I'm possibly switching to V4L. Need some info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B I L

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Hemet, CA
I want to switch from Smokeless Image to V4L. SI has tanks and batteries that aren't very interchangeable with other brands and they are out of stock quite often. I need to get rid of my old SI stuff and change completely to a more popular hardware. I guess I could compare prices at vap stores in my town.

I'm a little confused on what to get at V4L. Right now I have Volt Spinners batteries 650 mAh and Aspire BDC Clearomizers. I really like that set up. So I want to get about the same kind of set up. Maybe the next size bigger battery.

Or if someone can suggest a different setup I would really appreciate it. I was thinking maybe the Vapor Zeus Variable Voltage e Cig Battery - Manual with the 3.5 ml dual coil tank - 808D threading. Although I would like to get a tank with a screw on tip.

Suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

av8tor

Mar 21, 2010
Back in the States
Bil, I agree with Ms. Eleanor on this one. If you go V4L for your equipment you will still be stuck with proprietary connections. Ego is a good starter kit with readily available 510 threading. Mech mods (I own a V-Scope) also almost all come in 510 threading and you can add the tank of your choosing. I purchase from V4L for juices and like them alot but the hardware locks you into their brand unless you can find 808 somewhere else. Hope this helps.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
If you go V4L for your equipment you will still be stuck with proprietary connections.

KR-808D threading is not proprietary, although it is certainly not as common as 510 or eGo threading.

I bought a lot of V4L gear early on and had to make the switch to 510 when I started buying more mainstream 510 threaded mods.

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
If you want the greatest compatibility, you can't go wrong with an iStick 30W. It's small, it's cheap ($30-35), it's well-reviewed. It comes with an ego adapter if you desire that. It gives all-day battery life, can be used as a pass-through, and has a solid stainless steel spring-loaded 510 connector. If in the future you wanted to try subohm vaping, it supports that too. For even more battery life, the 50W version is a great upgrade at the cost of a little size, and supports even lower resistances.

The market is filled with great 510-threadded tanks (clearomizers, or even carto tanks if you want - but they're old news). Starting with an Aspire Nautilus Mini or Kanger Subtank Nano ($20-25) is a great first step. Or even cheaper, Eleaf's own GS Air M clearomizer is an incredible value at only $10. Coils can last weeks in either and are around $2 a piece.

When new fancy gear comes out that interests you, wouldn't you want to just buy it and know it works on your device?

B I L

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Hemet, CA
If you want the greatest compatibility, you can't go wrong with an iStick 30W. It's small, it's cheap ($30-35), it's well-reviewed. It comes with an ego adapter if you desire that. It gives all-day battery life, can be used as a pass-through, and has a solid stainless steel spring-loaded 510 connector. If in the future you wanted to try subohm vaping, it supports that too. For even more battery life, the 50W version is a great upgrade at the cost of a little size, and supports even lower resistances.

The market is filled with great 510-threadded tanks (clearomizers, or even carto tanks if you want - but they're old news). Starting with an Aspire Nautilus Mini or Kanger Subtank Nano ($20-25) is a great first step. Or even cheaper, Eleaf's own GS Air M clearomizer is an incredible value at only $10. Coils can last weeks in either and are around $2 a piece.

When new fancy gear comes out that interests you, wouldn't you want to just buy it and know it works on your device?

Sounds like a winner. I'm gonna go ahead and order the iStick 30W. The Mini Kanger Subtank Clearomizer. The tank is 4.5ml which might be a little big but I can order that and the iStick on the same website. (MVS) The only thing about the tank is in the pic it seems to be a little complicated with screws, springs, rings, etc. I don't really want a tank that I have to rebuild. Also, I don't think I could get the replacement coils on the same site. I'm wondering if I should just order the iStick and go into a local store and buy the tanks.

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
Sounds like a winner. I'm gonna go ahead and order the iStick 30W. The Mini Kanger Subtank Clearomizer. The tank is 4.5ml which might be a little big but I can order that and the iStick on the same website. (MVS) The only thing about the tank is in the pic it seems to be a little complicated with screws, springs, rings, etc. I don't really want a tank that I have to rebuild. Also, I don't think I could get the replacement coils on the same site. I'm wondering if I should just order the iStick and go into a local store and buy the tanks.

The subtank mini is an upper/mid-tier clearomizer offering more features such as the included, but optional, rebuildable RDA.. it's a fine tank. There's no need to worry about o-rings, they are present in one form or another on all clearomizers; they prevent leaking. If you want to thoroughly clean the tank before use, just put the o-rings back where they were. I'm not aware of any screws on this tank, the original subtank had them but not the mini AFAIK. The RDA attachment is where screws would come in if you chose to use it.

edit: I think you may be misconstruing how these clearomizers work. You install a coil, fill it up. Vape until empty, refill, repeat. When a coil fails/burns/clogs you take out the bad coil, screw in the good one and go back to vaping. It's super easy, not much can go wrong.

Last edited:

B I L

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Hemet, CA
Thanks everyone. I ordered the iStick 30W and the Kanger Mini Subtank. I found out the subtank comes with
  • 1 x Mini SUBTANK
  • 1 x OCC: 0.5 Sub Ohm / Range 15 - 30 W
  • 1 x OCC: 1.2 Ohm / Range 12 - 25 W
  • 1 x RBA Coil (Organic Cotton made in Japan)
  • 1 x Three Piece RBA Unit
  • 3 x Replacement O-rings
  • 1 x Screw Driver
  • 2 X Screws
  • 1 x Manual
  • 1 x Glass Replacement Tank
That's why I was getting overwhelmed cause it comes with a screwdriver, screws etc. But I guess that's if I want to rebuild the extra coil it comes with. I was watching a youtube video and the coil that comes in the tank is the .5 sub ohm. What's the difference between the .5 sub ohm and the 1.2 ohm? And when I order more, which one should I get? I won't be using the re buildable coil. Don't want to mess with those.

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
Thanks everyone. I ordered the iStick 30W and the Kanger Mini Subtank. I found out the subtank comes with
  • 1 x Mini SUBTANK
  • 1 x OCC: 0.5 Sub Ohm / Range 15 - 30 W
  • 1 x OCC: 1.2 Ohm / Range 12 - 25 W
  • 1 x RBA Coil (Organic Cotton made in Japan)
  • 1 x Three Piece RBA Unit
  • 3 x Replacement O-rings
  • 1 x Screw Driver
  • 2 X Screws
  • 1 x Manual
  • 1 x Glass Replacement Tank
That's why I was getting overwhelmed cause it comes with a screwdriver, screws etc. But I guess that's if I want to rebuild the extra coil it comes with. I was watching a youtube video and the coil that comes in the tank is the .5 sub ohm. What's the difference between the .5 sub ohm and the 1.2 ohm? And when I order more, which one should I get? I won't be using the re buildable coil. Don't want to mess with those.

Test out both coils and see which you like more :). Order some of both if you like both, it comes with one of each. I have watched and read reviews on many of kanger's products, but havent yet vaped on one myself. I ordered the subtank plus a couple days ago so I'll be running through the same tests as you. But I bought a 5pack of both as well.

Reactions: B I L

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast

Good luck, Bil! I buy my Kanger Mini Pro-Tank 2 clearos from MVS; that is a great website with good prices. (My clearos are KISS: glass, single bottom coil, available in 3 different ohms, and with cheap replacement coils! :D) They are Ego-threaded.

The only negative I've seen re the iStick is that it runs very hot, which can spoil some eliquids. Don't be afraid to try a good old Ego-C Twist as an alternative!

Can't help but laugh at the fact the V4L sub-forum is openly being used to steer people away from V4L. Just sayin'.... :)

:lol: I know! I "know" Bil from the SI forum, so I kind of wanted to "protect" him from making a frustrating mistake . . . yes it's rude, but whatareyagonnadoaboutit?

Reactions: B I L

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
Can't help but laugh at the fact the V4L sub-forum is openly being used to steer people away from V4L. Just sayin'.... :)

I'd have no problem recommending the zeus to a clueless want-to-be ex-smoker not caring about the premium pricetag, if I knew their "new" smileos were restocked and work properly again. But even if that were the case, as BIL wanted something compatible with the growing-fast forest of hardware out there, it wouldn't have been prudent to recommend the V4L ecosystem.

Well, they sure have let their forum go. Amazing.

However, I buy my liquids from them with NO problems, except when they are out of stock, which happens frequently because of so many sales.

Some of their juices are good. Been waiting for a flavor of theirs for a while, not available in below 11mg strength... sigh. Other vendors mix them as the orders come in, there's no question of something being in or out of stock, which is why those vendors get the majority of my business.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Crap - Meant to post this earlier and it only has a few hours left,
but if you like their juice at V4L and they have it in stock (I
buy 11 mg for smaller clearos) they do have a Mother's Day
promo code of (I think) FB25 for 25% off. Exclusions apply of
course but I got the full 25% off the juice no problem. Probably
a couple hours left on that code.

Status