Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
The lavatubes are unique in that, unlike most things from China are actually improving with each new model.

Could it be that the Chinese companies producing these PV's are listening to the vaping public?
IMPOSSIBLE!
IMPROBABLE!

Now I know the build-quality more than likely won't change, but the features can and have. The newest lavatube, the VVV or Varitube X features a 4a limit up from a 2.5a limit from the original lavatube and the "new" chrome ones.

So in five years or hell, two years, what kind of lavatubes will we have? What features will be fixed or changed? Could they evolve to a point that they become the best midrange PV for the money? Are they already?

What do you think? How far do you think they'll go?

mikebabs

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
new jersey
The lavatubes are unique in that, unlike most things from China are actually improving with each new model.

Could it be that the Chinese companies producing these PV's are listening to the vaping public?
IMPOSSIBLE!
IMPROBABLE!

Now I know the build-quality more than likely won't change, but the features can and have. The newest lavatube, the VVV or Varitube X features a 4a limit up from a 2.5a limit from the original lavatube and the "new" chrome ones.

So in five years or hell, two years, what kind of lavatubes will we have? What features will be fixed or changed? Could they evolve to a point that they become the best midrange PV for the money? Are they already?

What do you think? How far do you think they'll go?

I think if the new ones can hold the voltage steady they might have a winner.....All these mods are nothing more than battery containers........Provari sales picked up considerably when the LT problems began to crop up.....I wish LT good luck.....Who wouldn't want to spend $70.00 bucks or less for a VV mod that works?

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I see your bet and raise you one Provari. In the long term quality and safety will prove to be the more efficient and cost effective factor. That is something that your overseas providers are lacking and frankly I don't see that changing for the better in the near future IMO...

Vape On!

I don't see the Provari and LT as being any sort of comparable in any way other than what they actually do. The price puts them way too far off from one-another. Not everyone is willing to pay that much for a device, which is why everyone and their mother isn't using a Provari.

Personally, I have held and used a Provari. It's nice, it works fine but it doesn't provide any sort of vape a Variable box mod can't. There are people out there, me included, who only care about the vape. If I can get a good vape that I enjoy and love out of any device, that device at that moment is my favorite device.

So far as the potential of the Lavatube family of mods is concerned, you don't know. I don't know. No one knows. I don't think the people making them know yet. Imagine what the DNA will do to the modding community once it is released. Suddenly everyone will be able to make Variable wattage mods for less than $50. Things are popping, man. Keep looking out for what's new. I know you spending $160 on a device makes you feel proud of it. I would be proud of it as well. It's a nice device, but don't count everyone out on surprising you.

All these mods are nothing more than battery containers...

I'm sorry but, no. I really did laugh when I read that. You think all of the mods currently within the realm of this discussion are nothing more than battery containers?

There's a lot of complicated circuitry to be said for the Provari, Buzz Pro and Lavatubes alike and even a hell of a lot more for the Kick, Darwin and DNA. Just calling them "battery containers" is simplifying something that is much more complex and has to be complex due to the functions of the mods themselves.

Last edited:

mikebabs

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
new jersey
I don't see the Provari and LT as being any sort of comparable in any way other than what they actually do. The price puts them way too far off from one-another. Not everyone is willing to pay that much for a device, which is why everyone and their mother isn't using a Provari.

Personally, I have held and used a Provari. It's nice, it works fine but it doesn't provide any sort of vape a Variable box mod can't. There are people out there, me included, who only care about the vape. If I can get a good vape that I enjoy and love out of any device, that device at that moment is my favorite device.

So far as the potential of the Lavatube family of mods is concerned, you don't know. I don't know. No one knows. I don't think the people making them know yet. Imagine what the DNA will do to the modding community once it is released. Suddenly everyone will be able to make Variable wattage mods for less than $50. Things are popping, man. Keep looking out for what's new. I know you spending $160 on a device makes you feel proud of it. I would be proud of it as well. It's a nice device, but don't count everyone out on surprising you.

I'm sorry but, no. I really did laugh when I read that. You think all of the mods currently within the realm of this discussion are nothing more than battery containers?

There's a lot of complicated circuitry to be said for the Provari, Buzz Pro and Lavatubes alike and even a hell of a lot more for the Kick, Darwin and DNA. Just calling them "battery containers" is simplifying something that is much more complex and has to be complex due to the functions of the mods themselves.

No man. I'm the one who laughed because you are "over complicating" the current set of mods.....Name me one item in the current circuitry that would be considered NEW?....And that includes ANY mod out there......You will not be able to do it....Its all OLD technology being recycled into a "battery container"....Stuff thats been around for years.....The only fancy thing going on here in this hobby is the MARKETING. Poor Sheeple.....

Last edited:

conan

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
USA
Things are popping, man. Keep looking out for what's new. I know you spending $160 on a device makes you feel proud of it. I would be proud of it as well. It's a nice device, but don't count everyone out on surprising you.

People do not just buy a provari because they like to spend a lot of money to feel proud. They want the best, and the Provari is certainly one of the very best. The lava tube brings the price, and the quality, down. I am glad that people like their Lava Tubes, but beginning, newer vapers should not be lead to think they are getting Provari's quality when they get LT's.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
No man. I'm the one who laughed because you are "over complicating" the current set of mods.....Name me one item in the current circuitry that would be considered NEW?....And that includes ANY mod out there......You will not be able to do it....Its all OLD technology being recycled into a "battery container"....Stuff thats been around for years.....The only fancy thing going on here in this hobby is the MARKETING. Poor Sheeple.....

Wattage regulation is new in application- but not in theory.

In fact- if you look through electronics technology in general, there are no examples of wattage regulation actually being used. It really only has application where a load changes in a circuit where the actual energy used remains the same. It has little application in real world electronics.

I suppose it could be used over long haul high tension wires to standardize the amount of energy delivered. Maybe it is. But it's not been implimented before in consumer electronics. Actually- I can't think of a single application where the load can change while demanding the same wattage.

So in that regard, what the Darwin, Kick, Evolv DNA, and the Opus do is *new*.

As a side note- I'm not a fan of wattage regulation. But that is a taste/utility issue.

mikebabs

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
new jersey
People do not just buy a provari because they like to spend a lot of money to feel proud. They want the best, and the Provari is certainly one of the very best. The lava tube brings the price, and the quality, down. I am glad that people like their Lava Tubes, but beginning, newer vapers should not be lead to think they are getting Provari's quality when they get LT's.

Very well said!!

mikebabs

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
new jersey
Wattage regulation is new in application- but not in theory.

In fact- if you look through electronics technology in general, there are no examples of wattage regulation actually being used. It really only has application where a load changes in a circuit where the actual energy used remains the same. It has little application in real world electronics.

I suppose it could be used over long haul high tension wires to standardize the amount of energy delivered. Maybe it is. But it's not been implimented before in consumer electronics. Actually- I can't think of a single application where the load can change while demanding the same wattage.

So in that regard, what the Darwin, Kick, Evolv DNA, and the Opus do is *new*.

As a side note- I'm not a fan of wattage regulation. But that is a taste/utility issue.

Dude, you are all twisted up....We are talking VOLTAGE REGULATION not wattage.....Voltage regulation is as OLD AS THE HILLS........

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL

This is an interesting point- to me at least.

If you blindfolded me and had me vape (without me feeling the device in my hand) any of the "regulated" mods at my preferred wattage, I'd never know the difference (Unless you can detect small changes in draw).

At the same time, I've owned 4 Lavatubes/rebrands and one Provari. I've got a Kick'd Empire and have used a Darwin for over a month.

Out of that bunch of mods- I expect to replace the Lavatube. And that's because out of all four LTs, they all had niggling issues whether cosmetic, electronic, or fit/finish issues.

I'm all for lower cost and good functionality. Chinese VV/Regulated mods fit that bill nicely. But companies like Provape or Evolv don't need to *lose* in order for lower cost solutions to win. They are simply a step up in the food chain.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I'm all for lower cost and good functionality. Chinese VV/Regulated mods fit that bill nicely. But companies like Provape or Evolv don't need to *lose* in order for lower cost solutions to win. They are simply a step up in the food chain.

This is one of my points. I'm not saying the LT's will ever be in any sort of quality league with the Provari. I'm just focusing on the features side of things.

I would like to think and I do believe that the LT's are getting better, because they are. There have been nothing but improvements done to the devices over the last few months with no steps back.

There are people who will probably never own a Provari, I'm one of them. They're nice and they're quality mods but I can't see spending $200 on a kit for something that can be outdated in two years, and is actually outdated now. Look at the DNA chip and imagine what sort of game it will play in mods and mod building over the next few months. You could see a variable wattage Provari or LT coming out within a year. There's no telling.

...I just can't wait to build a variable wattage box mod. :D

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
This is one of my points. I'm not saying the LT's will ever be in any sort of quality league with the Provari. I'm just focusing on the features side of things.

I would like to think and I do believe that the LT's are getting better, because they are. There have been nothing but improvements done to the devices over the last few months with no steps back.

There are people who will probably never own a Provari, I'm one of them. They're nice and they're quality mods but I can't see spending $200 on a kit for something that can be outdated in two years, and is actually outdated now. Look at the DNA chip and imagine what sort of game it will play in mods and mod building over the next few months. You could see a variable wattage Provari or LT coming out within a year. There's no telling.

...I just can't wait to build a variable wattage box mod. :D

Just as a quick sidetrack....

I agree with you in spirit. However variable wattage isn't the same game changer as the *regulated* nature of all of these mods. The LT and Provari both execute pretty well on non-dual coil setups.

That's my opinion, of course. It will be interesting to see how the market shakes out.

Cowboy Cru

Moved On
Mar 24, 2012
I have to appreciate that there is a variety in these things when it comes to cost. Rather Chinese or American or whatever. I believe they all have their place. I would love to have a Provari, but for now it just made more sense for me financially to own a LT. It gave me a chance to experience if I would even like VV or a bigger PV with out taking extra food off the table! Haha. I will never knock either one of these PV's. But I do think the LT's are getting way better. However, they may always stay a bit behind the competition if they keep their price low. If they don't, they may blow away the competition eventually. But then I think you'll pay more and it might then even out the game. All and all I believe we will be seeing price reductions across the board as these new PV's and all PV's gain in popularity. As we all know the more companies get in the game usually the cheaper the price becomes from competition. But, yes, I think the new LT's are way improved but it will remain to be seen as to where they go.

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
Hey doc, let me turn your question around-where do you see ProVari's in a few years? Are they going to evolve as well, or are they like, "This is it-it works, it sells, why mess with it?" I have a mini LT, and I think it's great, but I see a lot of room to grow as well; brings to mind the Ford Mustang vs. the Chevy Camaro; the Mustang is a success because it evolved and changed with the times while the designers listened to what the buyers wanted too; meanwhile Chevy tended to produce the same design of the Camaro (great car, don't get me wrong) year after year until they realized they were behind then had to scramble to play catch up in great, risky leaps.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Hey doc, let me turn your question around-where do you see ProVari's in a few years? Are they going to evolve as well, or are they like, "This is it-it works, it sells, why mess with it?" I have a mini LT, and I think it's great, but I see a lot of room to grow as well; brings to mind the Ford Mustang vs. the Chevy Camaro; the Mustang is a success because it evolved and changed with the times while the designers listened to what the buyers wanted too; meanwhile Chevy tended to produce the same design of the Camaro (great car, don't get me wrong) year after year until they realized they were behind then had to scramble to play catch up in great, risky leaps.

So that explains what happened between 1974 to 1993!!!!! Gotta love that "Mustang II".... That was one sexy looking car......roflmfao.......

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
So that explains what happened between 1974 to 1993!!!!! Gotta love that "Mustang II".... That was one sexy looking car......roflmfao.......

Lol, true not it's finest hour, but when Air Force pilots went into combat in Korea with WWII P-51 Mustangs, they were like; "Well, it is a Mustang"

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN

So uh........have you been around lately? The Provari did evolve just 3 or 4 months ago.......

The truly amazing thing is, if you bought a V1 Provari, lets say, a year ago, there is a damned good chance it still works, so for $20, you could have your V1 upgraded to the new ad improved V2.

Now if you bought a Lavatube, when they were first released, could you get it upgraded? Wait.......there's a pretty good chance its in a dump somewhere.

The LT is the best in its price range, if you want a VV device that will give you a good vape, and you don't have the cash to spend on the higher end APVs, the LT is perfect and will get the job done.

Personally I believe this is the chief reason why the LT will squash the VMax in the long run, unless smoktech wakes up and realizes that their crap isn't worth $128 and people know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread