Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Hey doc, let me turn your question around-where do you see ProVari's in a few years? Are they going to evolve as well, or are they like, "This is it-it works, it sells, why mess with it?" I have a mini LT, and I think it's great, but I see a lot of room to grow as well; brings to mind the Ford Mustang vs. the Chevy Camaro; the Mustang is a success because it evolved and changed with the times while the designers listened to what the buyers wanted too; meanwhile Chevy tended to produce the same design of the Camaro (great car, don't get me wrong) year after year until they realized they were behind then had to scramble to play catch up in great, risky leaps.

Of course they will, but I feel the LT PV's evolved more out of necessity due to flaws in the original design that weren't foreseen whereas the Provari was originally more strenuously tested on low resistance before it was released, hence its original amp limit.

Also, Chinese manufacturing tends to hit the ground running rather quickly. It's only been a few months since Volcano sold the first American-retailed Lavatubes and there have been many models produced since then. It would be a lot more money and cost for Provape to continuously produce new models based on consumer input, so I don't see their evolution running quite as quickly unless every upgrade is just the circuitry just like the V2.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
I keep saying this again and again. It's easy to call "chinese crap" (I even do it), but the Chinese also make iPhones, iPods, iPads, and just about every other high quality piece of electronics in your life. The entire reason the Chinese have a reputation for building crap is because they have been hired to build crap. What comes out of a Chinese factory is what is ordered. If they are contracted to build something for the cheapest possible price then it will be crap, but there are very capable manufacturers in China. I just helped a friend pick out a stereo for a new business he was opening. I speced out a pair of PSB Alpha B1 speakers. These speakers were designed in Canada, and built in China. They sound incredible. They're the best sub $1000 pair of speakers I've ever heard, and built right in China.

Having said all that, I would STILL rather spend more and buy American. I have nothing against the Chinese people, but I sleep better at night if I can help provide an American a job.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Also, Chinese manufacturing tends to hit the ground running rather quickly. It's only been a few months since Volcano sold the first American-retailed Lavatubes and there have been many models produced since then. It would be a lot more money and cost for Provape to continuously produce new models based on consumer input, so I don't see their evolution running quite as quickly unless every upgrade is just the circuitry just like the V2.

Provape, and most American manufacturers understand that if you build it right the fist time, there is no reason to need 10 different versions. People that go to the Chinese to manufacture want it cheap and fast. They can retool a factory very, very fast, so if their device flops, they can make changes or make another one very easily.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Provape, and most American manufacturers understand that if you build it right the fist time, there is no reason to need 10 different versions. People that go to the Chinese to manufacture want it cheap and fast. They can retool a factory very, very fast, so if their device flops, they can make changes or make another one very easily.

Considering that the only thing most people considered wrong with the original LT's was the amp limit, I would say they did pretty well right out of the gate.

Needless to say, I will eventually be buying a Provari if only just so that I own a Provari. I like the looks and I've heard nothing but good things about them and I think it would be a good mod to add to my VV arsenal.

I don't find any satisfaction or purpose in comparing two products made for two completely different markets, or developing malice for one because I use the other for whatever elitist purpose.

I just don't think the LT will get any worse but I do see room for it getting better, the companies producing the mods have proven that they are listening to the community and are answering the calls for improvements and changes based on user input.

Last edited:

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Considering that the only thing most people considered wrong with the original LT's was the amp limit, I would say they did pretty well right out of the gate.

Don't get me wrong Doc. I'm not an L-tube hater. In fact I have a version 1.5. It's better than I anticipated, but I still prefer American made mods. I have 4 VV mods, and a wood bottom feeder. 4 are American and I tend to prefer buying American when possible, even though they most certainly contain some Chinese made parts.

I'm also not necessarily trying to hack on Chinese manufactured goods. Please see my previous post. But the reality is when you are talking about Chinese manufacturing, and American manufacturing it is two completely different cultures. In China, the vast majority of manufacturing is contract work, while PV's made in the US are typically made by the same company that designs them. For that reason, I think there is typically more care put into the manufacture of American PVs.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Don't get me wrong Doc. I'm not an L-tube hater. In fact I have a version 1.5. It's better than I anticipated, but I still prefer American made mods. I have 4 VV mods, and a wood bottom feeder. 4 are American and I tend to prefer buying American when possible, even though they most certainly contain some Chinese made parts.

I'm also not necessarily trying to hack on Chinese manufactured goods. Please see my previous post. But the reality is when you are talking about Chinese manufacturing, and American manufacturing it is two completely different cultures. In China, the vast majority of manufacturing is contract work, while PV's made in the US are typically made by the same company that designs them. For that reason, I think there is typically more care put into the manufacture of American PVs.

Oh, I agree. American made is usually the better way to go, especially if you do have a particular hard-on for supporting American industry and job creation but that discussion would instead turn us to national morality via our purchases and would turn us away from discussing the PV's themselves as they are.

I tend not to take into consideration where or what processes went into producing a product when I'm using it for the first time as it creates a bias. If the LT was created in the states, I can't say how much difference it would've made other than the fact that the cost would be closer to a Buzz Pro and the threads would be better. Most circuitry and integrated chips are made overseas anyway so I don't see the quality of that changing much unless you're Evolv... who knows what weirdness they have up their sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread