If you have issues with dry hits (Kayfun Lite)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Had several Kayfun Lite V2 clones, EHPRO etc. for a long time and always run into some-sort of "bad taste" issues.

A typical example would be that you puff 4-5 times, then the bad taste starts and you need to flood the chimney to get more liquid in, seeming that most Kayfuns with the smaller juice channels have an issue with not being able to "suck" juice fast enough.

Here is a solution:

1) Make a larger, like 2.4mm diam coil and space it out.
2) Cut your wick (cotton) only barely 1-2mm above the chimney. Not 1/4" or 1/2" like some say.
3) Use LESS cotton
4) After you stuffed your wick down the chimney on both sides, use a tiny screwdriver to press the wick inwards, away from the outside of the chimney ...so that the juice channels are open and no cotton is clogging them.
The key is really not clogging the sides with cotton where the channels are. (You know it works when you can shine a light from the side and you see the light from inside the chimney)

I KNOW, I must have read that many times already and this is old news, but it really works. No bad taste anymore, no need to flood the chimney after some hits. Might probably also work with more/thicker wick if you manage not to cover the holes, say, if you split the wick on both ends.

** A sign that the Kayfun is "stuffed" and you need to open the juice channels is if you puff and then you hear a sissling/sucking air sound for a second or so right after your puff. This means your Kayfun has troubles sucking enough juice. If you did it right, there should be no noise after you hit it.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Use MORE wick, not less. I'm not talking about wick length. I'm talking about wick width. Length should be just long enough to reach the deck floor.

Exactly! I call it the ledge but either term is fine :)

- Spaced or contacts coils make no difference
- An ID of 3 MM or even more works fine
- Yep, a ROUGH cut as stated by the OP above the chimney is fine. Think FLUFFY KGD. THEN remove the chimney and juice the wick and push it up against the side. I vape 50/50 juice via DIY. After juiced up, then a fine tune with sharp scissor cut so it just touches the ledge/floor. Watch the threads so your KGD is trimmed on the sides and only the sides so it doesn't get caught in the thread.
- Install chimney and depending on where your coil has landed you need to center it above the juice channels and sometimes push back ever so slightly with a flathead screw driver. Not to much or you constrict the wick.
- fire and watch
- Install chimney cap and a few pulls to verify

Works ever time for a long time. Using Kanthal + KGD no dry hits, funky/bad taste, or gurgling. Sometimes small dribble leaks from the 510 pin side of the base but that comes with the territory.

Good luck to all

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronze

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I never had wicking or dry hits with the EH Pro version Kayfun's , i use shorter wick lengths as i do not like them reaching all the way to the deck floor .

Both methods work fine , i do like larger diameter coils as the OP has said though and 28 gauge is my go to.

I also bought a few Monster V2 bases and "wow" , the Kayfun is so much better now.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Had several Kayfun Lite V2 clones, EHPRO etc. for a long time and always run into some-sort of "bad taste" issues.

A typical example would be that you puff 4-5 times, then the bad taste starts and you need to flood the chimney to get more liquid in, seeming that most Kayfuns with the smaller juice channels have an issue with not being able to "suck" juice fast enough.

Here is a solution:

1) Make a larger, like 2.4mm diam coil and space it out.
2) Cut your wick (cotton) only barely 1-2mm above the chimney. Not 1/4" or 1/2" like some say.
3) Use LESS cotton
4) After you stuffed your wick down the chimney on both sides, use a tiny screwdriver to press the wick inwards, away from the outside of the chimney ...so that the juice channels are open and no cotton is clogging them.
The key is really not clogging the sides with cotton where the channels are. (You know it works when you can shine a light from the side and you see the light from inside the chimney)

I KNOW, I must have read that many times already and this is old news, but it really works. No bad taste anymore, no need to flood the chimney after some hits. Might probably also work with more/thicker wick if you manage not to cover the holes, say, if you split the wick on both ends.

** A sign that the Kayfun is "stuffed" and you need to open the juice channels is if you puff and then you hear a sissling/sucking air sound for a second or so right after your puff. This means your Kayfun has troubles sucking enough juice. If you did it right, there should be no noise after you hit it.
I agree with everything you have mentioned except one. The end of the vaporization process imo is common and not a sign of being over stuffed. Actually I find it totally opposite to your statement. I have been listening to my rta's for years and find that if I can hear this sound, it's actually Normal, but the lenght of the sound can tell alot. Most don't even hear the sound but if you hold your drip tip to your ear immediately after you vape and listen very carefully in a quite room, you can hear the end of the vaporization process. It may be hardly noticeable, but it is there. Now my findings are that if you don't hear it at all, then you most likely have too much cotton thru your coil. If you hear the sound continue for quite a long time after releasing the fire button, then you have insufficient cotton. I find if the sound continues lightly for maybe 1 second after, then it's perfect. I originally came to these conclusions after rewicking of my kayfun a couple years ago, I kind of knew I under wicked it and instantly I heard the sound continue for a good bit after, after a few more vapes, I was getting dry hits. When I took out the old wick, it just slid right out and I knew there was not enough wicking material. From then on I always listen to my build and know immediately if I am under or over wicked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HootOwl

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I agree with everything you have mentioned except one. The end of the vaporization process imo is common and not a sign of being over stuffed. Actually I find it totally opposite to your statement. I have been listening to my rta's for years and find that if I can hear this sound, it's actually Normal, but the lenght of the sound can tell alot. Most don't even hear the sound but if you hold your drip tip to your ear immediately after you vape and listen very carefully in a quite room, you can hear the end of the vaporization process. It may be hardly noticeable, but it is there. Now my findings are that if you don't hear it at all, then you most likely have too much cotton thru your coil. If you hear the sound continue for quite a long time after releasing the fire button, then you have insufficient cotton. I find if the sound continues lightly for maybe 1 second after, then it's perfect. I originally came to these conclusions after rewicking of my kayfun a couple years ago, I kind of knew I under wicked it and instantly I heard the sound continue for a good bit after, after a few more vapes, I was getting dry hits. When I took out the old wick, it just slid right out and I knew there was not enough wicking material. From then on I always listen to my build and know immediately if I am under or over wicked.

You hear a VERY faint "sizzling" noise when you press your ear really close to the drip tip, you are correct.

But when it's wicked wrong, the sizzling noise is MUCH louder. (You don't hear it unless you put the drip tip to your ear). Usually when it's that loud, you know a dry-hit is coming and you would need to flood the chimney. (This is how I vaped for months, this is why the KFL drove me crazy...)

I agree with the others that now after several more experiments, you can also use MORE cotton. KEY is really to push away the cotton from the side juice channels. (You can also split the wick, or use double wick etc. and put one end to the left, one to the right. Important is that the juice channel in the middle is free)

I can chain vape now, even higher VG juices without a problem and I always got dry hits/bad taste before. It's really like a new device now, and SOOOOOO super simple, w/ a small screw driver.

Last edited:

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I also bought a few Monster V2 bases and "wow" , the Kayfun is so much better now.

How is their airflow? With the monster bases or Russian (never tried them) I am not sure whether they allow adjusting airflow down VERY tight, like I can do with the standard Kayfun. I am a MTL vaper and like airflow really tight.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You hear a VERY faint "sizzling" noise when you press your ear really close to the drip tip, you are correct.

But when it's wicked wrong, the sizzling noise is MUCH louder. (You don't hear it unless you put the drip tip to your ear). Usually when it's that loud, you know a dry-hit is coming and you would need to flood the chimney. (This is how I vaped for months, this is why the KFL drove me crazy...)

I agree with the others that now after several more experiments, you can also use MORE cotton.

I think your correct about keeping the cotton away from channels but it never was that much of an issue before the larger diameter coils and high vg juices. When I was vaping the kfl, most were using 2mm coils or less and thinner juices but with people now using 3mm coils, that adds a lot of cotton to the tails for sure . That, with thicker juices can reduce the juice flow if it's over the channels. Personally if I use anything over 2mm coils in any rta, I trim the tails slightly just because I think it's too much and the rta's weren't designed for that much to be put on the ledges. I think all the kayfuns up to the 4, we're really tested for silica, which has no bulk what so ever at the tails. I did a lot of testing with the kfl and found that the number 1 reason you could hear , what you call sizzle, (what I call just being able to hear the end if the vaporization process) is insufficient cotton in the coil itself. But like you said, it's how loud it is, if it's loud it bad but very faint it's normal

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
How is their airflow? With the monster bases or Russian (never tried them) I am not sure whether they allow adjusting airflow down VERY tight, like I can do with the standard Kayfun. I am a MTL vaper and like airflow really tight.

If you like really tight airflow you can forget it , stick with the standard bases , the Monster V2 really opens up the airflow considerably and no adjustment screw i can see .

javyn

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
houston
I actually had a BM store modify my air for me, as they have a drill press. I just had them widen the air hole on the base but leave the stem alone, which only slightly increased air flow. I just wanted a tad more air while still keeping it a tight MTL hitter.

With the Kayfun Monster V2 bases on FT, with stock air under the coil but huge air intakes on the base...I don't think I'll have to worry about modding on any more Kayfuns aside from grinding the juice channels, which is so easy even my dumbass can do it!

I'm not very good with my hands at all, but I had no probs grinding the channels. The trick is use a very liberal amount of high vg ejuice as lube or you'll have a big mess to deal with, not to mention the cheap bits I used couldn't stand up to trying it dry.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I actually had a BM store modify my air for me, as they have a drill press. I just had them widen the air hole on the base but leave the stem alone, which only slightly increased air flow. I just wanted a tad more air while still keeping it a tight MTL hitter.

With the Kayfun Monster V2 bases on FT, with stock air under the coil but huge air intakes on the base...I don't think I'll have to worry about modding on any more Kayfuns aside from grinding the juice channels, which is so easy even my dumbass can do it!

I'm not very good with my hands at all, but I had no probs grinding the channels. The trick is use a very liberal amount of high vg ejuice as lube or you'll have a big mess to deal with, not to mention the cheap bits I used couldn't stand up to trying it dry.
Yes I did the same on my kfl, and like you said , it only makes a slight difference.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yep, but for me that slight, probably 25% air flow increase was the difference between too tight and perfect!
It worked ok for a while and just couldn't vape it anymore. I haven't vaped the kfl for well over a year. I purchased the km3 about a month ago and imo, is the best kayfun to date. One con to some is the capacity, but I prefer smaller tanks so I find it ok. It has perfect airflow, juice flow adjustment and better flavor, besides being the easiest and less complicated kayfun ever.

Reactions: Exchaner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread