Igo-w Dual Coil High (how to get 1.8-2.2 ohms while rocking 2 coils?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California
Just got my Igo-W and i'm loving it as a single coil dripper but i cann't seem to find a video to show me how to build an above sub ohm dual coil for this type of rba / RBD ... they're all sub ohms and my VAMO can't rock that.. neither ca my evic.. or MVP.

I do have a K100 on its way and an ITASTE 134 so i'm hoping i can get coils to fire on those. :oops:

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
If you want to do dual coils on a device like the vamo, it's best to aim for a resistance of around 1.5

Going into the 2+ ohm territory you are going to either have a LOT of wire, or super super thin wire (which means little surface area, less vapor and flavor)

So wrap a pair of 3ohm coils, and your total resistance will be 1.5

If you plan to use it in single-battery configuration 34 or 32 guage wire would be best.

If you plan to use dual 18350s and pump the power up 30 guage would work.

Also try to get your wraps as compressed as possible, this will dramatically lower heat-up time and give you a better vape, faster. Example of my most recent IgoW build:

Image1.jpg

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California
If you want to do dual coils on a device like the vamo, it's best to aim for a resistance of around 1.5

Going into the 2+ ohm territory you are going to either have a LOT of wire, or super super thin wire (which means little surface area, less vapor and flavor)

So wrap a pair of 3ohm coils, and your total resistance will be 1.5

If you plan to use it in single-battery configuration 34 or 32 guage wire would be best.

If you plan to use dual 18350s and pump the power up 30 guage would work.

Also try to get your wraps as compressed as possible, this will dramatically lower heat-up time and give you a better vape, faster. Example of my most recent IgoW build:

View attachment 278303

got both how many wrapps?? 8-9?? and do u hand wrap? cause thats some crazy close coils.. i need a vid of how u did that.. i usually stick the silica onto a nail then wrap around both.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Honestly I'm not the best person to ask on what resistance you'll get which higher gauge wire, as I pretty much only use 28 and 30 on occasion. It also greatly depends on the diameter of your wick/coil, as a larger diameter will require less wraps for the same resistance.

That build there is 28ga, each coil is 1ohm for a total resistance of .5ohm. Not really appropriate for a vamo, just used it as an example of compressed wrap coils.

The best way to get tight wraps is to wrap on a die or some sort, drill bit, small screwdriver, nail, etc. This way you can get perfect coils in both diameter and wire spacing. But doing this limits your wick options, or at least makes some options far more difficult. Using cotton wick it's incredibly easy to thread the cotton through the wick after the coils are mounted up.

Using silica is a bit more difficult, as it doesn't expand as much as cotton, and if it's small enough to pull through the coil, it's more likely it won't be tight enough to vape properly. If you work at it you can still thread silica through a coil right, it's just more difficult (at least for me) compared to cotton.

But if you do wrap free-hand you can still get very close wraps by holding a very thin needle inline with the wick, this will give you something stiff enough to get some good wraps going, and once the needle is removed it gives a bit of extra space to avoid choked wicks.

Either way, when wrapping, pull the wire down as if you are going to wrap it on top of the previous wrap, and once you get the hang of it the wrap will snap down tightly next to the previous wrap and you end up with nice tidy tight coils :)

The RBA section here will have a wealth of info as well, that's where the hardcore RBA junkies hang out ;)

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California
Honestly I'm not the best person to ask on what resistance you'll get which higher gauge wire, as I pretty much only use 28 and 30 on occasion. It also greatly depends on the diameter of your wick/coil, as a larger diameter will require less wraps for the same resistance.

That build there is 28ga, each coil is 1ohm for a total resistance of .5ohm. Not really appropriate for a vamo, just used it as an example of compressed wrap coils.

The best way to get tight wraps is to wrap on a die or some sort, drill bit, small screwdriver, nail, etc. This way you can get perfect coils in both diameter and wire spacing. But doing this limits your wick options, or at least makes some options far more difficult. Using cotton wick it's incredibly easy to thread the cotton through the wick after the coils are mounted up.

Using silica is a bit more difficult, as it doesn't expand as much as cotton, and if it's small enough to pull through the coil, it's more likely it won't be tight enough to vape properly. If you work at it you can still thread silica through a coil right, it's just more difficult (at least for me) compared to cotton.

But if you do wrap free-hand you can still get very close wraps by holding a very thin needle inline with the wick, this will give you something stiff enough to get some good wraps going, and once the needle is removed it gives a bit of extra space to avoid choked wicks.

Either way, when wrapping, pull the wire down as if you are going to wrap it on top of the previous wrap, and once you get the hang of it the wrap will snap down tightly next to the previous wrap and you end up with nice tidy tight coils :)

The RBA section here will have a wealth of info as well, that's where the hardcore RBA junkies hang out ;)

one quesion should i have the cotton wick on the drill bit itself ? cause i've seen some people build their coils first and i don't understand how they wick them.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
When using cotton, most people wrap and mount their coils, then thread the cotton through the wick. Sounds more difficult than it is, if you start with fluffy rolled cotton, you just use your thumb and index finger to roll one end into a fine point, which you can pass through the coil. There is a small learning curve with cotton, just as there is with any wick material, but to me cotton is the most hassle free and best tasting wick, regardless of juice.

If you want to use this same method with silica, it's a bit more difficult, but still doable. In my experience the most easy way to the thread silica through a coil is to use silica that is half the desired diameter of your coil. Then you can fold the silica over, and put a piece of wire through the loop, put the wire through your coil, and pull the silica inside the coil. You just have to make sure that the coil is the right diameter to comfortably fit a doubled over piece of whatever size silica you are using.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Here's a nice short video by Super_x_drifter that should help you get started with micro-coils. The video is specific to the RM2 but the same techniques work with most rebuildable drippers.

REO grand - Getting Started Tutorial - YouTube

Silica is a royal pain to get through a micro-coil (but it can be done). However, in order to achieve your ohm level you're going to need some thin wire and thin wire deforms very easily...it won't hold up to a lot of tugging. I highly recommend going the cotton route.

There is also some very good info here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...271-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th.html

I just did a quick experiment and nine or ten wraps of 32 awg on a 1/16" drill bit will net you about 3 ohms (depending on the length of your legs...longer legs = higher resistance).

Wicking with cotton is very easy. Just roll it up, cut off the end (to get rid of fuzzies), and push it through. You don't need a lot...about as much as you'd find on a Q-tip(tm). Sterile first-aid cotton is the best. Get the rolls as they're easier to pull wick from.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
i have 28 guage kanthal .. did i mess up when buying the spool v_v

If you ever go the mechanical route you'll be in good shape.:)

But yeah, you're going to find it difficult to get 3 ohms out of 28. And if you do...it's going to be very slow to heat. You may need to stick to single coils until you can get some 32.

If you're in the market for a cheap mechanical I recommend the Magneto. I have two that I use for experimenting with and they're both sporting IGO-Ws at the moment. I also recommend drilling out the air holes on the IGO-W to make them a little bigger. I didn't enjoy the stock holes so much. I like 1/16 but you may want to go smaller and work your way up.

gingersnaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
everywhere
IMO 28 is not the best for dual in standard ohms. it will take a lot of wraps. You might be able to pull it off using 1/8 drill bit to wrap it. Or just do a single coil.To small and it will take more wraps than its worth. I've only been doing rda a short while but I find if you need much more than 10 wraps it doesn't vape well.

Didnt notice ur trying for 3 ohm. I doubt you can get over 1.5-2 ohm using a bigger diam coil for dual.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Yup, eight or nine wraps is the rule of thumb for whatever resistance you're shooting for.

Just did another quick experiment...17 to 18 wraps of 28 awg to get 2 ohms. Extremely slow to heat even on my Provari at 5.5 volts.

So...even if you did get it to work the vape quality is going to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread