If you smoke outside leave your drink behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
I have just been reading our local paper, and i'm so mad:evil: two local pubs about 5 miles from where i live have been told that if customers wish to go outside ( I presume for a smoke) they cant take there drink outside with them.

I'm sick and tired of jumped up council squirts in there shirt and tie with there pen in there top pocket and writing board thinking there the law on smoking. perhaps they should have a better look at all the ... butts on our streets these days and get a broom and cart and do some real work for a change instead of making ou lives a misery.

We are having at least 1 pub a week close down in my area and what is still left open are empty or have no atmosphere

I could go on and on about this i;m so mad :evil: is this sort of thing going on in your area.:confused:

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
Yes, its been like that for a long time here. you arent allowed to drink on the street. I doubt anyone would leave a drink behind though, with all the stupid people in the world who would drop something in there. Just finish your drink, then go. :p

No wonder no one goes out any more it';s worse than when i was in school, i thought you went out to enjoy yourself not keep looking over your shoulder.

The next thing you wont be able to smoke in the fresh air

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's true. But in the U.S. only one in five adults smokes anything. I wish they were 35%! But talk about hating smokers! Smokers in the U.S. are an easy target, a powerless group -- at the ballot box and anywhere else.

And it's not even bans now that are the worst of it. It's governments needing money, being unable to increase property taxes or any tax held dear by the filthy rich, so tobacco is the obvious object of increased taxation. The price of cigarettes is just ludicrous and most of it is taxes.

Who cares? Smokers are powerless, remember. Too few, too weak, too fragmented.

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
It's not that smokers are powerless or weak as such, but it is because they are fragmented.

Little story, not related to smoking bans but is relevant in a way.

We live in a council housing estate. Not sure what you call it over there but basically, we rent our houses from the council.

We had the neighbours from hell in our street. The kids, ages ranging from 11 through to 17 wreaked havoc in our street. Old people were afraid to leave their homes, my neighbour, in her 80s was talking about going to live with her son (a very independent, lovely lady), peoples gardens were wrecked, cars, including mine were damaged. The mother of these kids did absolutely nothing to sort out her horrid offspring.

We all complained individually. We got nowhere. Now, it just so happens my elderly neighbour's son is a Barrister (Lawyer). He suggested that we form a residents association and work as a team rather than individuals. He also said he would take on any legal (court) work for us free gratis.

We worked together and a few months later that family were evicted for anti-social behaviour.

As individuals we were weak. As a group we became strong and formidable.

Smokers (be that smokers or users of the e-cig) can do the same, and indeed you now have a body in Winconsin:D

Rapid Response

I haven't fully read the website yet but will tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Could be the thing you need over there:thumb:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
i only guessed at the figures for the UK bob.. our government has been shafting smokers price wise for as long as i remember..

its like the global warming thing.. anything they can link to it they up the taxes.. gas prices here are beyond a joke.. given the coming economic meltdown things are gonna get bad..

trog

Last edited:

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
Gas prices are supposed to be going up by a whacking 70% this winter. How many people are going to die of hypothermia because of that? It really is obscene:mad:

As for the number of smokers in the UK Trog, I dispute the governments figures. They bandy the figure of 12 million smokers in the UK. I think the figure's a lot higher than that. Many people now buy their cigs on the black market or buy them abroad so that alone knocks the figures out.

The other way the government finds out about how many people reputedly smoke is via doctors and hospitals. Break a bone and the first thing you get asked is "Do you smoke and if so, how much?" Not "Ooh, that looks painful. How did you do that?" I know, that happened to me a few years back:rolleyes: A lot of people won't tell doctors now if they smoke because of the lecturing they get. Also a lot of people have stopped going to doctors (myself included), so the figures are just plucked out of the air.

In my workplace there are 35 staff. Of that only 3 don't smoke. Two are non-smokers who couldn't care less if people smoke or not and one rabid anti-smoker who everyone likes to wind up. Of my friends, only 3 don't smoke. In otherwords, from what I've seen (and this is based only on my opinion), if taken across the board, then the majority of people still smoke.

Anything our government says, I take with a large pinch of salt (and that goes for everything!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread