Imren Gold 20A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...an accurately rated battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The two cells tested were donated by The Vapor Emporium (Vaping Accessories, Kits, Liquids & Batteries - New Market, Maryland) for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    Writing this test report is a real pleasure. Not only is this cell accurately rated, it doesn't have the useless "pulse" or "max" rating in large numbers on the wrap. This is a good performing 20A 2500mAh cell that looks and performs identically to the LG HE4.
    The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2416mAh. This is great performance for a 2500mAh cell at 10A so I am rating it at 2500mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 67°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR). This is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 79°C, the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR. This is an indication that we are operating at its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 90°C, this is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 99°C, this is way above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating far above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a lot too.
    • At 35A and 40A continuous the temperature rose to 107°C and 105°C, respectively. This is above my 100°C safety cutoff and is obviously significantly above the cell's true rating. The voltage sag at these current levels is huge.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 20A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread