• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

i'm trying very hard not to think that my government is just plain evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
Smokers' Former Homes May Retain Tobacco Toxins - healthfinder.gov

this after the idiotic surgeon general's report from last week saying that exposure, either actively or passively to ONE cigarette's worth of toxins can cause dna changes that can KILL ME.

(fat lot of good that message would be, hey? i mean, if i'm tens of THOUSANDS OF CIGARETTES in already, why stop smoking if I'm doomed to die of cancer anyway?!)

if smoking is THIS horrible, then my government needs to answer some questions for me:

1. why are cigarettes still legal?
2. why is my government relying on the taxes generated from the sale of cigarettes
3. why is my government fighting MY choice of using an e-cigarette to avoid this horrible product that my government relies on for tax revenue?

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Ok...that got my blood pressure boiling again - these IDIOTS!

a few more questions you need to ask: why, if tobacco smoke is SO DEADLY, SO DANGEROUS, SO TOXIC, AND SO HORRIBLE, are there people who have smoked for 50+ years still walking around?

Why didn't the human race die of tobacco toxins in the 'less enlightened' times when everyone smoked, blissfully unaware of the dangers of this product?

Do you really think that tobacco toxins can penetrate WALLS???? If this stuff is so pervasive, so forceful as to be able to get through drywall, timber and insulation, why doesn't it EAT through people who inhale this stuff directly into their lungs?

Is ANYONE stupid enough to believe this claptrap???

I'm done venting now...thanks for listening :D

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
if smoking is THIS horrible, then my government needs to answer some questions for me:

1. why are cigarettes still legal?
2. why is my government relying on the taxes generated from the sale of cigarettes
3. why is my government fighting MY choice of using an e-cigarette to avoid this horrible product that my government relies on for tax revenue?

As Beavis (or was it Butthead) used to say, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh - I don't know.":confused:

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
a few more questions you need to ask: why, if tobacco smoke is SO DEADLY, SO DANGEROUS, SO TOXIC, AND SO HORRIBLE, are there people who have smoked for 50+ years still walking around?

Why didn't the human race die of tobacco toxins in the 'less enlightened' times when everyone smoked, blissfully unaware of the dangers of this product?

Do you really think that tobacco toxins can penetrate WALLS???? If this stuff is so pervasive, so forceful as to be able to get through drywall, timber and insulation, why doesn't it EAT through people who inhale this stuff directly into their lungs?

Is ANYONE stupid enough to believe this claptrap???

I'm done venting now...thanks for listening :D
Venting can be good. In yours & EW's vent, it reminded me of something I read years ago. It was by a guy who had quit smoking a few years before he wrote it. Something set him off one day & he wrote his thoughts. Here is a part that always stuck with me:

".........From the information out there, you would think that if you smoke, you get cancer. Is that true? Not necessarily. If a man smoked two packs a day for fifty years and is sixty-eight years of age, he has a fifteen percent chance of getting lung cancer. So, if you smoke for fifty years and don't quit, you have around a 1 in 7 chance of getting cancer? Truthfully, I don't know, since they are so bad with statistics I am sure they don't know for sure.

What do I mean, bad with statistics? I will give you an example. While doing my research, I have found it to be the universal truth that of all lung cancer patients, ninety percent of them got the cancer by smoking. They came to this conclusion because ninety percent of lung cancer patients smoke. In digging deeper, they say that the other ten percent are caused by radon, smog, asbestos etc. I say to you that could be the stupidest thing I have ever read. It is a statistical impossibility that none of the patients that smoke could have contracted cancer from another source such as the ones mentioned for the non-smokers. I guess smokers are immune to radon. I think the truth is there is a high percentage that is caused by smoking, but we just don't know how high. But hey, the ninety percent sure sounds good for the agenda......."

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
UW-CTRI: FDA-Approved Medications to Help You Quit Smoking

Of course, our favorite, the Inhaler:

Inhaler. Patients "puff" small doses of nicotine through this prescription product that looks similar to a cigarette. Unlike a cigarette, it doesn't contain any of the 4,000 harmful chemicals in cigarette smoke, including carbon monoxide. Treatment usually lasts eight to 12 weeks, depending on the patient.

Followed by, at the end by:

See Your Doctor
There’s no magic medication to cure addiction to nicotine. However, these medications can increase your chances of quitting two- or three-fold. It’s important to discuss any medication with your doctor to be sure you're using it safely, at the correct dosage and for the appropriate duration

Ok....so, what magical powers does this NICOTROL contain that makes it sooo much better than the evil, untested e-cig?

Maybe someone else can find out what the ingrediants are, because the only thing I can find is nicotine.
:yawn: I'm tried of searching

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
Nicotrol Inhaler 10mg - HealthWarehouse.com

well, the inhaler sure isn't cheap. ($200 online for one inhaler and 168 cartridges) also an rx is required for it. looks like it's a "step down" program. the highest nicotine i found was 10mg. (and here i vape 24mg normally)

warnings on the product include warnings to diabetics because there is something in the inhaler that affects blood sugar levels. no idea what it is, because finding the "pharacologically inert inactive" ingredients in it has proved to be a tough task for all of us, I guess. i was reading on ECF questions from diabetics concerned about PG metabolizing as glucose (i didn't keep reading the thread, but you could probably search and find it). the product also contains menthol as one of the mentioned ingredients. i supposed that could be a problem for non-menthol smokers using it.

it also says that the majority of the nicotine in the inhaler is MEANT to be absorbed in the throat. and of course, the side effects are burning, coughing, upset stomach, etc. (unsurprising.)

the sheets on it say that once you open a cartridge, it's only good for 1 day. so, you have to use it or toss it out after its opened.

then i looked up the nicotine nasal spray. there are some funny youtube vids of people using this stuff. let's just say, the effects do not look pleasant. btw, lots of nasal sprays DO contain PG, nicotrol NS does not.

it's also very expensive. one 10ml bottle of 10mg nicotrol NS is also 200.00.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
However, these medications can increase your chances of quitting two- or three-fold.

Here's the thing - the success of quitting cold turkey - with NO nicotine - is 10%. The chances of quitting with an NRT is 7% after "treatment" is completed.

Unless my mathmatical skills are seriously flawed, 7% is not 2-3 times larger than 10%.

Now, if they mean you have 0% chance of quitting without NRTs and NRTs increase your chance 2-3 times, then that means NRTs increase your chances of quitting to 2-3%. Hmmm....really sounds "effective" to me and certainly worth $200. NOT!

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
Here's the thing - the success of quitting cold turkey - with NO nicotine - is 10%. The chances of quitting with an NRT is 7% after "treatment" is completed.

NRTs increase your chances of quitting to 2-3%. Hmmm....really sounds "effective" to me and certainly worth $200. NOT!

think of any single product you would EVER buy that had a 90%+ failure rate. yet this is exactly that these people want us to do. and people believe this stupidity. and it makes me very, very angry.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Essentially, the MAGIC is that the manufacturer paid a ton of $$$

BINGO! congrats, Vicks! You just won yourself a bottle of juice, of my choosing, from my stash.
Hmmm.....what flavor should I tempt you with? ;) hee hee hee

think of any single product you would EVER buy that had a 90%+ failure rate. yet this is exactly that these people want us to do. and people believe this stupidity. and it makes me very, very angry.

What blows my mind is the fact that this govt sponsored website says EXACTLY what we all say about e-cigarettes. But of course, because millions of tax dollars weren't spent to develop it, e-cig baaaad...prescription gooood.
I wonder what's going to happen when their own words are tossed back at them......:)

Well I am kind of a personal resposibilty guy. So I don't really think the government should tell grown ups what they can put in their bodies.

Bless you Brad; wish there was more of you in the world!

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Study of National Heart Attack Admissions and Mortality Finds No Evidence of a Short-Term Effect of Smoking Bans

a bright spot, small though it may be. and the university of wisconsin was involved. but that it takes RAND getting Standford, and the UW to prove the helena story on smoking bans was 100% bullshi* is a pretty sad commentary on how far down the rabbit hole we've gone on the smoking "debate" (in quotes, because DEBATE requires at least TWO sides of an issue to participate). and worse, it won't CHANGE anything in the end. in the end, all that matters is what people WANT to believe--and they want to believe bullshi*.

(feeling a little grumpy today, i admit)

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread