I'm thinking about squonk mods and need a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikinNex

Aug 1, 2017
I've been vaping on and off for about 2 years. I recently got back into it and I want to step up my game. I've never dripped or used a rebuildable.
I was thinking about just getting an RDA for my current mod, then I discovered squonk mods.
I've been looking at the CoV Wraith. My other option is the Dripbox 160.
I'm leaning towards the Wraith right now. The Dripbox has dual batteries which could be a plus. Size doesn't matter much because it will mostly be for vaping at home (won't be walking around with it) it just needs to be comfortable in my hand. But on the same note since I will be mostly using it at home I will have access to several batteries.
I'm also thinking about using the Pulse 22 squonk RDA. I really like the vents and the fact that it was designed specifically for squonk mods by an avid squonk user.
I'm going to be using prebuilt Claptons/aliens until I get more used to how things work.
Any opinions and comments are welcome. I don't want to get in over my head or end up with something of questionable quality.

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Never used a wraith but +1 on the pulse- I just got one and its an awesome single coil* RDA right up there with RDA's costing several times more. Also the dripbox 160 is another +1, easy to use, comfortable and batts last quite a while since there's two. Its easy to get the batteries out as is the bottle, just dont lose the plate on the bottom holding the bottle in-its just held on by magnets.

*once you get the hang of single coils and want to do duals, you could wrap a parallel coil, that is two separate wires side by side on the same mandrel. Great way to do dual coils in a single coil configuration.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
watching with interest, been meaning to get a squonker for ages but I want an affordable dual battery with good TC and IIRC the kanger gets mediocre TC reviews.

*once you get the hang of single coils and want to do duals, you could wrap a parallel coil, that is two separate wires side by side on the same mandrel. Great way to do dual coils in a single coil configuration.

fyi there is also a 24mm dual coil version of the pulse out now

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
watching with interest, been meaning to get a squonker for ages but I want an affordable dual battery with good TC and IIRC the kanger gets mediocre TC reviews.

fyi there is also a 24mm dual coil version of the pulse out now
The tc on the Kanger dripbox is horrible. I does work ver well on power mode. For a squonk mod spend the money and get a Lost Vape Drone BF167. $125 from fasttech. It's worth every penny.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I agree with the above that the dripbox is a good starter. If just testing the waters, I'd start there. Stock rda does suck, Pulse is good for single coil, I like the icon for dual.
Don't judge all squonkers by the dripbox though as it is a "cheap" starter with ok bottle etc....
As mentioned the drone is in a different class with a much larger bottle.
There are a lot and I mean alot of mechanical squonkers out there but I wouldn't start there till you get more comfortable building.
Oh and I'll go ahead and say welcome to the rabbit hole, it's fun down here lol.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
The tc on the Kanger dripbox is horrible. I does work ver well on power mode. For a squonk mod spend the money and get a Lost Vape Drone BF167. $125 from fasttech. It's worth every penny.
yeah, that is the one I will probably end up with eventually but I just made an impulse buy yesterday for an early birthday present for myself: local shop posted a cartel revenant for $95 out the door and I couldn't resist. It does great TC even with the non-adjustable pre-heat watts if I go with a 0.2ish ohm build instead of my normal 0.1ish ohm builds.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I've been vaping on and off for about 2 years. I recently got back into it and I want to step up my game. I've never dripped or used a rebuildable.
I was thinking about just getting an RDA for my current mod, then I discovered squonk mods.
I've been looking at the CoV Wraith. My other option is the Dripbox 160.
I'm leaning towards the Wraith right now. The Dripbox has dual batteries which could be a plus. Size doesn't matter much because it will mostly be for vaping at home (won't be walking around with it) it just needs to be comfortable in my hand. But on the same note since I will be mostly using it at home I will have access to several batteries.
I'm also thinking about using the Pulse 22 squonk RDA. I really like the vents and the fact that it was designed specifically for squonk mods by an avid squonk user.
I'm going to be using prebuilt Claptons/aliens until I get more used to how things work.
Any opinions and comments are welcome. I don't want to get in over my head or end up with something of questionable quality.

My only grip on the Wraith is it eats batteries. If your around the house then no bad to say about the Wraith. The RDA is comes with isn't the best but it does work.

I'm a dual battery guy myself. The Kanger, which are kinda hard to find, is nice but they don't last a super long time. The RDA they come with is not that great.

A Drone is what I'm currently using even though it very poorly made. I'd pay 50 bucks for another one but not a penny more knowing what I know now.

I've got a Rebel dual on the way but that may be abit more coin then your looking to spend.

For a good RDA I'm a huge Goon fan. I've got authentic and clones and they are equal. Another favorite of mine, well below the Goons but ahead of everything else is the Peerless.

One thing about the Goon for you is its dead simple to build. With the Goon deck and pre-built coils I'd say you could be vaping on a Goon in under 5 minutes the first time.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
yeah, that is the one I will probably end up with eventually but I just made an impulse buy yesterday for an early birthday present for myself: local shop posted a cartel revenant for $95 out the door and I couldn't resist. It does great TC even with the non-adjustable pre-heat watts if I go with a 0.2ish ohm build instead of my normal 0.1ish ohm builds.

I have a Cartel Revenant and I love that mod. I have an OBS Engine married to it. In my opinion you can't get a better setup.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
My only grip on the Wraith is it eats batteries. If your around the house then no bad to say about the Wraith. The RDA is comes with isn't the best but it does work.

I'm a dual battery guy myself. The Kanger, which are kinda hard to find, is nice but they don't last a super long time. The RDA they come with is not that great.

A Drone is what I'm currently using even though it very poorly made. I'd pay 50 bucks for another one but not a penny more knowing what I know now.

I've got a Rebel dual on the way but that may be abit more coin then your looking to spend.

For a good RDA I'm a huge Goon fan. I've got authentic and clones and they are equal. Another favorite of mine, well below the Goons but ahead of everything else is the Peerless.

One thing about the Goon for you is its dead simple to build. With the Goon deck and pre-built coils I'd say you could be vaping on a Goon in under 5 minutes the first time.

Goon are ok. I like the Icon or Apocalypse much better for a 24mm RDA. On the Drone I use 28mm or 30mm RDAs.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I have the Pulse 22 rda single coil. It's great! For dual coil, I heard the Dead Rabbit rda from Heathen on YouTube is highly desirable. Go check out some vids on YouTube before you decide.

You might outgrow the Wraith real fast though. I was going to get one too, but after watching vids & reading comments I passed on it. YMMV.

Reactions: ChikinNex

ChikinNex

Aug 1, 2017
Do yourself a huge favor and keep it simple with a REO Grand mechanical squonker and an RBA. 18650 mod that once set up, you never have to deal with an issue.

I've been vaping for 6.5 years. I've owned everything. Trust me.

I was thinking about using a mech squonker but most people are saying it's not a good way to start. Although before all these fancy adjustable mods I was using a mech mod. I was using a regular tank though not an RDA.
I also like the idea of the wattage being adjustable for fine tuning of different juice flavors. A visible battery meter is handy as well.

Last edited:

ChikinNex

Aug 1, 2017
I have the Pulse 22 rda single coil. It's great! For dual coil, I heard the Dead Rabbit rda from Heathen on YouTube is highly desirable. Go check out some vids on YouTube before you decide.

You might outgrow the Wraith real fast though. I was going to get one too, but after watching vids & reading comments I passed on it. YMMV.

What videos/comments made you change your mind? Most things I've seen really only complain about battery life and the slightly odd programming/adjusting.
I'm also worried about out growing it pretty fast. But it seems like the next tier of squonk mods are up around the $100+ range. I wouldn't mind dropping $100-200 on a good setup if I was positive I'd be sticking with it for a while. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to find out it's not a good vape style for me.
But if I go a less expensive route and want to upgrade soon, the $50-80 I spend on the "starter setup" will basically be wasted.
If I was just getting another mod and tank there wouldn't be an issue. This is a totally different style of vaping that I haven't tried.

ChikinNex

Aug 1, 2017
Ok, I was just doing some thinking on this for a minute. If I get a higher end squonk mod and for some strange reason I'm like "f@ck squonk" I can use it as a regular mod correct? I could just use the regular 510 and use the squonk atty as a dripper or attach a tank. And I can use the squonk bottle to hold extra juice.
The right squonk mod is potentially a completely modular vape that can be used in every style you can think of. That almost sounds too good to be true. There has to be a down side somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread