IMPORTANT - email from FDA to a supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hello all, the supplier in question has asked to remain anonymous but has given me permission to reprint in full the email he received from the FDA.

Included is his response - I will update as soon as he receives a reply.

Cc: "Wollscheid, Kristine" <Kristine.wollscheid@fda.hhs..gov>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:05:15 PM

Your recent inquiry directed to the Division of Drug Information in FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, regarding the regulatory status of so-called "electronic" cigarettes, was forwarded to my office for reply.

Please note that in order to make a definitive determination of the regulatory status of any product it is necessary that we review a complete description of the product's design, function, its formulation, labeling and promotion, and any other information that describe the product's intended uses. In addition, as a matter of policy, we limit communications about the regulatory status of specific marketed products to those responsible for them, and we do not discuss our enforcement actions except with the targets of those actions.

The "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes that we have reviewed are drug-device combinations under section 503(g)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) (21 U.S.C. 353(g)(1)) with their "drug" uses, as defined by section 201(g) of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 321(g)), as the primary mode of action. These products contain no tobacco leaf or stem material, but are designed to look like conventional cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. They are intended to be manipulated and used in ways similar to how a smoker manipulates and uses the conventional tobacco products. And, like the conventional tobacco products, they are intended primarily for the delivery of volatilized chemical substances to affect the body's structures and functions and/or to mitigate or treat the symptoms of nicotine addiction through a chemical or metabolic action on the body. The "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes that we have reviewed are designed with a re-chargeable battery-operated heating element that volatilizes the chemical constituents contained within replaceable cartridges.. These cartridges may or may not include nicotine. Thus, the "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, AND their components, that we have reviewed are intended to affect the body's structures and functions and, in some cases, to treat or prevent withdrawal symptoms of nicotine addiction. (See 21 C.F.R. 201.128 for the meaning of "intended uses.")

Since we are not aware of any data establishing that such products are generally recognized among scientific experts as safe and effective for these "drug" uses, they are "new drugs," as defined by section 201(p) of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 321(p)) requiring approval of an application filed with FDA in accordance with section 505 of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 355) to be legally marketed in the United States. None of these so-called "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, OR their components, is covered by an approved NDA. Nor are any of these products covered by an approved application for premarket approval (PMA) in accordance with section 515(a) of the Act (21 U.S.C. 360e(a)), or by an approved application for an investigational device exemption (IDE) under section 520(g) of the Act (21 U.S.C. 360j(g)).

Therefore, the marketing of the "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, described above, in the United States without an approved NDA violates sections 505 and 501(f)(1)(B) of the Act (21 U.S.C. 355 and 351(f)(1)(B)) and they are subject to enforcement action. Furthermore, the "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, AND their components, that we have reviewed are not subject to the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act (FCLAA), Pub. L. No. 89-92, (15 U.S.C. §§ 1331 et seq), nor are they subject to the Comprehensive Smokeless Tobacco Health Education Act (CSTHEA), Pub. L. No. 98-474 (1986), (15 U.S.C. §§ 4401 et seq). Thus, they do not fit within the regulatory scheme that Congress has established for tobacco products.

FDA has detained and refused several importations of various brands of these "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, AND their components, and the agency is continuing to evaluate them on a case-by-case basis.

Your e-mail does not change our position on the regulatory status of these products, i.e., they are still intended to affect the body's structures and functions and to treat, mitigate or prevent nicotine addiction symptoms when one can't or chooses not to smoke conventional tobacco products. As noted in my previous e-mail, such products are drug-device combinations that require premarket clearance through the new drug application procedures of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).

Regarding the regulatory status of these products and their components, as explained in my original e-mail to you, a claim/representation for smoking cessation is not the only element FDA evaluates in making these determinations. We focus on the product's "intended uses." FDA considers ALL of the circumstances surrounding the marketing of a product in determining its "intended uses." See 21 C.F.R. 201.128. The key elements in evaluating these products is whether they are intended to affect the body's structures and functions and/or to treat, mitigate, or prevent disease (e.g., nicotine addiction). See section 201(g) of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 321(g)).

For your information and guidance, I am attaching a copy of a Regulatory Letter FDA issued concerning products marketed under the name "Favor." Like the "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes we have reviewed, those products were nicotine-delivery systems, and they were offered, among other things, as alternatives to conventional cigarettes to provide the same smoking and/or satisfaction derived from conventional tobacco products. As I noted in my previous e-mail, FDA has detained and refused all of the "electronic cigarettes" (and "electronic" cigars and pipes) and their components offered for importation into the United States that we have reviewed. FDA has not allowed the importation of any of these products.

Also noted in my previous e-mail, a detailed discussion of the new drug application (NDA) process is available on FDA's Internet Web site at: http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/a...ns/default.htm.

Please note that it is the responsibility of each person marketing drug products in the United States to comply with all of the requirements of the Act and its implementing regulations. Should you have further questions concerning the manufacturing and labeling of drug-device combinations or drug products, I recommend that you retain the services of a consultant with specific expertise in these matters.

I hope this is helpful.

Kevin M. Budich
Compliance Officer
Food and Drug Administration
CDER/Office of Compliance
Division of New Drugs & Labeling Compliance
OTC Drugs Team
10903 New Hampshire Ave.
WO51-5174
Silver Spring, MD 20993
301-796-3304
kevin.budich@fda.hhs.gov
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:11 PM
To: Budich, Kevin M
Subject: Re: Electronic Cigarettes
Hi Kevin,

I appreciate your prompt and informative response. My intention was to market this device as an alternative to smoking, not a quit-smoking aid. Does this change anything regarding the necessity for approval? Also, the liquid used in the e-cigarette we were looking into is comprised of 3 ingredients: Propylene Glycol (approved by the FDA for use as an additive in food), tobacco-derived nicotine solution, and natural flavor. Do any of these ingredients require FDA approval?

Also, where can I find the proper forms to apply for FDA approval of our e-cigarette products should your response indicate that I will, in fact, need approval to sell these products in the US? Please do let me know.

Obi Wan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Florida
sounds like the fda have decided its intended use.
so they seem to be saying that even if suppliers change or remove how they are worded to be an altrnative to smoking instead of a way to help quit smoking wouldnt matter.
they can decide there intended use and make laws and regulations based on that decision.
although maybe there decision could change over time like how the nicotine patches went from pescription drugs to over the counter.
seems like they can do what they want anyway and will need some sort of testing done before they will allow imports or sales.
doubt we will see these in walgreens this month or even at malls soon.
not a very optimistic letter..

Brando

Mar 24, 2009
I wonder if some of the "authority" that the FDA as assumed with regard to the devices themselves will be ultimately decided in court? Just because they say the devices are "drug-delivery" devices doesn't mean that they in fact are. If it can be reasonably proven that the device "could" be used without any drug at all then a judge may in fact reverse this assumtion of authority. It wouldn't be the first time the FDA has been told this.

Nicotine in every form WILL be controlled and regulated by the Federal government as the House just passed a bill today giving the FDA that authority and the Senate will most certainly pass it's verison in May, figure by June of this year the president will sign it and Nicotine will become a "controlled" substance. Enforcing these new rulings will be another matter, since the FDA is way underfunded and can't even protect our food supply. Expect to see e-cigs popularity rise too when they force the change of tobacco forumlations. Since we are on the "bleeding edge" of this new technology expect bumps in the road, but we'll all get by and figure out ways to do what's best for ourselves.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
This is my first posting on this site. I think it helpful for e-cigarette users to contact Senator Lautenberg (Phone: (202) 224-3224, Fax: (202) 228-4054), as well as the DC offices of American Cancer Society, American Lung Association and American Heart Association (which issued a joint press release calling for the FDA to ban e-cigarettes), and let them know how these products helped users quit smoking and/or reduce cigarette consumption.

The folks calling for a ban on e-cigarettes really need to hear from users of the products.

The sensible policy solution for e-cigarettes (and other smokefree nicotine products that aren't sold as smoking cessation aids) is for the US Senate to amend Waxman's FDA tobacco bill with some of the responsible harm reduction provisions in Senator Burr's legislation (including regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products).

I've been collaborating with Joel Nitzkin in dealing with these issues

Bill Godshall
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
PO Box 81570
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
412-351-5880
Fax 351-5881
smokefree@compuserve.com

Apatel

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Illinois, USA
This is my first posting on this site. I think it helpful for e-cigarette users to contact Senator Lautenberg (Phone: (202) 224-3224, Fax: (202) 228-4054), as well as the DC offices of American Cancer Society, American Lung Association and American Heart Association (which issued a joint press release calling for the FDA to ban e-cigarettes), and let them know how these products helped users quit smoking and/or reduce cigarette consumption.

The folks calling for a ban on e-cigarettes really need to hear from users of the products.

The sensible policy solution for e-cigarettes (and other smokefree nicotine products that aren't sold as smoking cessation aids) is for the US Senate to amend Waxman's FDA tobacco bill with some of the responsible harm reduction provisions in Senator Burr's legislation (including regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products).

I've been collaborating with Joel Nitzkin in dealing with these issues

Bill Godshall
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
PO Box 81570
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
412-351-5880
Fax 351-5881
smokefree@compuserve.com

Do you really think they care? Unless I enclose a $200,000 check with my letter they won't read it. Many here already have email and written to them.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Frank Lautenberg truly desires to reduce smoking, but he's been misinformed about e-cigarettes.

The ACS, AHA, ALA also need to hear from e-cigarette users (who also should let them know they won't receive any more contributions until they change their position), as a top priority of those organizations is fund raising. I used to work at the ACS, which is very concerned about public criticism (of their organization) and negative press coverage.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Thanks for posting Bill..good to hear you are working on it. Interesting to hear that the ACS can be swayed by negative press. Can I ask you what the difference is between the NCI and the ACS?

I hope the OP can get an answer as to whether these would be allowed to be sold openly if the solution contained no nicotine. It seems that they would be.

Obi Wan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Florida
That's like saying if Mtn Dew was found to cause cancer because of the lemon lime flavoring, than every other carbonated drink whether it contained caffeine or not should be banned since caffeine is an addictive drug and the other drinks are used in a similar way to Mtn Dew. The bottles would be banned as well.

That actually makes so much sense ! but the fda wouldnt think about it that way because they are influenced by money or because they are anti any smoking.

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
Obi Wan Kanobi... You're our only hope... (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Anyways, Mr. Godshall has been e-mailing me some of the information which I have posted as of late. He, Dr. Nitzkin, and others truly seem intent on harm-reduction strategies. We are most fortunate to have advocates in such organizations as Smokefree Pennsylvania and the American Association of Public Health Physicians. These groups have put a lot of time and energy into improving public health, and that they see the merits of personal vaporizers is not insignificant.

I hope we can all come together to cooperate on building a smoke-free society that still allows individuals the freedoms of personal choice.

Cheers,
-Mickey

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Now, that was a doom-and-gloom letter. Don't see any light fringing those dark clouds.

This is obviously how the FDA sees an e-cig:

It treats the medical condition called nicotine addiction. It does that with or without nicotine. Why would a smoker use an e-cig with zero-nic unless it was to mimic the action of a cigarette and thus relieve craving anxiety?

With or without nicotine, the e-cig is a medical device to treat a condition. I was stunned to read, however, that no shipment they've discovered has been cleared to delivery. None. If they step up enforcement by Customs, that's a supply shut-down.

It's great to see someone of Bill's stature posting in this thread. We need people like him who can see the Big Picture of harm reduction. The narrow picture ends in a ban that tragically will continue tobacco cigarettes' deadly plague. The big picture helps move addicts to less harmful alternatives. Thanks for your help, Bill, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread