I'm gonna give this DIY a try....a few questions first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbeat

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
Magnolia, TX, USA
I'm looking at the ejuice Recipe Calculator

1. Nicotine Base - is this the strength that I want to dilute?
  2. Water - do I want to add water? why?
  3. Flavor Percent - what's the "normal" percentage of flavor for most mixes?
Thanks!

I'll take a stab at some of these questions.

1. Yes. If you buy 36mg juice and want to cut it to 24, you'd list the 36 as the base and 24 as the target.

2. I have two items on my desk to cut the 36mg juice down with. One is glycerine and one is PG. The PG is a pretty thin substance and just doesn't need any water or alch to thin it out. The Glycerine is much thicker. Thinning it out with water or alch is a good idea. You really don't want the juice you actually use to be that thick.

3. From what I have read and tried, 20% flavor is, more often then not, right on target for a good tasting vapor. It's not set in stone though. Play with that one a little. :)

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I use 50% nic liquid (PG base unflavored), 30% VG and 20% flavoring. Some flavors are VERY strong (licorice is one of them), so I use less flavoring and more VG. Either way, its not too thick. When the atomizer heats the liquid up it does thin it out. Not to mention the VG makes fluffy clouds of vapor!

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I never had good success thinning with water. I try to shoot for a 50/50 mix with PG and VG. A lot of it depends on what unflavored nic juice you are starting out with. Some are a nice 50/50 blend to start with and others lean way to far on the PG side. There is no exact recipe because of this unless you use the same base all the time. I use a glass dropper bottle to mix mine. I put it on the side and slowly tilt it up and down. If the nic juice looks too watery then add a stronger blend of VG to it. After a while you will get the hang of this. It also depends on what you personally like. Some people like their juice to lean more to the PG side, others like more thick vapor and will have their juice lean more to the VG side. I suggest mixing in very small quantities at first and decide what you like. Same goes for the flavoring. A little goes a long way so start out conservatively with your flavorings. Good luck!

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I just mixed up a batch of 681ml 11mg nic juice for $93.00 from
6 bottles of 35ml (208ml) 36mg nic juice and a bottle of loranns 473ml glycerin
I have juice for days now :)
Of course after adding in the flavoring it will drop to around 10mg ejuice
Perfect for all day day vapping!

Now if you take the $93.00 + the $35.00 in flavoring it cost me $128.00. Now add the 72ml of flavoring to the 681ml of base, that is 753ml of ejuice! or 75 10ml ejuice bottles.
Current cost of 10ml ejuice is approx $10.00 with shipping. So my 10ml ejuice cost me $2.42 to make. $128.00 vs $750.00 now you know why DIY is cheaper!

I am waiting on my organic RYO tobbaco to show up so I can make my own nic juice. Cost 8.00 for 8oz of tobacco. We will see how this goes.
Dan

Cayman

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I just mixed up a batch of 681ml 11mg nic juice for $93.00 from
6 bottles of 35ml (208ml) 36mg nic juice and a bottle of loranns 473ml glycerin
I have juice for days now :)
Of course after adding in the flavoring it will drop to around 10mg ejuice
Perfect for all day day vapping!

Now if you take the $93.00 + the $35.00 in flavoring it cost me $128.00. Now add the 72ml of flavoring to the 681ml of base, that is 753ml of ejuice! or 75 10ml ejuice bottles.
Current cost of 10ml ejuice is approx $10.00 with shipping. So my 10ml ejuice cost me $2.42 to make. $128.00 vs $750.00 now you know why DIY is cheaper!

I am waiting on my organic RYO tobbaco to show up so I can make my own nic juice. Cost 8.00 for 8oz of tobacco. We will see how this goes.
Dan

Good point - but people need to remeber that the higher in mg strength you go, the more it is going to cost because the nic liquid is the most expensive part and higher mg will cause you to use more of it. :)

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Good point - but people need to remeber that the higher in mg strength you go, the more it is going to cost because the nic liquid is the most expensive part and higher mg will cause you to use more of it. :)

I would agree that if you want to cut it and maintain a high mg nic % then you will have to buy more nic juice to keep the nic % high. That is why I am waiting to for my organic RYO tobacco to come in and make my own nic juice. We will see how it goes.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread