I'm SO motivated BUT now overwhelmed by how to begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phase2

Oct 4, 2013
West Troy, MI
Hi everyone! Boy am I thrilled & thankful to have found you!! I've spent some time researching answers to my initial questions (inhaling & just what is in these?), and I think I have a clue about those questions, thanks to the group. But I AM overwhelmed how to begin...will BLU (I now know where to get them today) at least get me going until I have time to research and understand the set ups? I soooo want to succeed! Thanks for any help and advice! Can't wait to have my own track record with the high numbers of cigarettes NOT smoked that I'm seeing on member's replies!!

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
I have heard Blu is quite nasty tasting, but I will see what I can find for you.

Until then I wrote this for a friend and it has been well received here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-newbies-quick-primer-form-letter-friend.html

Do you want something that looks and feels like a cigarette or do you want to try a slightly larger e-cig?

This is the cig-a-like that I started out with:
Q510 Starter Kit (Automatic, Black) | 510 Model | Starter Kits | iVAPE

I figured at ten bucks it was a no-brainer if it didn't work. Best 10 bucks I ever spent :)

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Thanks!! Wow! Can't wait to read it! I'd prefer something that looks and feels like a cigarette.

Then for now I would just get the $10 kit I linked(in post #2 above) and a 15ml bottle of this:

RY 4 Tobacco - eLiquid Flavor - ECBlend

which you can drip on the cartridges in the Q510 kit when they fizzle out......lots to learn but it happens pretty quick :)

Welcome, by the way :)

ohmyidontthinkthisworks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
No Where, Iowa
Njoy king are prolly the best disposable. I had blu and it was never great. I started where you are and like the convenience of smaller pen style ones, but eventually battery life stuff started to make me sad lol. Anyways welcome to the forum, wealth of information to help with your journey.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can understand wanting to get a cigalike (cigarette-sized battery) like Blue to start out with. Most new vapors want something that looks like and feels like a cigarette. But understand that vaping is not like smoking. The small cigalike batteries have major limitations that a larger size battery will not. With vaping, the bigger the battery the better the vaping experience will be in nearly all cases.

I suggest skipping the cigalike stage altogether and going with a slightly larger format like an Ego style battery. Still lightweight and a manageable, pocket-friendly size of a cigar. You will get much longer battery time, more options in juice attachments, and a better vape experience.

vivinovamini-twist.jpg

A Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vapor

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos & Mods

Even better yet, an Innokin iTaste MVP. It uses a high capacity, built-in rechargeable battery that can last up to 3 days on a charge. Can be used as a pass-thru (you can continue to vape with it while it is charging). Still pocket-friendly, and priced the same ($50) as any other starter setup like a cigalike or Ego. These are extremely popular for novices and advanced vapors alike.

Innokin_iTaste_MVP.jpg MVP V2.jpg

Last edited:

ClairzyDoats

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Fairfield, CT, USA
I think a Blu may disappoint you to the point of failure. Over at Vapor Beast, they're selling an Ego-Twist Ultra Kit. While I think the kit is kind of pricey, that's the set-up that I would recommend and, in fact, it's what I've given to a friend along with some sample juices. The components can be bought separately for less (at Fasttech, for a lot less) but I know that Vapor Beast has a wicked fast turnaround (Fasttech may take a month). All you would need is some juice which Vapor Beast sells or you could take a look at Velvet Cloud Vapor which is running a 20% off sale (their Caramel Tobacco and Nutty Cookie are great).

This is the type of kit many of us wish was around when we were starting and you could use this type of system for a very long time with great results.

Good luck with whatever you ultimately choose.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Hi, and Welcome! I hope you find what you like!

Starting with an e-cig from the local convenience store isn't the worst idea (I know that "I gotta get one in my hand right away" feeling).

But it might a) Make you think that e-cigs aren't right for you, and/or b) Get you to waste money on inferior stuff, making you wish you'd waited a bit for the good stuff.

Don't be intimidated by the vast array of choices out there. There are a lot of very good ones, and different people like different setups.

If money isn't the critical issue, run out and buy whatever's available, BUT please realize that this is just skimming the surface (and in reality, skimming the bottom surface, since they're about the worst you can get IMHO). No judgement; you might find that you like them, and even if you don't you should know that there's a really big "uphill" from there!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I started with Blu disposables and it got me to believe.

I still like the Blu Classic Tobacco flavor and Johnson Creek's Red Oak Domestic is almost indistinguishable from what they put in the Blu disposables and cartridges. I like it so much that I refuse to run out of that liquid and I am closing on duplicating it in my evil DIY liquid lab.

I also really liked the NJoy King (get the extra) disposable.

However, like others have said, you will quickly find that store-bought disposables and the starter kits from Blu and NJoy are not cost effective and can end up costing you a lot more than smoking. They're fine to get started with. Enjoy them while you find out the features of the various options available and find the right one for you. Here are a couple of suggestions on high quality, reasonably priced starter kits.

Kanger eVod Kit - Red

DV eGo-T Starter Kit - 900mah

I'm not affiliated with the company linked above. But that is a great vendor with great prices, fast shipping and outstanding customer service.

If you like the Blu, here's the site that supplies their flavors:

Smoke Juice Johnson Creek Smoke Juice

CCC1

Sep 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I started with the 510 cigalike kit. I wish I'd skipped it. The batteries didn't last long enough and the constant refilling got old fast. But.....it did get me started and I never had an analog after starting on those. By day 2 I knew that the cigalikes weren't going to cut it for long so I ordered an ego starter kit. Huge improvement. And then vaper back-up syndrome struck and I knew that with just 2 batteries if one died or got lost I'd be down to one unit and doomed. So I ordered an Evod starter kit and I wish I'd started with this one. Love it!!!

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
Hi Phase,

You can try a blu but they're really not representative of what vaping is. I bought one when I decided I was going to give e cigs a try and it tasted horrible. So don't get discouraged if you don't like it.

I think the best thing to do first is to check and see if there are any vapor shops in your area. This way you can actually see and feel stuff. If not, I would suggest ordering a small starter kit on line like one of the Joye Egos. Don't get hung up on it looking exactly like a cigarette at first. Good luck and keep everyone updated.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
If you want something to just start with until you decide on a real set up, I would suggest disposables. Blu is not bad, but if you can get an Njoy King, that would probably be better.
Tastes vary-- I had the opposite experience, preferring Blu to the NJoy King.

I'd prefer something that looks and feels like a cigarette.
A lot of us started out thinking that we needed/preferred a "cigalike" but quickly discovered that the other options were actually better suited to our needs and desired. There are some vapers who stick with and are happy with cigalikes, but I would strongly encourage you not to either write off the other options or invest too heavily in a cigalike until you've given the other options a try. A great Evod starter kit* only costs around the same amount as a carton of smokes, and the Evod & battery are really not too much bigger than a Blu. :)

* Plastic tanks are not a good choice for strong citrus or cinnamon flavors. If you want those flavors, you might want to start with a couple of Kanger Mini Protank IIs on the same style batteries. Add a battery charger and replacement coils to complete the kit. A USB wall socket is also available if you want it.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Some of the responses in this thread are demonstrative of a simple fact in vaping: Taste is highly subjective.

I loved the Blu Classic Tobacco flavor.

If I were just starting out, I'd do it exactly the same. I'd try a disposable from Blu, NJoy and Fin (those are the only brands readily available here). While enjoying those and convincing myself that I can do this, I'd do my homework on more efficient, more cost effective setups.

Then, I'd order my first kit and begin my collection of backups to backups.

ClairzyDoats

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Fairfield, CT, USA
Adding to my first post, make sure that you've read through the various posts on why vaping is not like smoking. You really need to understand this so that you're not discouraged from the get-go. Also, if you choose to skip the cig-a-like stage or when you're ready to graduate from it, you will need to familiarize yourself with the concept that some e-liquids are tasteless or even awful right out of the mail and have to be steeped for a few weeks. You don't want to choose one of these as your starter juice unless you have a few weeks lead time.

Yes, I know this complicates things and may make those ready-made cig-a-likes look better and better. They're really not. Really.

Once again, good luck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sane Asylum said:
I think the best thing to do first is to check and see if there are any vapor shops in your area. This way you can actually see and feel stuff. If not, I would suggest ordering a small starter kit on line like one of the Joye Egos. Don't get hung up on it looking exactly like a cigarette at first.

:thumb: This is the best advice given so far. Actually trying and comparing a cigalike vs an Ego vs a mod will help you decide if just getting a cigalike is worthwhile or would be a waste of hard-earned money.

You can check this directory that ECF provides to see if a vape shop is within driving distance to you at your location in Michigan:

Home - ECF E Cigarette Store Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread