I'm looking for a good pv that I can hold like a cigarette! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Hi credo!!! It's so nice to talk to you again! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me! You know, I've really heard so many good things about the Volt cartos so I'm going to start with them! I hope I like them! I bought 20 to go with the 20 little bottles of juices I bought to try! lol I think it's a brilliant idea to buy a 510 passthrough!!! I have 15 LR 2.0ohm Boge 510 cartos that I can't use!! That's amazing that the passthrough you showed me is 5v! Are they all 5v? I'm surprised and thought they would be 3.7v? Can you tell me the difference in vaping with 3.7v versus 5v? Thanks! :)

The Volt cartos will be very similar if not identical to other KR808 cartos ;) They probably have a little better quality control on the Volt ones though, so you're good to go :)

If you want to dabble in what many people call 'exotic' cartos (CE2, G4, Bud, Smokymizer, Vision, etc, you can do easily with the adapter I mentioned. You can also try the Boge or SmokeTech vertical coils if you like using such an adapter. Just remember to stick with single coil stuff, no lower than 2 Ohms, and no higher than 3 (higher would work, but barely). Remember, lower Ohms/Resistance gives you 'hotter/warmer' vape, which usually means more 'throat hit'.

Now on to the 5 volt pass-through. Hang back on this for now maybe. If you find the Volt by itself isn't quite enough to get you off the analogs, this is just something to think about maybe trying at some point.

5v vaping gives you alot more warmth and throat hit (depending on the carto). Since most KR808 cartos are going to chime in at around 3 Ohms, they usually work and perform very well at 5v! It's going to be a much warmer experience with plumes more vape.

You could also safely try the 2 Ohm or 2.5 Ohm Dual Coil cartomizers on it to see if you like them (the Passthrough...NOT the tiny batteries). Another neat thing about this, as cartos get older, they sometimes just don't work so well on your little battery anymore even though they will still fire up and produce a 'little vapor'. Move that same 808 carto to your passthrough, and you discover that you can get another few days out of it easily (If you refill it of course) ;)

Now, with straight USB pass-throughs like I linked earlier. These have NO battery in them at all. Cheaper models like the link I offered have no extra resisters or adjustments in them either. They will always be 5 volts (if your USB wall wart or computer is working properly) because that is what the USB power line carries. The USB standard can easily handle up to 2 amps unless your computer/laptop is REALLY OLD, so as long as you don't go below 2 Ohms on your cartos with it, you should be just fine. If you try dual coils on it, you might want to pick up a cheap wall wart that can handle more like 3 amps to be safe (you don't want to fry your computer's USB port...mind you newer computers should be fine, but some older one's can flake out if taxed too much), or at least experiment with a cheaper USB wall wart (like folks use to charge iPods and stuff).

My point on the USB Passthrough, is don't get too discouraged if you try some cartos that don't work with the Volt. I've a feeling you'll get around to using them in some form or another. If not, you can always swap them here in the PIF threads for new liquids to try or something :)

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
P.S.
I should have read better.
The 2 Ohm Boges on a 5v Passthrough would probably be a little too hot!

However, you can indeed use them on your Volt battery with that adapter I mentioned. That should be a very nice vape, particularly for your tobaccos, deserts, and really sweet flavors ;)

Citrus, fruits, and light fluffy delicate things may be a little better in your 808 cartos (actually it all should be good in them, but you'll see how some liquids like cooler temps and some hotter to bring out aspects of the flavors).

Now something like a good tirimisu is very complex, it's going to be very good, yet different at any temp. There are so many layers of flavor in tirimisu that it just might be a little different with every puff in 'any carto'. That's one of the things that VV users start to learn ;)

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
The Volt cartos will be very similar if not identical to other KR808 cartos ;) They probably have a little better quality control on the Volt ones though, so you're good to go :)

If you want to dabble in what many people call 'exotic' cartos (CE2, G4, Bud, Smokymizer, Vision, etc, you can do easily with the adapter I mentioned. You can also try the Boge or SmokeTech vertical coils if you like using such an adapter. Just remember to stick with single coil stuff, no lower than 2 Ohms, and no higher than 3 (higher would work, but barely). Remember, lower Ohms/Resistance gives you 'hotter/warmer' vape, which usually means more 'throat hit'.

Now on to the 5 volt pass-through. Hang back on this for now maybe. If you find the Volt by itself isn't quite enough to get you off the analogs, this is just something to think about maybe trying at some point.

5v vaping gives you alot more warmth and throat hit (depending on the carto). Since most KR808 cartos are going to chime in at around 3 Ohms, they usually work and perform very well at 5v! It's going to be a much warmer experience with plumes more vape.

You could also safely try the 2 Ohm or 2.5 Ohm Dual Coil cartomizers on it to see if you like them (the Passthrough...NOT the tiny batteries). Another neat thing about this, as cartos get older, they sometimes just don't work so well on your little battery anymore even though they will still fire up and produce a 'little vapor'. Move that same 808 carto to your passthrough, and you discover that you can get another few days out of it easily (If you refill it of course) ;)

Now, with straight USB pass-throughs like I linked earlier. These have NO battery in them at all. Cheaper models like the link I offered have no extra resisters or adjustments in them either. They will always be 5 volts (if your USB wall wart or computer is working properly) because that is what the USB power line carries. The USB standard can easily handle up to 2 amps unless your computer/laptop is REALLY OLD, so as long as you don't go below 2 Ohms on your cartos with it, you should be just fine. If you try dual coils on it, you might want to pick up a cheap wall wart that can handle more like 3 amps to be safe (you don't want to fry your computer's USB port...mind you newer computers should be fine, but some older one's can flake out if taxed too much), or at least experiment with a cheaper USB wall wart (like folks use to charge iPods and stuff).

My point on the USB Passthrough, is don't get too discouraged if you try some cartos that don't work with the Volt. I've a feeling you'll get around to using them in some form or another. If not, you can always swap them here in the PIF threads for new liquids to try or something :)

Thank you again my friend! You have so much information!!! I totally agree with you on holding back on a passthrough right now. I'm going to have my hands full with my new baby(my Volt!) :) How long have you been vaping? Does it cause you dry mouth? I;ve heard that, I haven't heard it much though. I've been smoking 2 packs a day for the past two months(which is insane because for the past 10 years it was one pack!) Anyway, my tongue has felt sooo dry and I'm drinking a lot of water and I want to blame it on the smoking but I just read that smoking doesn't cause dry mouth, only aggravates it. Two weeks ago I went on a new anti-depressant and it caused me Burning Mouth Syndrome severely and when i went off it and back on my old meds it went right away. maybe i'm having lingering effects from it? i don't know but i want it to go away and i don't want vaping to aggravate the situation. Sorry for going way off topic!

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
P.S.
I should have read better.
The 2 Ohm Boges on a 5v Passthrough would probably be a little too hot!

However, you can indeed use them on your Volt battery with that adapter I mentioned. That should be a very nice vape, particularly for your tobaccos, deserts, and really sweet flavors ;)

Citrus, fruits, and light fluffy delicate things may be a little better in your 808 cartos (actually it all should be good in them, but you'll see how some liquids like cooler temps and some hotter to bring out aspects of the flavors).

Now something like a good tirimisu is very complex, it's going to be very good, yet different at any temp. There are so many layers of flavor in tirimisu that it just might be a little different with every puff in 'any carto'. That's one of the things that VV users start to learn ;)

Hi!! How awesome that I can yuse my cartos with my Volt if I buy an adapter!!!!!! Can you recommend a place that I could get one? Maybe a link so I would get the right one! lol I spent $20.00 on them as a 15-pack and I can't return them because I opened one up to check it out!
That's so cool that you said it should be a nice vape for tobaccos, deserts, and really sweet flavors because that is the kind of stuff I think I'll like! :) Thank you again!!!!

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Thank you again my friend! You have so much information!!! I totally agree with you on holding back on a passthrough right now. I'm going to have my hands full with my new baby(my Volt!) :) How long have you been vaping? Does it cause you dry mouth? I;ve heard that, I haven't heard it much though. I've been smoking 2 packs a day for the past two months(which is insane because for the past 10 years it was one pack!) Anyway, my tongue has felt sooo dry and I'm drinking a lot of water and I want to blame it on the smoking but I just read that smoking doesn't cause dry mouth, only aggravates it. Two weeks ago I went on a new anti-depressant and it caused my burning mouth syndrome severely and when i went off it and back on my old meds it went right away. maybe i'm having lingering effects from it? i don't know but i want it to go away and i don't want vaping t aggravate this situation. Sorry for going way off topic!

Pretty close to a year for me now.

It wasn't much of a problem for me.
In fact I found more moisture returning to my mouth/lips/gums/etc after a couple of weeks of vaping (minus the real ciggies).

I did drink more water at first, but I think more of that was about my body adjusting and starting to heal up things that had never had a chance to heal due to the tar and abrasiveness of cigarettes! Your body is loving it, and wanting more fluids to start healing things that it never had a chance to take care of before ;) So it asks for more water.

Also, alot of the dry mouth sensation will depend on your liquid and nic level to be honest.
Nicotine has a kind of peppery flavor and sensation to it by itself...so higher nic levels may leave you a little more thirsty at first. In vaping, it's alot more about absorbing nicotine through your skin, where with cigs, tar makes it cling to your lungs and dose there (without the tar, you'd just blow it right back out and it wouldn't have time to absorb in true smoke form). Nicotine with vaping is more similar to using chew or snuff in how it gets into your body.

PG Liquids may feel a little more dry than VG ones, but they also tend to offer a little more kick in the back of the throat than the VG ones. For someone just kicking two packs a day full flavor analogs, the throat kick is probably going to be important to have!

Keep plenty of water at hand. Drink if you're thirsty.
Your body has a lot of healing to do and it will want water and vitimines and you might find yourself having an assortment of odd cravings (something salty, something sweet, metalic/acidic, etc...)

I know for a while there I could not get enough cinnamon and clove flavor (which is pretty acidic, spicy, and can make one quite thirsty). My body craved it! I vaped a strong cinnamon so much at first that my sinus bled once. All for the better though...I backed off the cinnamon and haven't really wanted it much since.

Things that taste good now will eventually not taste as good and vice verse.
Remember, as your body starts repairing the damage of smoking...it will ask for things it wants in the process :)

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Hi!! How awesome that I can yuse my cartos with my Volt if I buy an adapter!!!!!! Can you recommend a place that I could get one? Maybe a link so I would get the right one! lol I spent $20.00 on them as a 15-pack and I can't return them because I opened one up to check it out!
That's so cool that you said it should be a nice vape for tobaccos, deserts, and really sweet flavors because that is the kind of stuff I think I'll like! :) Thank you again!!!!

Sure thing, I'll just link it at a few different places so you have options. I like so many vendors because they all have slightly different things of interest that no one else carries, and different prices or shipping options/prices.

901 to [510] Adapter

901/808D Battery to 510 Atomizer adapter

808 to 510 adapter [gotvapes-808to510-adapter] - $3.99 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Battery / Atomizer Adapters

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Pretty close to a year for me now.

It wasn't much of a problem for me.
In fact I found more moisture returning to my mouth/lips/gums/etc after a couple of weeks of vaping (minus the real ciggies).

I did drink more water at first, but I think more of that was about my body adjusting and starting to heal up things that had never had a chance to heal due to the tar and abrasiveness of cigarettes! Your body is loving it, and wanting more fluids to start healing things that it never had a chance to take care of before ;) So it asks for more water.

Also, alot of the dry mouth sensation will depend on your liquid and nic level to be honest.
Nicotine has a kind of peppery flavor and sensation to it by itself...so higher nic levels may leave you a little more thirsty at first. In vaping, it's alot more about absorbing nicotine through your skin, where with cigs, tar makes it cling to your lungs and dose there (without the tar, you'd just blow it right back out and it wouldn't have time to absorb in true smoke form). Nicotine with vaping is more similar to using chew or snuff in how it gets into your body.

PG Liquids may feel a little more dry than VG ones, but they also tend to offer a little more kick in the back of the throat than the VG ones. For someone just kicking two packs a day full flavor analogs, the throat kick is probably going to be important to have!

Keep plenty of water at hand. Drink if you're thirsty.
Your body has a lot of healing to do and it will want water and vitimines and you might find yourself having an assortment of odd cravings (something salty, something sweet, metalic/acidic, etc...)

I know for a while there I could not get enough cinnamon and clove flavor (which is pretty acidic, spicy, and can make one quite thirsty). My body craved it! I vaped a strong cinnamon so much at first that my sinus bleed once. All for the better though...I backed off the cinnamon and haven't really wanted it much since.

Things that taste good now will eventually not taste as good and vice verse.
Remember, as your body starts repairing the damage of smoking...it will ask for things it wants in the process :)

You are a really kind person to take the time to tell me all that especially since I was so off topic! :) Thank you! I feel better now and have a good idea of what to expect! I hope every new vaper will read your post!!! I expect throat hit to be important to me too but we'll see! I think I mentioned before that I bought all 6mg nicotine juices except one 30ml 24 mg nicotine juice for emergencies! I am afraid that the 6mgs won't satisfy me at all. This may sound very silly, but some part of me actually thinks there is a chance that I will be fine with just the 6mg!!! That would be wonderful if it was true!!! We'll see! The reason I have that hope is because I think that a lot of my smoking is not for a need for nicotine a lot of the time, but just a hand to mouth habit! I mean, I'll smoke a cigarette and have one 15 minutes later! My body couldn't possibly need nicotine again that soon!

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Sure thing, I'll just link it at a few different places so you have options. I like so many vendors because they all have slightly different things of interest that no one else carries, and different prices or shipping options/prices.

901 to [510] Adapter

901/808D Battery to 510 Atomizer adapter

808 to 510 adapter [gotvapes-808to510-adapter] - $3.99 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Battery / Atomizer Adapters

Thank you so much!! I like using different vendors too! :) Please excuse my ignorance but how come the only adapter I think I need is not on the list? I thought I needed a 510 to 801 adapter so I could use my 510 Boge cartos on my 808 battery? Can you please explain why you chose the ones you did?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
You are a really kind person to take the time to tell me all that especially since I was so off topic! :) Thank you! I feel better now and have a good idea of what to expect! I hope every new vaper will read your post!!! I expect throat hit to be important to me too but we'll see! I think I mentioned before that I bought all 6mg nicotine juices except one 30ml 24 mg nicotine juice for emergencies! I am afraid that the 6mgs won't satisfy me at all. This may sound very silly, but some part of me actually thinks there is a chance that I will be fine with just the 6mg!!! That would be wonderful if it was true!!! We'll see! The reason I have that hope is because I think that a lot of my smoking is not for a need for nicotine a lot of the time, but just a hand to mouth habit! I mean, I'll smoke a cigarette and have one 15 minutes later! My body couldn't possibly need nicotine again that soon!

At first flavor probably won't matter a whole bunch. When your tastebuds return things will likely reverse...and flavor may well over-ride TH.

For nic....who knows really. Nic from vaping is absorbed differently from smoking. It effects everyone differently, and if you're also into lots of caffeine, or are on any medications, etc....all that has a lot to do with it as well.

When new I also started out with 6mg, 12mg, and 24mg.
I nursed on the 6mg and 12mg stuff like a pacifier.
I took the 24mg stuff to work...where I didn't feel comfortable vaping like a research monkey all the time.

These days I go 24mg all the time, but I don't think it as much of an 'addiction' anymore. I just like the drug. If someone gave me placebo cartos with no nic in them...I'm not sure how long it would take me to notice...oh well. Nicotine in this form should be no more 'harmful' to the body than caffeen. It may even be beneficial to some.

You'll sort it all out :) If the 24mg is too much, you can always cut it down later or swap it with someone :)

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Thank you so much!! I like using different vendors too! :) Please excuse my ignorance but how come the only adapter I think I need is not on the list? I thought I needed a 510 to 801 adapter so I could use my 510 Boge cartos on my 808 battery? Can you please explain why you chose the ones you did?

You want 808/901 to 510 like in those links.
The end that screws on your Volt battery is 808 female. The end that takes the 510 carto is also female.

The ones linked are what you'll need.
For the naming convention, they start with the battery connection, then carto connection, not the other way around.

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
At first flavor probably won't matter a whole bunch. When your tastebuds return things will likely reverse...and flavor may well over-ride TH.

For nic....who knows really. Nic from vaping is absorbed differently from smoking. It effects everyone differently, and if you're also into lots of caffeine, or are on any medications, etc....all that has a lot to do with it as well.

When new I also started out with 6mg, 12mg, and 24mg.
I nursed on the 6mg and 12mg stuff like a pacifier.
I took the 24mg stuff to work...where I didn't feel comfortable vaping like a research monkey all the time.

These days I go 24mg all the time, but I don't think it as much of an 'addiction' anymore. I just like the drug. If someone gave me placebo cartos with no nic in them...I'm not sure how long it would take me to notice...oh well. Nicotine in this form should be no more 'harmful' to the body than caffeen. It may even be beneficial to some.

You'll sort it all out :) If the 24mg is too much, you can always cut it down later or swap it with someone :)

Hi!!! That is so interesting that you think TH is most important in the beginning and flavor later! I absolutely believe that's true because if I was out of cigarettes and someone offered me a crappy one I would smoke it in a second regardless of the flavor! I wish I knew this before I spent so much money!!! I would have focused on throat hit and THEN on flavor! Well, you live and learn! lol Also, when my taste buds come back to better working order after I get off the cigarettes my tastes may totally change again about what I like right?! I hope I can salvage this situation!! lol

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
You want 808/901 to 510 like in those links.
The end that screws on your Volt battery is 808 female. The end that takes the 510 carto is also female.

The ones linked are what you'll need.
For the naming convention, they start with the battery connection, then carto connection, not the other way around.

Thank you! I'm bookmarking these!!!!!!!!! You saved me some work and mistakes and I appreciate it! :)

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Hi!!! That is so interesting that you think TH is most important in the beginning and flavor later! I absolutely believe that's true because if I was out of cigarettes and someone offered me a crappy one I would smoke it in a second regardless of the flavor! I wish I knew this before I spent so much money!!! I would have focused on throat hit and THEN on flavor! Well, you live and learn! lol Also, when my taste buds come back to better working order after I get off the cigarettes my tastes may totally change again about what I like right?! I hope I can salvage this situation!! lol

Don't worry...you're going to vape it all most likely, unless it just tastes nasty to you.
Then swap it in PIF (samples for samples) if you just hate it :)

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Don't worry...you're going to vape it all most likely, unless it just tastes nasty to you.
Then swap it in PIF (samples for samples) if you just hate it :)

Sounds good! :) I'm guessing that 901 and 808D have the same threads, that's why you can get a 901 to 510 adapter to use? I am so psyched that I can save my cartos!!! I know I've said it but thank you!

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Sounds good! :) I'm guessing that 901 and 808D have the same threads, that's why you can get a 901 to 510 adapter to use? I am so psyched that I can save my cartos!!! I know I've said it but thank you!

Yes, the 'threads' for 808 and 901 are exactly the same.
The differences lay in the way 'air flow' is done.

You can use any 901 stuff on the 808 battery no problem.

In reverse it doesn't work as well however. If you put a 808-D1 carto on a 901 battery it's gonna be bad...it'll screw on and fire, but it won't get air properly.

Most true 901 kits come with atomizers, which are good to have for your 808 kit for 'juice tasting...if you just want a few drops without loading an entire cartomizer'.

901 'cartomizers' are kind of rare these days. I think GreenSmokes uses them.

So in short, with your Volt battery you can do all 808-D1 AND 901 stuff.

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Yes, the 'threads' for 808 and 901 are exactly the same.
The differences lay in the way 'air flow' is done.

You can use any 901 stuff on the 808 battery no problem.

In reverse it doesn't work as well however. If you put a 808-D1 carto on a 901 battery it's gonna be bad...it'll screw on and fire, but it won't get air properly.

Thanks for explaining that!! I just bought my adapter!!!! I'm so happy!! I'm really trying not to waste money during the transition from smoking to vaping! Of course a little will be lost but I just saved $15.00!!! Thanks! :)

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
But...before you rush off and buy 901 atomizers consider:
With auto batteries, you need to be extra careful not to drip too much into them...it could get into your battery and short it.

Also, you can pull the stuffing out of one of your 808 cartos and make a little dripper for testing liquids ;)

OK! You don't have to worry about me buying 901 atomizers!!! I don't know how atomizers work or what dripping is and to tell you the truth, they intimidate me!
Have you heard about Smokeless Image's new batteries? They are 'drip resistant automatic batteries'. Here's a pic of the old style and the new style.*Click on pic for big picture sabattery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread