IJOY Capo Squonker Tastes Burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
So i just bought a vape for the first time after using my lady's here and there while. Against my better judgement, I went with a different type than here and got a squonker. It worked well for three days then I possibly burned my cotton and it immediately tasted very burned. Took the burned cotton out and replaced it with no change is the burned taste. Figured I burned the coil. So I just got a new coil and put it in. Aligned the vents, presoaked the coil (SRDA pre-built) as well as the cotton. Upon firing it, it immediately tasted like I inhaled over a menthol flavored bonfire and I thought I was dying nothing burned this time, but I still replaced the cotton, resoaked it, lived the coils multiple times, then after an hour, tried again. The smoke flavor has gone down, but it still tastes like smoke and doesn't taste like the flavor it should. I'm three days in on a 170 dollar set up and about the toss it and say screw it because I don't wanna pay alot more fixing something that doesn't make sense about why it's not working. Any care to help?

Attachments

• 153854026025962679728.jpg
    153854026025962679728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181003_063955.jpg
    20181003_063955.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Well, your 1st problem is you spent $170 on a $45 setup.
I'm using an iJoy Capo Squonker with an Omier VLS RDA.
Next, what wattage are you set at? Ohm of your coil?
What ever the wattage is, lower it.
You also need to rinse out your RDA, to include the cap, dry burn your coil and rinse it again, rewick it, do a good presoak, squonk it and vape.

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
You also need to rinse out your RDA, to include the cap, dry burn your coil and rinse it again, rewick it, do a good presoak, squonk it and vape.
Did you clean out the inside of the atty after you burned the cotton?
Did you clean out the inside of the atty after you burned the cotton?
What part exactly is the atomizer? This set up has the pre-built coil that I'm still using. I completely replaced the pre-built coil, would that be replacing the atty? These are the coils I use. If I'm not mistaken, the fatty is switched when I change the coil. Correct me if I'm wrong. I may not know exactly what the coil is. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181002-170717.jpg
    Screenshot_20181002-170717.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
You may not be using enough cotton either. Type of cotton can play a big factor in it as well.

Posting a picture of your current build would help us narrow down any obvious problems.
Posted a picture to the original now. Not sure if that's what you mean by build. Still learning the terminology. I'm using the amount of cotton that comes pre installed in the pre-built coil that I use

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Posted a picture to the original now. Not sure if that's what you mean by build. Still learning the terminology. I'm using the amount of cotton that comes pre installed in the pre-built coil that I use
Sorry, I should have been more clear. By build I ment the inside of the rda, your coils and wicking.

VapePro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2018
What part exactly is the atomizer? This set up has the pre-built coil that I'm still using. I completely replaced the pre-built coil, would that be replacing the atty? These are the coils I use. If I'm not mistaken, the fatty is switched when I change the coil. Correct me if I'm wrong. I may not know exactly what the coil is. Lol
WOW! didnt know that existed. MY GUESS is that they packed too much cotton in those coils. When you squonk its probably not really geting fed with juice except on the outer. Try pricking or fluffing the cotton. if you can bearly jam a needle through that cotton then there is too much .

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi Andrew,
What device did you use before the squonker?
What is the nicotine level of the juice you are using? What brand/flavour?

Perhaps you are not inhaling quickly and strongly enough for this type of device.
Does your technique match the strength and duration of that used in the video below @ (7min14sec)

HTH
I

• Useful

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
170 was after the whole setup, extra battery, a charger, coils, cotton, and 2 of the big juices

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
Hi Andrew,
What device did you use before the squonker?
What is the nicotine level of the juice you are using? What brand/flavour?

Perhaps you are not inhaling quickly and strongly enough for this type of device.
Does your technique match the strength and duration of that used in the video below @ (7min14sec)

HTH
I

This is my first device. 3mg nicotine. And it's a house juice / Strawberry. It worked well the first 3 days. Didn't have any problems. I inhale like he did as far as duration. Really paid for it when I put the new coil in. Felt like fire.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
As in the video Izan provided, your coils need to be positioned correctly, level & evenly spaced not touching any part of the atty except where the coil legs attach.
Always pulse fire coils before wicking to insure they glow evenly from inside outward. Strum & adjust coils as necessary to make them glow evenly & adjust coil position to make both level, uniform with each other & not touching any parts of the atty.
The coils should not be touching / resting on the white separator, anywhere.

When everything is in position as it should be it should look like the example in the video & the coils without wicking should glow evenly from inside out.
Then wick them, saturate cotton & try again.

From your picture - The level coil appears to be slightly over/too tightly wicked, the crooked coil appears to be too loosely / not enough wicking inside the coil and touching the separator at the bottom.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Your first problem is that you bought the worst squonker i know lol (won't get into much details but it's bad)
Next on your second picture, one of your coil is crooked,can't really say since we don't see much but i bet it's worth a check.
Finally reading the comments i noticed you said this is your first setup ? If so you're probably better off with a beginner setup as this is not really beginner friendly because of the Rda on top (or the atomiser if you prefer).

Andrew Furukawa

Oct 3, 2018
So i just bought a vape for the first time after using my lady's here and there while. Against my better judgement, I went with a different type than here and got a squonker. It worked well for three days then I possibly burned my cotton and it immediately tasted very burned. Took the burned cotton out and replaced it with no change is the burned taste. Figured I burned the coil. So I just got a new coil and put it in. Aligned the vents, presoaked the coil (SRDA pre-built) as well as the cotton. Upon firing it, it immediately tasted like I inhaled over a menthol flavored bonfire and I thought I was dying nothing burned this time, but I still replaced the cotton, resoaked it, lived the coils multiple times, then after an hour, tried again. The smoke flavor has gone down, but it still tastes like smoke and doesn't taste like the flavor it should. I'm three days in on a 170 dollar set up and about the toss it and say screw it because I don't wanna pay alot more fixing something that doesn't make sense about why it's not working. Any care to help?
So I figured out this issue with y'alls help. I then went to a shop and he tried it. Apparently I should shake my juice prior to filling my squonk. He was choking on it I replaced the coil the other day and it was burned bad and had pure menthol with little flavor. After the burn was cleaned, the strong menthol remained. I mistaked that for being the remnants of a burn. Also, when he dry fired the old coil, he said it wasn't evenly distributing the heat and had hot spots in the coil also, that something plastic was burning. But he showed me how to check the pre-built coil for hot spots and how to correct them. All in all, I'm back in business and got it working. Thanks for all the help everyone!! Lots of gained knowledge.

P.S. my tip came off and idk where it went, so I'm on my way to the beach without a tip. ‍♂️

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread