Imren Green 40A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...now 10A, shame on you Imren!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased by me for the purposes of testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This preposterously overrated Imren is now using a different cell, rated at just 10A!

The last time I tested this cell I rated it at 17A. It appeared to be a lower grade LG HG2. Now it appears that they are using a Panasonic cell. I don't have all of the them here for direct comparison but I've only seen the triangular top contact on a couple of Panasonics. It might be the 10A/2900mAh NCR18650PD. It performs too well to be the 3.6A/3200mAh NCR18650BE.

This Imren is one of the most overrated cells I've ever seen and should not be used at over 32W/10A. At its 40A rating the voltage completely collapsed and it only delivered a couple of mAh down to 3.2V. For best performance, stay under 20W/6A. Higher than that and performance will be terrible. If vaped with at around 65W/20A, and there is a mod malfunction or accidental button press, this battery will reach dangerous temperatures (about 116°C) and could possibly vent. My advice is to just not use it at all.

This 10A version can be identified by the following:
    - The logo has "Imren " in black lettering instead of white.
    - The top contact is triangular, with three "legs", instead of being circular with four legs.

Both versions are marked as IMR but they're not IMR chemistry. They're hybrid chemistry cells, sometimes called "INR".

The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    Pulsed tests were not done for this cell.

Differences between the 17A and 10A Imren
    image.jpeg

My Previous Test
    Imren Green 40A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just 17A, the purple Imren 3000mAh rewrapped!

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2807mAh. This is a terrible performance for a 3200mAh cell at 10A but good for a 2900mAh cell so I am rating this cell at 2900mAh.
    • At 10A continuous the temperature rose to 66°C. This is about the average temperature of a high-capacity cell running at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 92°C. This is an incredibly high temperature and an indication that we are operating at way above its CDR.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 116°C. This is significantly above my safety limit of 100°C and an indication that it should not be used at this level in case there is a mod malfunction or accidental button press.
    • At 30A and 40A (the cell's rating) there was a ridiculous amount of voltage sag. It only delivered a couple of mAh at 40A down to 3.2V. This is clearly not a 40A cell.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread