod body for yours, though. The skills and tools needed here are way beyond wee little me, but I hold out hope that somebody will see this who has the knowledge, tools, and skills to pull it off.

JayTheVapingGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ok... brain fart... hopefully we can understand what the mental image is....

i was reading all of this, and why don't we make a connector that will take any atty...

think of a funnel... the outer wall is wider at the top and smaller at the bottom... and slighly screw on...

could we not make an atomiser connector that has (at varying heights) the screws for each size of common atty? in the centre would be a spring loaded pole that would raise and lower based on which size atty you were screwing in...

For Example (ignore the periods, had to add them to make it take the shape i wanted)

|.....||.....| <--- Leo threading
.|....||....|. <--- 801 threading
..|...||...|.. <--- 510 threading

i understand you couldn't make it absolutely universal, but at least you could make it relatively universal...

then you could put that connector into your box mod and use any atty you wanted...

hell, if you really wanted to you could turn around and build the thing as above and make the bottom a 510/801/901/Leo connector

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread