If you were @VaperCon monitor your Credit Card charges!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I just got a call from my CC fraud department. Someone has attempted to charge groceries and gas in SC while I live and am in Virginia :evil:

I was @ Vapercon, and it was suggested that a scanner got my card. Did not use it except to eat @Kitchen64, which is now suspect also. Regardless it was gotten somewhere in that area as I haven't used it otherwise in a bit, so check your accounts if you were even just carrying your CC with you!!!

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
If you have a card with a chip so that you do not have to swipe it just pass it in front of the scanner you should keep in in a metal case or wrap it in foil That will prevent them from using a hand scanner and using your card. If it happened on web site all you can do is report it and not use them again. I doubt it was a web site they have to much to lose. Just report it to your bank and they can sort it out. I would however refrain from accusations until you know for sure. Could be embarrassing. I once had a company I bought some software from renew my subscription without my permission. At least I don't think I did. Just making a point.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
No accusations here and concur with all. Mine was probably snagged @kitchen64 restaurant, as it does not have the chip and it was the only place it has been used in a month.... I used cash with the Vapercon vendors, but a lot of people that were at Vapercon also ate at Kitchen64 across the street from the hotel, so just trying to give a heads up to monitor your accounts to watch for unusual charges that your CC company may not catch.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
No accusations here and concur with all. Mine was probably snagged @kitchen64 restaurant, as it does not have the chip and it was the only place it has been used in a month.... I used cash with the Vapercon vendors, but a lot of people that were at Vapercon also ate at Kitchen64 across the street from the hotel, so just trying to give a heads up to monitor your accounts to watch for unusual charges that your CC company may not catch.

I hope the catch the bastage and string them up our let you at them with a broom handle. LOL

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
My how things have changed since the mid '70's. We used a little manual machine to print the cc # via carbon paper. Threw the carbon paper in the trash. Our dumpster was a gold mine. Bad checks got so bad we were told to get a cc # and SSN and drivers license # and put it on the back of the check. If it bounced we ran it on their credit card. I only remember one person complain.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I used my debit card for my hotel room, for one purchase at the event and at the convenience store across the street--I check my bank account daily so will be sure to check a couple of times a day. Strange the charge for my hotel was in "pending" yesterday but now its just gone?

You mean they comped you? Excellent.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If i counted the number of "big name" US companies who informed me that my information had been "hacked", it would curl your toes. Both online and in-store purchases. It's amazing how unsecure our infomation is.

When I moved to AR, it was common practice for the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to assign your SS# directly as your driver's license number, I was amazed. I requested a randomized number, but there are still a ton of people walking around with DL numbers that ARE their SS# LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread