If at first you don't succeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, I have decided to rewind the game and start fresh. If I had known 10 months ago what I know now the outcome would have been different. I simply waited too long to admit that it wasn't working and I just couldn't save it. As we have discussed at length several times, the lack of WTA is responsible for depression in some people. I am one of those people. I tried several methods to attempt to make up for my loss of WTA and the problem just got worse and I did end up with an OD of nic twice and still was losing ground to the problem. There seemed to be no way to save it, so I bailed out and pulled the rip cord.

Now I know that I am getting what I need and I have a stable and calm presence once again. So, what now? Now I will begin again, with my chemicals in balance. This time I will start with snus and slowly replace my WTA with the snus and gradually make the switch. This time watching for the tell-tale signs of slipage and OD. I'm not sure how much role the e-cig will play but I will definately lower the nic and just use it as the physical placebo it really is. I'll take it one step at a time, this time with my eyes wide open.

I don't think I wasted the last 10 months of my time. I have learned a lot more than I ever wanted to know about addiction to smoking. I hope I can take that knowledge and the other things that I know we will discover here in this forum and be successful this time. We are making very good progress here and have a lot of help from some truely bright individuals.

So here's to new beginnings...

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Song from a few years back a2d. Something to the effect of;
"every new beginning is some other new beginnings end"

Ya come out the other side breathing then the time spent is indeed not wasted.

Ready ta add snuff to the mix? :D

I don't know about the snuff stuff just yet OTD. At this point I'll just go with the snus and see how far that takes me.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Way back somewhere in the are we getting it thread I mentioned to OTD that for those of us self-medicating with smoking it may not be a good idea to be messing around to much with the purified type nicotine via e-liquid. The MOAI's in tobacco could very likely be as important or more so then the straight nicotine. At this point we really don't have any hard evidence for it but there's some good leads pointing in that direction.

For myself I started feeling off any time I used the PV. More wired up then relaxed. Needless to say It's been collecting dust for over 7 months. I'll give some advice that is regularly given over at the snuson forum, and that is just let it happen naturally. If you feel like having a smoke do it and don't worry about it. Snus has the goods but it may take some time to get used to the delivery method. I still miss the quick hit of a smoke at times. Nothing is going to equal that instant feedback within seconds. But I adjusted and most times I feel that the slow delivery of snus is better then cigarettes.

The only thing that has suffered a bit is my art (a hobby not a livelihood) Have a smoke and I was completely focused. Not quite that intensity with snus but when the dry winter weather here in WI gets better this spring I'm going to try doing more nasal snuff when I'm doing the art thing and see if that works better.

In the end snus will win. The smokes don't have a chance.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Way back somewhere in the are we getting it thread I mentioned to OTD that for those of us self-medicating with smoking it may not be a good idea to be messing around to much with the purified type nicotine via e-liquid. The MOAI's in tobacco could very likely be as important or more so then the straight nicotine. At this point we really don't have any hard evidence for it but there's some good leads pointing in that direction.

For myself I started feeling off any time I used the PV. More wired up then relaxed. Needless to say It's been collecting dust for over 7 months. I'll give some advice that is regularly given over at the snuson forum, and that is just let it happen naturally. If you feel like having a smoke do it and don't worry about it. Snus has the goods but it may take some time to get used to the delivery method. I still miss the quick hit of a smoke at times. Nothing is going to equal that instant feedback within seconds. But I adjusted and most times I feel that the slow delivery of snus is better then cigarettes.

The only thing that has suffered a bit is my art (a hobby not a livelihood) Have a smoke and I was completely focused. Not quite that intensity with snus but when the dry winter weather here in WI gets better this spring I'm going to try doing more nasal snuff when I'm doing the art thing and see if that works better.

In the end snus will win. The smokes don't have a chance.

Lots of agreement here Stubby. I am feeling like I used to feel now. I do a lot of high tech work and problem solving. My diagnostic abilities were always enhanced by smoking. I had more energy mentally and was not a big procrastinator, well not a big one anyway.

Going to try to keep my eye on the ball this time.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Time for an update. Plan B is working very well. Doing snus as the primary source and vaping as secondary. Snus is a lot easier to do on the run too.

Ordered my first nasal snuff today. That will be a new experience with that. That may be hard to do on the road but will see. I do a lot of driving in my job.

Things are looking good.

mwahle1

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL. USA
I just started using snus and it did give me that “relaxed” feeling I have not felt since I quit smoking. Vaping is definitely my main arsenal in my no-smoking tool box since I loved smoking; the hand-to-mouth movement, the feeling in my throat and lungs, the social aspect, and of course the nicotine. Vaping satisfies all these needs. However, the snus is definitely satisfying a desire that vaping cannot. Combining the two together, will give anybody the best chance of success.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
I just started using snus and it did give me that “relaxed” feeling I have not felt since I quit smoking. Vaping is definitely my main arsenal in my no-smoking tool box since I loved smoking; the hand-to-mouth movement, the feeling in my throat and lungs, the social aspect, and of course the nicotine. Vaping satisfies all these needs. However, the snus is definitely satisfying a desire that vaping cannot. Combining the two together, will give anybody the best chance of success.

I agree! Vaping alone didn't do it for me, so I added snus awhile ago, and I was set! Recently I got some snuff, which has been great.. I actually switched from snus to snuff + vaping and I think it's the perfect combination for me! SUCCESS!!!

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I got some Stonewalls last week, and I seem to be doing a lot better with the anaologs. I have been taking a lot of Imodium, though. Is that a common side effect?

Vaping put only a slight dent in my anaolg usage, but after four months. I wasn't anywhere near quitting. There were times I vaped so much that I got nicotine poisoning. So my problem definately wasn't nicotine.

My isssue could also be psychological. If I went for a day or so without any analogs, I'd get a pack and then suck half of them down in one sitting. If it was strictly chemical, one or two should have taken care of me.

I am currently researching herbal means of getting the MAOIs. I'm trying to find that cup of herbal tea to have with a vape to hit the spot.

I feel dumb - what is WTA? I've seen it a couple of times before and didn't ask.

~A

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
is this snus or snuff snorted???

Snus is usually referred to the Swedish form of snuff, snus is actually the Swedish name for snuff. This product is not nasal snuff. Most of the members here including myself use the snus that is packaged into small little bags called portions. They are simply placed between the gum and cheek and the saliva in your mouth activates it and you normally absorb it through the skin in your mouth. There is no excess juice formed that requires spitting in most cases.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Never dumb angelique. Specially around here! :)
WTA stands for Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. Term originated with DVap. Read about it in this blog entry.
Took me a few days before I knew what that was as well angelique.....even though I now know the definition...my understanding is still in doubt! Thanks for the blog link OTD...I will try educating myself this week!..LOL:)The Wiz!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
It took me many failed attempts to get off cigarettes, a2d. Many. A year before I finally quit, I tried with snus primarily. I made it 45 days, a miracle for me.

After going back to cigs, I kept using snus, added some regular Stonewall. On July 17, 2007, I did quit. I did so in disgust; I had just wasted two months on Chantix, which had only made me ill daily, but damned if I was going back after that ordeal.

Since then, I've added nasal snuff and regular Stonewall use. But I still need tobacco, even if I don't inhale it. So I puff a pipe several times a day. That provides a taste and aroma that nothing else does.

The e-cig is pretty much a placebo for me, too. I use it all the time, but also have a snus in place to deliver the goods. I am still not a happy camper. Make note of that. With all I do, I still want a cigarette every day, especially after I wake up or finish an evening meal. I always, always, pop a Stonewall at such times. I depend on Stonewall more than anything else.

We'll all find individual routes off cigarettes, if we succeed at all. I'm no longer young enough to pretend smoke isn't hurting my lungs. Of course it is. And my desire not to end life with plastic tubes stuck up each nostril keeps me from inhaling smoke any more.

Keep trying. If you can't quit, you might discover a healthier balance of smoked tobacco, snus, nasal snuff, and/or dissolvable tobacco.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Hi T Bob, been awhile!

In a poll I put up Twisted and I have taken to referring to those of us that need the additional smokeless products to stay off the smokes as "hard cases".

You sir, fit the description :D

You got my vote, TB :D. I vaguely remember referring to you as a walking, talking alkaloid....

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
It took me many failed attempts to get off cigarettes, a2d. Many. A year before I finally quit, I tried with snus primarily. I made it 45 days, a miracle for me.

After going back to cigs, I kept using snus, added some regular Stonewall. On July 17, 2007, I did quit. I did so in disgust; I had just wasted two months on Chantix, which had only made me ill daily, but damned if I was going back after that ordeal.

Since then, I've added nasal snuff and regular Stonewall use. But I still need tobacco, even if I don't inhale it. So I puff a pipe several times a day. That provides a taste and aroma that nothing else does.

The e-cig is pretty much a placebo for me, too. I use it all the time, but also have a snus in place to deliver the goods. I am still not a happy camper. Make note of that. With all I do, I still want a cigarette every day, especially after I wake up or finish an evening meal. I always, always, pop a Stonewall at such times. I depend on Stonewall more than anything else.

We'll all find individual routes off cigarettes, if we succeed at all. I'm no longer young enough to pretend smoke isn't hurting my lungs. Of course it is. And my desire not to end life with plastic tubes stuck up each nostril keeps me from inhaling smoke any more.

Keep trying. If you can't quit, you might discover a healthier balance of smoked tobacco, snus, nasal snuff, and/or dissolvable tobacco.
TB.....At least you can admit freely that you still have the urge for a cigarette without feeling embarrased!!I think this forum is loaded with "Closet Smokers" who pretend their not....when they actually are.Kudos to you for knowing(and admitting) your strengths and weaknesses.2 years plus is something to be proud of! :)The Wiz!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana

TB thanks for the candid insight and kind words. I am still having issues with depression. It seemed at first to be caused by the smoking cessation but I'm not sure now. Kind of a chicken and egg question now. I'm beginning to think that there is a conflict going on but not sure who's to blame. All I know is that the combination of causes isn't working well together. Hope I can find a brain drug peddler who's not more screwed up than I am. Don't laugh, I know of 2 who have been committed. I have to get this under control or I'll have to pull the plug. The wrong medication is sometimes worse than no medication.

sans pants

Jan 2, 2010
il
This thread is most interesting. I replaced my analogs with ecigs and my nicotine intake has skyrocketed. The act of "smoking" was still there, but it did not scratch the itch by a long shot.

I have been analog free for a tad short of a month, weeks two and three were horrible. Depression, impulse control issues, and a massive lack of patience.

I may give snuff a shot, but I am a little concerned about the potential health risks.

I know it is a bit odd, but in the short time I have been lurking and active on this board it seems to be a trend where ex-smokers, or at least aspiring ex-smokers, become hyper critical of potential health issues regarding their new hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread