Imren Leopard 50A 2600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just a 20A rewrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This Imren is a rewrap with a ridiculously exaggerated current rating. It is identical in performance and appearance to the 20A 2600mAh Sony VTC5. At 27A continuous this cell gets hot enough to boil water. At its 50A rating down to 3.2V it only delivers about 15mAh (fifteen). I am giving this cell a 20A 2600mAh rating but Imren can change what cell they use at any time without telling us.

These cells were donated for the purpose of testing by the Vapor Emporium (The Vapor Emporium).

Continuous-Current Test Results (with VTC5 comparison)
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    I'm not wasting the time needed to pulse test this obvious rewrap. See my VTC5 pulse discharge tests to see how well this cell would perform when pulsed, unless Imren changes what cell is under the wrap.

Sony VTC5 2500mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 20A 2600mAh battery

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached about 2500mAh. This is very good performance for a 2600mAh-rated cell operating at 10A so I am rating this cell at 2600mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 71°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature for a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 81°C. This is just a couple degrees above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR, an indication that we're operating at its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 96°C. This is a significantly above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 109°C. This is way, way above the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR and is above my 100°C safety cutoff. The voltage is low and sagging a lot.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 119°C. This is a preposterously high temperature for a cell to operate at. The voltage is uselessly low.
    • Discharges were done at 40A and 45A continuous, showing the voltage plunging quickly to the 2.8V cutoff.
    • A discharge at 50A was done, the cell's rating, and the voltage instantly dropped to below 3.3V. The cell only supplied about 15mAh before dropping to 3.2V. This is clearly not a 50A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. Its temperature is the same as the Sony VTC5 operating at its CDR and at the time of my testing its appearance and performance are the same as a VTC5. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 20A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    How can they not understand doing things like this make them sell less batteries, they need to fire someone.
    I don't think it'll make them sell less batteries, unfortunately. Vapers who know about the problems with rewrapps are a minority, and that also includes a seemingly large number of vapers who've heard of the problems but refuse to admit it.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    I don't think it'll make them sell less batteries, unfortunately. Vapers who know about the problems with rewrapps are a minority, and that also includes a seemingly large number of vapers who've heard of the problems but refuse to admit it.

I don't know how many follow Mooch's testing but I know it's a lot, of course this is primarily English speaking folk.

In the large scale you are likely right, but battery awareness is getting better.

I know how some are and it shows how stupid they can be.

This is what we often see:

"I know these are 20A batteries but I haven't had any problems running them at 30A"

It's like they don't care about the safety of themselves or those in close proximity. Fortunately most vapers are using IMR or hybrid batteries, I'm thankful ICR has been pushed aside in the past few years.

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I don't know how many follow Mooch's testing but I know it's a lot, of course this is primarily English speaking folk.

In the large scale you are likely right, but battery awareness is getting better.

I know how some are and it shows how stupid they can be.

This is what we often see:

"I know these are 20A batteries but I haven't had any problems running them at 30A"

It's like they don't care about the safety of themselves or those in close proximity. Fortunately most vapers are using IMR or hybrid batteries, I'm thankful ICR has been pushed aside in the past few years.
    Yes, things are slowly but surely moving in the right direction. Still, very few of the popular reviewers dare (or care) to speak up about the inflated specs of rewraps (I'm looking at you Pbusardo).

And yeah, the "it has worked find for me"-crowd really bugs me. The last time I tried to educate on the matter was in the Smok G3 thread. Finally I simply had to give up.

Reactions: f1vefour

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Reviewers generally don't want to comment on batteries due to liability issues I'm guessing.

They say what is good then you use the batteries and they vent, next thing they know is a .... storm of drama.

I know PoH and Phil follow Mooch's (Mooches?) battery testing, likely all reviewers do but simply aren't mentioning it. Once Phil begins commenting others will follow suit.

WheelieMasterGoku

May 25, 2016
    So, question!
    I have 3 of these so-called "50A MAX/ 30A" Imren Cheetah turds in my RX200 Reulaux.

I was under the impression these were true 50amp pulse batteries. Currently have a 25mm Erebus Kaos RTA with 2 5 wrap claptons pushing about 0.22Ω.
    What wattage/voltage can SAFELY run this at? I get the series/parallel crap so I know the mod runs in series with 3 cells, but since these arent a true 50A battery, whats the pulse rating? What can I run these at? Id love to know.

The ramp up is a ..... under 90 watts but I don't want to waste the build I have in there as it performs well and I like it very much. Any answers would be appreciated. Im still trying to leanr all this ..... Only a few months it.

Ohms law calculator said .22 @ 80 watts equals 4.19 volts and around 19A. Obviously not taking into consideration voltage drop, etc... So what would you guys recommend I run this at, since he didn't do a pulse rating test on these.

This are what the local shop had on hand. Just notified my buddy who works there that these are rewraps.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    On a regulated device the coil resistance is unimportant, only the wattage is relevant in terms of the amp draw from the batteries.
    So 80W on your RX200 is 7 amps per battery at full charge and 9.3 amps discharged.
    If you want to be safe, then adhere to the known CDR of the cells you are using. This is the amperage that the cell can provide continuously. Drawing amp levels above the CDR is ill-advised for a number of reasons. Think of it like red lining the revs on an engine, you are going to damage your engine and sooner or later you are going to throw a conrod.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So, question!
    I have 3 of these so-called "50A MAX/ 30A" Imren Cheetah turds in my RX200 Reulaux.

I was under the impression these were true 50amp pulse batteries. Currently have a 25mm Erebus Kaos RTA with 2 5 wrap claptons pushing about 0.22Ω.
    What wattage/voltage can SAFELY run this at? I get the series/parallel crap so I know the mod runs in series with 3 cells, but since these arent a true 50A battery, whats the pulse rating? What can I run these at? Id love to know.

The ramp up is a ..... under 90 watts but I don't want to waste the build I have in there as it performs well and I like it very much. Any answers would be appreciated. Im still trying to leanr all this ..... Only a few months it.

Ohms law calculator said .22 @ 80 watts equals 4.19 volts and around 19A. Obviously not taking into consideration voltage drop, etc... So what would you guys recommend I run this at, since he didn't do a pulse rating test on these.

This are what the local shop had on hand. Just notified my buddy who works there that these are rewraps.

The Imren Leopard tested out as a 20A VTC5 rewrap...for now. This can change at any time.

Reactions: KenD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread