If You DID NOT Go Cold Turkey How Many Per Day Did/Do You Smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Hi, if you're one of those that vape in order to cut down on cigarettes, or did/have NOT completely stop(ped) smoking 100%, OR, if quitting smoking was a gradual process for you, could you please post how many per day you smoke, or did smoke, and the context around this? Note that this applies to only AFTER you started vaping.

This is very much appreciated so THANKS in advance!!

Last edited:

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
I was the lucky one, it took me 2 days from starting vaping. It took my wife about 2 weeks she cut down in stages from around 15 a day to 0. I found an liquid i liked straight away she unfortunately didn't until I got a 'Grab Bag' from Vape Wild and fell in love with their spearmint.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
First month I smoked more than I vaped. When I heard about sub ohm and I ordered the STM; within a couple of using it I was down to half a pk a day. Couple weeks or so later I started leaving my cigs at home when away from the house and got down to a few a day. The last couple months before I quit smoking I just had that feet hit the floor wake up cig. All this took 5 months. Been 4-5 years since I started vaping, haven't had a smoke since that day I chose to not buy another pack.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'd changed from my regular smokes of 40 years, to the RYO ones (with pipe tobacco) for my last 2.5 years of smoking. I'd gotten down to about 1/2 pack a day of those when I got sick (bedridden) and felt so badly that I didn't smoke at all for 3 days. When I finally felt a little better...I got up, went in the living room, sat on the couch, and lit a cigarette. I thought I was going to hock up a lung I coughed so hard.

I right then decided I wanted to at least try vaping...to hopefully quit them altogether. I knew going Cold Turkey wouldn't work for me though, so I decided to do it gradually. I got a JoyeTech cigalike 510 starter kit and 4 little 10mL bottles of eliquids. I got 2 bottles at 6mg (for most times during the day) and 2 at 11mg (for first thing in the morning and after dinner).

The first week...I allowed myself 9 ciggies per day, while vaping at all other times. Second week, I could have 8 per day and was vaping more. Each week as I continued dropping how many I could have...I was enjoying the ciggies less, but the taste of my eliquids and the act of vaping, more. When I got down to 2 per day, I'd light each one, puff maybe 2-3 puffs off each, and then put them out. The last week, with 1 per day...I didn't really even want them. I'd light the 1 each morning while having my coffee...and it would basically sit there and burn down after my initial puff to get it burning. Smoking definitely didn't taste good at all any more. At the end of that week, I knew I was done with smoking for good. I was really loving vaping then. It took me almost 2 months, using my method, but I can honestly say that I've never had a single craving for a smoke since then. Even being around others who are smoking doesn't phase me 1 way or the other.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was a 40+ a day smoker.
My starter kit arrived at my office just before lunch on a Friday. I don't know how many I smoked that Friday, but I never finished the pack I opened late that morning.

Saturday I smoked 4. That was the day I found ECF and signed up.
Sunday I smoked 2.
Monday I smoked 1.
Tuesday I smoked 1.

Tuesday afternoon, I drove an hour through a snow storm to what was then the closest vape shop, where I bought some better gear and some juices that were higher in VG and weren't all tobacco flavored. And that was that.

The thing is, I hadn't intended to quit. I had only intended to see if vaping might help me cut back some.

The first thing I learned on ECF that Saturday, when I signed up was: Don't count the cigs you're smoking. Count the ones you're not smoking.

In the end though, everyone is different and needs to find their own path.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
Took me 5 days. First day 1/2 a pack. Second, third and fourth days 5 cigs. Fifth day 4 cigs. After that none. 1 month 3 days no cigs so far and I don’t see myself going back to smoking.

I smoked for 30 years. Last 5 or so I smoked 2 packs/day. I was a binge smoker and I’m a binge vaper so I got juice at 3mg. Probably go through 10-20ml/day depending on what I’m doing. Sometimes I top off or pour out a juice so it’s hard to tell.

Wasn’t intending to quit, but was getting tired of stinky hair. Also not a fan of palmetto bugs which come out at night and I started vaping one night so I didn’t have to go outside. I tried vaping before, but didn’t take to it. This time when I tried it I ended up kind of quitting by accident.

Last edited:

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Took me 5 days. First day 1/2 a pack. Second, third and fourth days 5 cigs. Fifth day 4 cigs. After that none. 1 month 3 days no cigs so far and I don’t see myself going back to smoking. I smoked for 30 years. Last 5 or so I smoked 2 packs/day. I was a binge smoker and I’m a binge vaper so I got juice at 3mg. Probably go through 10-20ml/day depending on what I’m doing. Sometimes I top off or pour out a juice so it’s hard to tell.
Good Post ~ what equipment do you use and brand of eLiquid?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Took 30 days, starting with a carton of Swisher Sweets Cherry cigars (20 per pack) of which I normally smoked 2 PAD. I didn't try to cut down, it just happened. On day 29 I had 1 smoke left and I smoked that on the morning of the 30th.
That was about 6 years 10 month and 19 days ago.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
Good Post ~ what equipment do you use and brand of eLiquid?

Vaporesso Swag with 6mg caramel pecan coffee (they make it at the vape shop) was what I started with, but somehow my equipment and juice collection have multiplied. Now I’m using an Aegis Legend (just got it), a voo poo drag mini, and a Nord with different juices all at 3mg. At the moment I’ve got Beard #5 in one, Bad Drip God Nectar in one, cornbread puddin (my fave) in one and Beard #32 In the Nord. I have loads of other juices because I’d google tasty juices and felt I needed to try them. All, but maybe 2 were pretty tasty.

I am not allowed to buy any more juice or equipment for a couple of months according to me.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I had cut down to 14 cigs a day and with vaping dropped rapidly to 7 a day. It took 2 months to drop to 6 a day and a total of 9 months for me to drop to a cig a week. I then continued to smoke a cig a month (as 3/4 a cig every 3 weeks) for almost 2 years. And yes I think even that small amount was helpful if not essential. To my system, purified nicotine was a not a sufficient replacement for whole tobacco, in fact I tended to find cigs to have too much nicotine. However the transition could have been shortened at least somewhat by a better vape and more knowledge. People saying it should be almost immediate was not helpful. Saying use more nicotine was not helpful and if followed would have resulted in going back to smoking.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I smoked 2 PAD (50 cigarettes - packs are usually 25 cigs here). I bought a carton just before my vape arrived, so I had about 7 1/2 packs left (that's 188 cigarettes). I didn't keep track of things, but instead of lasting 4 days, my carton lasted a week, and another week, and another week, and a couple days... As I worked my way through the last pack, I wondered what would happen if I didn't buy the next pack ahead of time and instead let myself run out, secure in the knowledge that I could pick up another pack any time I felt it necessary. I never have.

I guess my average during the dual-use period was about 7 or 8 cigarettes a day, but it really started higher and dropped off gradually.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
    I had cut down to 14 cigs a day and with vaping dropped rapidly to 7 a day. It took 2 months to drop to 6 a day and a total of 9 months for me to drop to a cig a week. I then continued to smoke a cig a month (as 3/4 a cig every 3 weeks) for almost 2 years. And yes I think even that small amount was helpful if not essential. To my system, purified nicotine was a not a sufficient replacement for whole tobacco, in fact I tended to find cigs to have too much nicotine. However the transition could have been shortened at least somewhat by a better vape and more knowledge. People saying it should be almost immediate was not helpful. Saying use more nicotine was not helpful and if followed would have resulted in going back to smoking.

I think the psychology behind smoking plays a factor in all of this too and is different for each individual. For me there was definitely an addiction to nicotine/cigarettes, but there was also an addiction to the routines or rituals - morning cig, after dinner cig, a bunch of cigs before work, etc.... I found the mental addiction harder to deal with than the switch to vape juice. After about a week I could deal with it without getting agitated, but every now and then I find myself reaching for a lighter in the morning even though I have no cigarettes to light.

Quitting is a personal thing and is a different experience for each one of us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread