If you have Comcast internet you can get Norton for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
I was the manager and lead tech at a computer business for 6 years, and Norton has worked well for me. If you have Comcast internet service you can get Norton Internet Security for free(legitimate, legal copy provided by Comcast), which is anti-virus and firewall software combined(and a few other goodies), just go to comcast.net and click the 'security' tab in the upper right hand corner and go from there. It's all quite easy to do. If you do not have Comcast and are pressed for cash AVG free is a descent way to go, but if you have the coin spring for the Norton, it's usually only $29-$39 for the software with 1 year of updates and well worth it. Good luck all and stay safe out there in cyberspace!

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Or you can download a Linux version for free and not worry about it anymore :)

Heck, the majority of "new" things in Windows is stolen from Mac/Linux anyway these days.

When I inherited this Toshiba notebook PC from my dad, it came with Window's Vista. Not wanting to deal with that B.S., I did a clean install of Linux Mint and it worked very well for the most part. My two biggest gripes with Linux on this machine were: (1) no sound from the onboard speakers nor thru the headphone jack, and (2) no function from the onboard Atheros wireless card. Ethernet connection worked great though, but that's what my desktop PC is for. I also didn't have the option of wireless internet service through any ISP's due to none of them supporting Linux systems. I searched online for solutions but none were available at the time.

Eventually, I was offered 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate (free and legal) and have been enormously satisfied.

I'm no Microsoft fanboi, and I really dig the idea of Linux, open source applications, etc., but I know next to nothing about programing, coding, etc. and had to go with the commercial product to meet my needs and wants.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
When I inherited this Toshiba notebook PC from my dad, it came with Window's Vista. Not wanting to deal with that B.S., I did a clean install of Linux Mint and it worked very well for the most part. My two biggest gripes with Linux on this machine were: (1) no sound from the onboard speakers nor thru the headphone jack, and (2) no function from the onboard Atheros wireless card. Ethernet connection worked great though, but that's what my desktop PC is for. I also didn't have the option of wireless internet service through any ISP's due to none of them supporting Linux systems. I searched online for solutions but none were available at the time.

Eventually, I was offered 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate (free and legal) and have been enormously satisfied.

I'm no Microsoft fanboi, and I really dig the idea of Linux, open source applications, etc., but I know next to nothing about programing, coding, etc. and had to go with the commercial product to meet my needs and wants.

I've ran into some of the same problems as you with certain distributions of Linux. I found one a couple of years back called PClinuxos that I still use to this day. It just seems to work great right out of the box 99% of the time. I don't even have a problem anymore with my onboard Atheros card.

I do understand about the wireless internet service. I've always managed to get mine working, but not without effort. I haven't tried an aircard with Linux in a couple of years though, so that problem may be resolved as well.

If you ever want to try it again, LiveCD's let you boot and use linux directly from a CD without any kind of installation and you can see how everything works. I always keep a CD handy for troubleshooting anyway, as they will at least allow me access to a hard drive in the event Windows fails.

While there will probably always be a few issues due to non support of manufacturers, Linux has come a long, long way.

BTW, I know nothing about programming/coding/etc either.

Anyway, I'm going to stop now since I'm hijacking this thread. My apologies to the OP. I was just having a little fun mixed with some truth on my first comment.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
I use Avast. I haven't had one single problem with malware,virus' or any of that nonsense since installing the free version a few years back.
It worked so well I bought it and installed it on both of our laptops.
I love it because I am pc illiterate and it still works for me!
C.B.
:evil:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Yeah, long ago I used to purchase Norton. That was before Comcast started providing McAfee. Since the McAfee was free and I was due another $100 update to Norton, I decided to give it a try. Wow, what a difference!

I hadn't realized before just how much of a resource hog Norton was. Now, Comcast has gone to Norton ... and, being the cheap guy I am, I have switched too. But ever since I did I've been having resource issues, even though I've turned off every background task I could identify except virus watching. I have an oldish box which didn't cost a lot to begin with. But it does most of what I want it to do, including HD Video editing.

A FORMER Norton fan and present reluctant user.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Yeah, long ago I used to purchase Norton. That was before Comcast started providing McAfee. Since the McAfee was free and I was due another $100 update to Norton, I decided to give it a try. Wow, what a difference!

I hadn't realized before just how much of a resource hog Norton was. Now, Comcast has gone to Norton ... and, being the cheap guy I am, I have switched too. But ever since I did I've been having resource issues, even though I've turned off every background task I could identify except virus watching. I have an oldish box which didn't cost a lot to begin with. But it does most of what I want it to do, including HD Video editing.

A FORMER Norton fan and present reluctant user.

My sentiments exactly. I used to like Norton, but now, when it starts to do it's thing, I might as well go have lunch or something. It fails for using photo editing, video, music, or drawing software. While it even updates, I can hardly do any work, and I'm not on some really wimpy system either.

I'm currently rethinking my entire computing experience.

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
My sentiments exactly. I used to like Norton, but now, when it starts to do it's thing, I might as well go have lunch or something. It fails for using photo editing, video, music, or drawing software. While it even updates, I can hardly do any work, and I'm not on some really wimpy system either.

I'm currently rethinking my entire computing experience.

Ditto on Norton. Slowed my system -- Windows 7. McAfee and other big names as well. I'm using windows native firewall, MSE and MBAM on demand. Subjectively, I sense a big improvement. For a browser -- Firefox with the no-script and McAfee Site Advisor add ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread