I'm not a PC, but I want one

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdg

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Eastern South Dakota
I'm a Mac user right now, and I can't say that I have any complaints. It's the last of the PowerBook G4s, 13 inch, a good-looking machine. It worked like a dream until I dropped it one-too-many times; now it's essentially a desktop. And it has been a couple of years since then, so I'm looking for something new--not necessarily as a replacement, but as a useful addition. Since my girlfriend and I both have working Macs, I think a PC is in order.
My query for you, oh great hivemind, is, what PC should I purchase?
I have only two nonnegotiable terms:

1. It MUST be cheap. I want to pay less than $400.
  2. It must be able to play Sims 3. The lady bought the MacBook that has the RAM soldered in place--apparently unmodifiable. "2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0, The latest version of DirectX 9.0c, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games" (Sims 3 web site).
Laptop or desktop is fine. No monitor or keyboard? That's fine, too. Any recommendations are appreciated!

heath

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
georgia
AN Acer Revo nettop with Nvidia's Ion graphics is only $199, but you'd need to upgrade the ram to 2gb and get an external dvd drive.. but that can be had cheap, and the Revo has a nice tiny desktop footprint and wireless wifi built in. You can even mount it to the back of your monitor. But maybe just grabbing an e-machine or something similar would be the way to go. walmart usually has a "big box" value system with everything in it that would work. My little girl plays the sims 3 on a 4 year old computer (was my gaming rig way back, but when the divorce came about i had to make sure my geeky baby was taken care of lol)..

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Anything with a brand name will do the trick! Only you and your family will know the computer that is right for you.

Watch out for those gotchas tho!!! Integrated graphics, Intel graphics or anything that doesn't have a slot to upgrade the card is not so good for playing nice with Sims 3! If you see the word Celeron on the computer don't go near it and ask for one with something better! Could someone help by explaining this bit better?

Now go find the cheapest, the one with the best screen, looks the best or has the most USB ports and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread