Status
Not open for further replies.

LV SuzyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
Hi everyone,

I have 26 hard to find in stock Ikenvape cartomizers. 20 are punch! (2 laser drilled holes) and 6 with no holes. Mega fusion 510 btw. So.. I prime one of the punched ones put it in my Ibtank fill my tank with some yummy HHV peach and OMG .. The skies opened up! I was in vaping heaven! Even started a nice thread about my face hurting cause I was smiling so much. Great clean flavor, terrific draw and tons of vapor! I thought .. Finally!! This is it! I was soooo happy. Well now after tossing the last 6 cartos.. I don't know how I did the first one perfect and can't do another one right! I'm doing it the same and they are all coming out instant burnt flavor!!! I'm so frustrated and in tears :(

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Primer is the clue Suzy, getting a carto properly primed is probably the single most important thing in setting up a carto either in or out of a tank. The filler needs to be saturated so that the coil has liquid touching it before giving it enough power to make it glow. A dry coil will glow red hot after a second or two of power where a wet coil will not because so much heat is transferred off converting the liquid to steam.

Some things to do, first check the voltage on your provari to make sure you have not turned it up when putting on a new carto. Next check the ohms of the new carto since you have a Provari, sometimes things can get mislabeled and a much lower ohm carto at the same voltage can easily taste burned.

Now turn the power down some from where you like to vape on a freshly filled properly primed carto, you can start all the way down at 3V just to get it going and make sure you have a wet coil. Take a draw or two without hitting the fire button to see if you can taste flavor, this is an indication though not a guarantee the coil is wet. Next do a very short, one second or less press of the fire button to see if you are getting flavor and vapor. Do this several times with some draws without hitting the button at all in between until you are getting flavorful vapor then start giving it longer times on the fire button and heating of the coil.

The whole idea here is to slowly break in the carto and get the liquid flowing good to the coil, once you have that going start bringing the voltage up to where you like it. If the taste gives a hint of burned or too hot for you then back it down just a little and try it there.

Hope you get it sorted, I saw your face hurts thread and it kind of made my face hurt too :D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm assuming you are using my method of carto prepping and filling a tank? If not, you can view it's steps in the link under my avatar. Is the polyfill totally saturated before you put the carto into the tank?

OCD brought up some fine points to check that I usually take for granted. +1 for those tips.

Having said that, don't give up. I had purchased a few of the Ikenvape 801 Fusion cartos before they became available in the 510-thread. I had to use a 510-to-801 adaptor to use them. I wanted to try these because they are Ikenvape's "flagship" carto, presumedly the premier cartomizer.

Well, the very first one that I tried I prepared it like I would the Platinum series. Right from the start, it was extremely harsh and burnt tasting - literally unvapable and I came to the conclusion that it was a bad cartomizer (it happens). The second one I tried, it worked fine and I could not tell any difference of its performance to that of my accustomed Platinums. Others since then have been equally fine.

I don't know if this information is of any help to you or not. If you're certain that you cartotank prepping is sound, it may be that the carto's themselves have an issue, although one of the reasons that I like Ikenvape carto's (at least with the Platinums) has been their consistancy carto to carto.

:unsure:

SPM3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
North Fort Myers, Florida
Hey there SuzyQ,

I am so sorry with the bad luck with the Ikenvape cartos :(
Don't give up on the cartos. Maybe you just happened to get a bad batch?(Iken-Gate?)

I know things can get frustrating. I got that way when my Vivi Nova started to leak from the connection point, and when I started out with cartos and was frying every other one.

I feel bad that so many of the cartos you had were bad, wish there was some way to revive them.
Hopefully soon you will turn that frown upside down, and your face will be hurting again with a big beautiful smile :D

LV SuzyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
Primer is the clue Suzy, getting a carto properly primed is probably the single most important thing in setting up a carto either in or out of a tank. The filler needs to be saturated so that the coil has liquid touching it before giving it enough power to make it glow. A dry coil will glow red hot after a second or two of power where a wet coil will not because so much heat is transferred off converting the liquid to steam.

Some things to do, first check the voltage on your provari to make sure you have not turned it up when putting on a new carto. Next check the ohms of the new carto since you have a Provari, sometimes things can get mislabeled and a much lower ohm carto at the same voltage can easily taste burned.

Now turn the power down some from where you like to vape on a freshly filled properly primed carto, you can start all the way down at 3V just to get it going and make sure you have a wet coil. Take a draw or two without hitting the fire button to see if you can taste flavor, this is an indication though not a guarantee the coil is wet. Next do a very short, one second or less press of the fire button to see if you are getting flavor and vapor. Do this several times with some draws without hitting the button at all in between until you are getting flavorful vapor then start giving it longer times on the fire button and heating of the coil.

The whole idea here is to slowly break in the carto and get the liquid flowing good to the coil, once you have that going start bringing the voltage up to where you like it. If the taste gives a hint of burned or too hot for you then back it down just a little and try it there.

Hope you get it sorted, I saw your face hurts thread and it kind of made my face hurt too :D

Ty OCD! Those are great pointers! I will try all of that :) I feel renewed already.

LV SuzyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
I'm assuming you are using my method of carto prepping and filling a tank? If not, you can view it's steps in the link under my avatar. Is the polyfill totally saturated before you put the carto into the tank?

OCD brought up some fine points to check that I usually take for granted. +1 for those tips.

Having said that, don't give up. I had purchased a few of the Ikenvape 801 Fusion cartos before they became available in the 510-thread. I had to use a 510-to-801 adaptor to use them. I wanted to try these because they are Ikenvape's "flagship" carto, presumedly the premier cartomizer.

Well, the very first one that I tried I prepared it like I would the Platinum series. Right from the start, it was extremely harsh and burnt tasting - literally unvapable and I came to the conclusion that it was a bad cartomizer (it happens). The second one I tried, it worked fine and I could not tell any difference of its performance to that of my accustomed Platinums. Others since then have been equally fine.

I don't know if this information is of any help to you or not. If you're certain that you cartotank prepping is sound, it may be that the carto's themselves have an issue, although one of the reasons that I like Ikenvape carto's (at least with the Platinums) has been their consistancy carto to carto.

:unsure:

I am prepping them correctly and they are completely saturated.. I'm going to try OCD's tips .. Hopefully it will work. :)

LV SuzyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey there SuzyQ,

I am so sorry with the bad luck with the Ikenvape cartos :(
Don't give up on the cartos. Maybe you just happened to get a bad batch?(Iken-Gate?)

I know things can get frustrating. I got that way when my Vivi Nova started to leak from the connection point, and when I started out with cartos and was frying every other one.

I feel bad that so many of the cartos you had were bad, wish there was some way to revive them.
Hopefully soon you will turn that frown upside down, and your face will be hurting again with a big beautiful smile :D

Ty SMP3! I hope so too.. It's just so frustrating sometimes.. I'm like its not supposed to be this hard!

wwaaazzup

Moved On
Dec 1, 2012
Ocd and everyone above is spot on. Also I've got a couple of those bogus boge cartos and did everything everyone suggested here but went one step further... I filled and let it soak in then filled and let it soak in and had to repeat a bunch of times. I think boge put too much filler in there because I could always tell which ones were going to give me a hard time because it wouldn't absorb the juice as easily as the rest of them. That's just my 2 cents. Sometimes it would take me a good bit of time before I could get one of those things filled and primed properly. Anyway, good luck and happy vaping!

LV SuzyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
Ocd and everyone above is spot on. Also I've got a couple of those bogus boge cartos and did everything everyone suggested here but went one step further... I filled and let it soak in then filled and let it soak in and had to repeat a bunch of times. I think boge put too much filler in there because I could always tell which ones were going to give me a hard time because it wouldn't absorb the juice as easily as the rest of them. That's just my 2 cents. Sometimes it would take me a good bit of time before I could get one of those things filled and primed properly. Anyway, good luck and happy vaping!

I think you may have something there.. I filled and let it soak .. I filled and let it soak .. Maybe it had too much filler .. It wasn't absorbing so well. Good two cents. Ty :)

wwaaazzup

Moved On
Dec 1, 2012
It was weired, sometimes I'd try to fill one and the juice would take like 5 minutes to soak in and I was having to put like ten drops in at a time and then wait ten minutes for it to soak in. Then I'd have to keep doing that till it wouldn't take anymore. Sometimes like 45 minutes to fill it. Then I'd pull another one out of the same box and it would take the juice no problem. I ended up ordering some from a few places and comparing them to the boges and when you look at the inside from the top on all of them except the boges you could see where the wrapping of the filler ended but the boges you couldn't...if that makes sence. I hope boge fixes the issues there're having because I love the airflow and performance they have...they've been hit or miss for a while now. DISCLAMOR... These are my opinions only. Lol.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Someone posted today that they have some 3.0 OHM Iken's that read 2.0 OHMS.

Good point. Never assume that *any* carto has the advertised ohms. That's why I test every new carto with a multi-meter. Not everyone wants to mess with a multi-meter and that's fine. Just remember, with any new carto, set the voltage low and slowly bump it up.

New cartos require patience when filling, especially Iken cartos. Plan ahead and give them a good long soak after filling.

JJ :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you JJ! I will try again and give it more time plus I will set my Provari very low to start like at 3v. Hopefully this works or I have 20 useless Ikenvapes :(

If nothing works, contact Isaac, he's a good man. Maybe it's a bad batch. It happens.

It shouldn't be so difficult.

jfalbanese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Westport, WA
all the time. especially when food is involved:blink:

2013-01-13 08.10.10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread