*Important information for anyone punching carto's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
As most of you know the self piercing saddle valve has been a great inexpensive way of punching you're own carto's .. The problem is they're are many different styles of brass saddle valves that all appear identical.. Please take note** that of the following model of saddle valve which CAN'T be used:
SUPCO SADDLE TAPPING VALVE MODEL STV2
http://arnoldservice.com/supco%20saddle%20valve%20package.jpg
This particular saddle valve comes with a hollow tip tap that creates 1/4" holes that render cartomizers useless...
On a good note if you prefer a step up from the standard brass saddle valve then a "C" clamp style "ROS" style aluminum tap for 3/8" pipe is even easier and more precise: cost $10- 12 USD.. Good Luck !!!

Last edited:

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Interesting. I have been using a dremel to slot mine but have considered buying a saddle valve for punching so that I don't have to deal with the sharp edges of the dremel cut. Thanks for the information because I would have thought anyone would work.

Yes, your right, they all look almost identical, the best thing I have found to do is go to either ACE hardware and they have one for $7.50 or Home Depot sells the "Max Cool" for $6.50.. The great thing about going to the store yourself is that you can double check the piercing tap to be positive it is a solid "pencil tip" style.. I believe most saddle valves advertised for use with swamp coolers or evaporative devices will have the right style tap, but again seeing it with your own eyes is the only positive way of knowing..
I chose the punch because it was much quicker then getting my dremel out and having to consume so much time with the precision that comes with making good slots...

Last edited:

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
a "C" clamp style "ROS" style aluminum tap for 3/8" pipe is even easier and more precise: cost $10- 12 USD.. Good Luck !!!

I did a quick search and came up with nothing. Can you please post a link of what this thing is please? Can I get it at lowes or home depot?

I was quite literaly just about to go out and buy a saddle valve. So I'm highly interested in this if it's better.

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I did a quick search and came up with nothing. Can you please post a link of what this thing is please? Can I get it at lowes or home depot?

I was quite literally just about to go out and buy a saddle valve. So I'm highly interested in this if it's better.

No, you can't get them at Home Depot or Lowes, though they are sold mainly on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Piercing-Saddle-Valve-Feed-Water-Copper-Pipe-Adapter-Brass-Fitting-ROsystem-/200655581921?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D320782778653%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5457605697761110800#ht_720wt_966

There is nothing wrong with the Brass style, and you can pick those ones up at your local hardware store, and you'll be able to make sure that it has the correct solid tip style tap.. Most saddle valves made for ice makers will come with a hollow tap which was what I ended up finding out that the "Supco STV-2" had.. If you decide to buy a "C" clamp style from eBay make sure you ask the seller if it has a hollow tip tap or not !!
Best advice I can give you is to go to a local Home Depot, ACE, Lowes, or Aubuchons hardware, and take a look at the tap with your eye.. This way you're positively getting what you need..
On a side note you may find a "C"-clamp style tap you can purchase "in hand" at a water filtration or Reverse osmosis water supply store...

Last edited:

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread